Mt. Adams anyone?

Love

I've been talking to a few cachers about planning a trek up Mt. Adams this year to find these caches (GC8D7C and GC1EZ3Y - maybe we could be first to find?). I meant to do the climb last year, but conditions early in the season didn't work out for it. I'm open to suggestions on a good weekend this summer to go. Maybe late June or in July sometime? I'm hoping to do lots of glissading to make the long trek up worth it. :D

I'd like to do the South Spur trail up. Camp the night before near the trail head and make the climb in a day. I would consider camping at the Lunch Counter if that's the consensus of the group, but I think a one day climb might make the climb easier since we wouldn't have to carry all the overnight gear.

I'm open to any advice on this since I've never even been to the base of Mt. Adams. I'd love to know where the best camping is for the night before, what passes are needed, etc.

So who's interested? ;)

I am absolutely in! I have a school to attend in Virginia Beach, VA the first half of June and the last three weeks of July, so this should work out on the break in between. The last weekend of June would work best for me. I will just need some info on gear and a dead set date on when we want to do this, but I will definately throw my name in the hat. I would most likely be bringing Tutt. (username), as well. I will keep watching this thread though. Thanks Annnie!

Yay! I'm glad I won't have to make this trek alone. :huh:

Does anyone know when conditions are best for Mt. Adams? I know last year, there was so much snow that just getting to the trail head took several miles of snowshoeing in late May/early June.

My summer weekends are fairly open right now so I'm pretty flexible. I'll hate to have to miss a Sounders FC game, but I think Mt. Adams might be worth it if I have to. :laughing: Though there is one exception. The one game I will not miss is the Chelsea game on July 18th, so that weekend is out. Otherwise, I'd love to hear opinions on a good weekend to shoot for.

We hiked to the top 10 years ago.

Better to do it in August so that there isn't a snow problem on the roads. The road to the campground is EXTREMELY rough and I would guess if there was snow on it many people without 4WD would be out of luck.

We found crampons and ice axes to be nearly a necessity. Some people were doing it without them but having them made the hike much more enjoyable.

We brought plastic roll-up sleds and we slid down from the top while steering with our ice axes.

We hiked to the top 10 years ago.

Better to do it in August so that there isn't a snow problem on the roads. The road to the campground is EXTREMELY rough and I would guess if there was snow on it many people without 4WD would be out of luck.

We found crampons and ice axes to be nearly a necessity. Some people were doing it without them but having them made the hike much more enjoyable.

We brought plastic roll-up sleds and we slid down from the top while steering with our ice axes.

The later part of August would work for me as well as I should be back from Virginia by then.

The part about the roll-up sleds sounds like a blast. I don't own skis so I would most likely do the sled thing.

I'll keep checking in, but all in all, this sounds like it should be alot of fun.

So my wife went to High School with a local now Mountain Climber and I had her ask him about Mt. Adams. What he said is pretty much what has been posted, that the climb route you mentioned Love is the one to do. He also said that the road to get there won't be driveable untill August, so if were going any earlier that we would have to plan an extra day just to get to the campground. Just my 2 cents.

Still looking forward to it though!

I have the green light, but this week's hike has humbled me yet once again. As I currently stand (leaning more on one side than the other) I would have to do this as a two day hike rather than a one day. I've begun a program to begin conditioning myself so I will keep an eye open on this thread.

Cool, glad to see there's more and more interest! After I *hopefully* complete my first marathon this weekend, I'll be focusing my training on getting in shape for Mt. St. Helens/Mt. Adams. I definitely prefer hiking training to long distance running training. :o

Anyway, so it sounds that due to road conditions, later in the summer is better for climbing Mt. Adams. I was just looking at my calendar and all four of the first weekends of August are open for me. I'd love to hear some suggestions from those interested in coming along if one of those weekends is best or if they have another one in mind?

I have the green light, but this week's hike has humbled me yet once again. As I currently stand (leaning more on one side than the other) I would have to do this as a two day hike rather than a one day. I've begun a program to begin conditioning myself so I will keep an eye open on this thread.

Ruck has done the climb, and he didn't recommend doing it in one day. Long and grueling, you'd need to be in great shape and able to move pretty fast. Annie could do it; doubt if I could.

Agree with doing it later in summer. In August, I can't do the weekends of the 1st (wedding) or 15th (WSGA campout). The latter two August weekends look good.

Ruck has done the climb, and he didn't recommend doing it in one day. Long and grueling, you'd need to be in great shape and able to move pretty fast. Annie could do it; doubt if I could.

Agree with doing it later in summer. In August, I can't do the weekends of the 1st (wedding) or 15th (WSGA campout). The latter two August weekends look good.

We did it in one day...sort of.

We got there in the evening and went to bed early at the campground at the trailhead. We got up at 3AM and started our climb. This way we got back to the campground early in the afternoon.

So it is a two day adventure in that you need to spend the night at the trail head so that you can get an early start. You do not want to "meet at the trail head at 9AM" or anything like that because then you will still be hiking on into the evening. Just to be more safe, you want to get back in the afternoon, not the evening. To accomplish this with a large group, you need to start hiking really early.

