How can I see a picture of a geocoin?

Penguin_ar

Is there a way of seeing a photo of a geocoin on geocaching.com? I am often curious about the designs when I see one mentioned in the log of a cache I am watching or here on the forums.

I know that with TBs, you only get to see a photo/ picture of the TB and hitchhiker if the owner (or a subsequent cacher) takes a photo of it and posts it to the gallery of that specific