Edited by GrnXnham

We did it in one day...sort of.

We got there in the evening and went to bed early at the campground at the trailhead. We got up at 3AM and started our climb. This way we got back to the campground early in the afternoon.

So it is a two day adventure in that you need to spend the night at the trail head so that you can get an early start. You do not want to "meet at the trail head at 9AM" or anything like that because then you will still be hiking on into the evening. Just to be more safe, you want to get back in the afternoon, not the evening. To accomplish this with a large group, you need to start hiking really early.

Well I don't know... If I can't do a 9AM TH call... ;)

I do 9AM cuz that's what gains me the least amount of grief. I have no problem with calling out earlier start times. I think there can be two separate efforts here. A trailhead start for a one day ascent/descent. And a two day ascent hike with a campout at Lunch Counter.

I just need to check with REI to see if they rent specific equipment.

Hello, DB and I are interested and can go depending on the date. I have climbed the South Spur 5 times. Most of what is said is right. The road to parking is terrible. We never camped there and always chose to hike in to the Lunch Counter with full packs. While I understand the added burden, the Lunch Counter is a fantastic and memorable place to camp. There is nothing like it, in my experience. We never used crampons in 5 tries, but I understand that in certain conditions they might be needed. To me the most important things are knowing how to carry/use an ice axe without killing yourself, and knowing how to pace and breathe above 10,000 feet. I do also agree that June is too early unless the snow is particularly light. We, I think, always went in August. Most years there will still be plenty of snow between the Lunch Counter and the false summit even then. Coming down to the Lunch Counter is a blast; glissading or skiing. Anywho. We would like to go. We have some extra gear; ice axes in particular if anyone needs.

Hello, DB and I are interested and can go depending on the date. I have climbed the South Spur 5 times. Most of what is said is right. The road to parking is terrible. We never camped there and always chose to hike in to the Lunch Counter with full packs. While I understand the added burden, the Lunch Counter is a fantastic and memorable place to camp. There is nothing like it, in my experience. We never used crampons in 5 tries, but I understand that in certain conditions they might be needed. To me the most important things are knowing how to carry/use an ice axe without killing yourself, and knowing how to pace and breathe above 10,000 feet. I do also agree that June is too early unless the snow is particularly light. We, I think, always went in August. Most years there will still be plenty of snow between the Lunch Counter and the false summit even then. Coming down to the Lunch Counter is a blast; glissading or skiing. Anywho. We would like to go. We have some extra gear; ice axes in particular if anyone needs.

I would need an ice axe, as well as instruction and practice in using it. :lol: I don't have crampons but do have a new pair of Yak Trax.

I'm more than happy to hike up to Lunch Counter and camp there for the night before hitting the summit. Whatever the group would like to do, works for me. :D I did buy a whole bunch of gear for Rainier last year that I'd love to make use of. Plus this would give me a reason to finally buy a camping stove!

I can show people some general ice axe stuff. Here's a

that shows how to use the ice axe for self arresting. Though I think self arrest is taught slightly different in the US (you kick your feet into the ground). There are some fun/interesting other videos linked off of that one as well.

Though I think self arrest is taught slightly different in the US (you kick your feet into the ground).

I've never tried to self-arrest on ground, only on snow/ice! :P:D:D

There are a couple schools of thought on knees/feet. Mostly, though, it depends on the snow conditions.

A training/practice day ahead of time would be a good idea.

I would need an ice axe, as well as instruction and practice in using it. :P I don't have crampons but do have a new pair of Yak Trax.

I would not consider Yak Trax a subsitute for crampons. Too weak for heavy duty use.

I would need an ice axe, as well as instruction and practice in using it. :) I don't have crampons but do have a new pair of Yak Trax.

I would not consider Yak Trax a subsitute for crampons. Too weak for heavy duty use.

And, while they add some friction, they won't be much help where crampons are needed (higher angle frozen snow/ice).

I am totally down with this! I wanted to do this hike last year, but never found people to join me. It's quite an adventure! I like the idea of base camp more than hiking to lunch counter, but I see the nice points toward camping up there too. I'm ready to go as soon as possible. I have my crampons and ice axe ready to hike! We need to make sure the roads are open, and one of the camp spots snow/ice free, then let's do it! I probably have a couple other wilderness friend that would like to tag along too.

-Joe

That's awesome - that will come in handy for the trail - since I've never even been to the base of Mt. Adams before. :P

So, I haven't heard from too many so far on a good weekend. From what I have heard, it sounds like maybe the weekends of the August 8/9th or the weekend of the 22nd/23rd might be good? My thoughts would be to camp out on Friday near the trail head, head up to Lunch Counter on Saturday. Summit Sunday morning and head back down to our cars. Let me know what you all think!

Does anyone know what the drive time from Seattle is to the trail head? Also, what passes may be needed for either camping, parking or climbing?

It's a four-hour drive from Seattle to Trout Lake. You'll need a climbing permit -- information here. That site points out that, since this is a wilderness area, groups are limited to twelve people. I count sixteen "I might be interested" notes in this thread.

We could always break into a couple of groups. There will be those like Annie and M10B who can move faster than some of us. Plus not everybody will be able to make it. My experience has been those expressing interest don't always show up due to a variety of reasons. :laughing:

I'll have to check my calendar to see what works best for me but don't wait on me to make a decision. I do like the idea of a 2 day ascent plan.

It's a four-hour drive from Seattle to Trout Lake. You'll need a climbing permit -- information here. That site points out that, since this is a wilderness area, groups are limited to twelve people. I count sixteen "I might be interested" notes in this thread.

We could always break into a couple of groups. There will be those like Annie and M10B who can move faster than some of us. Plus not everybody will be able to make it. My experience has been those expressing interest don't always show up due to a variety of reasons. :D

I'll have to check my calendar to see what works best for me but don't wait on me to make a decision. I do like the idea of a 2 day ascent plan.

What he said, mostly. :laughing: I vote for the Aug 22/23 weekend, 2-day ascent, and Annie getting the permit (like Mark did for our Mt St Helens climb). I hope to be back in action by then. I still need ice-axe training, plus the actual axe and some crampons on loan. (I was kidding about the Yak Trax...)

August 22/23rd works for me so unless I hear any major objections, I'll plan for that weekend. :rolleyes: I'll be happy to look into campground and permit info for the group. I should get on that! So start letting me know if you're leaning more toward yes and I'll start compiling a list. I might start doing some cable line hikes to train for this so if anyone's interested in those, let me know. Ugh, the cable line. :D

August 22/23rd works for me so unless I hear any major objections, I'll plan for that weekend. :rolleyes: I'll be happy to look into campground and permit info for the group. I should get on that! So start letting me know if you're leaning more toward yes and I'll start compiling a list. I might start doing some cable line hikes to train for this so if anyone's interested in those, let me know. Ugh, the cable line. :D

My recent car repairs turned me into a maybe maybe on this, but I'm keeping an eye open.

One of the best training grounds around is Mt Si. Save a few Gallon plastic Milk jugs, fill them with water once at the top empty and easy hike down.

Please remember you do not run up a Mountain, you walk and the more weight you get use to carrying now will help you the Mountain. Because your weight will be lighter.

Also consider, a sled for group stuff. Will you be roping up?

I've only done Adams during winter seasons. If you are attempting this in August, very early morning starts. The sun can cook you and make snow/ice into mush.

I'll be watching this thread with interest. Having done St. Helens last weekend, I just finalized my plans last night to head up Adams on 8/29 with a couple of climbing partners. We have chosen the "long and grueling" one day hike in order to maximize our potential for fatigue.

Should be fun. :)

Oooh, how was St. Helen's? I'm going in a few weeks and I'm excited! Is there much snow left?

It'll be nice to put my backpacking tent to use on Adams - I've only used it once since I bought it!

Oooh, how was St. Helen's? I'm going in a few weeks and I'm excited! Is there much snow left?

St. Helens was great. It was easier going up than I had expected but harder going down.

PLENTY of snow to be had up there still all the way from Climber's Bivouac to the top although certain areas are melting out.

The snow was frozen so hard on our climb that crampons would have been a good idea for certain areas even though we didn't have any with us. That meant, we stuck closely to the rocky areas of Monitor Ridge, away from the snow. Glissading on the way down was out of the question for us again due to the snow conditions.

We had a great day up there and I'm sure you will too. We had so much fun that as we sat up at the top and looked over to Adams floating above the clouds, we started making our plans for that too.

a21f75f8-a7a3-4f53-8ce1-ce1372be0c67.jpg

All the pics from our climb are here.

August 22/23rd is the proposed date (and now the only weekend I have left available for it all summer). I'm actually wondering if there's still enough interest in the climb - several have indicated to me that they won't be able to come after all. It won't bother me to push this back until next year if I can get a better turn out then, but if enough people are still ambitious I'm happy to make a go at it! :)

If it's the case that people aren't up for a whole weekend kind of adventure, I'd be happy to do some long, fun day hike like Camp Muir or something.

I am out for this year, if rescheduled for next year I would hope to make it.

Ditto. I would really love to do this climb in August, Love, but alas, I have to bow out for health reasons. However, I hope to be back in trim next year, so if it gets pushed to 2010, count me in!

(Remember GW8 is July 3, 2010, so try to schedule the climb after mid-July, so it doesn't conflict with GW8 activities and post-event collapse. :unsure: )

Ditto. I would really love to do this climb in August, Love, but alas, I have to bow out for health reasons. However, I hope to be back in trim next year, so if it gets pushed to 2010, count me in!

(Remember GW8 is July 3, 2010, so try to schedule the climb after mid-July, so it doesn't conflict with GW8 activities and post-event collapse. :unsure: )

Ditto. Car repairs killed me this time. I can't even afford a vacation trip this year.

Ditto. Car repairs killed me this time. I can't even afford a vacation trip this year.

Ditto. Annie already knows this, but I can't make this year's date because my wife's 20th high school reunion ended up falling on that weekend.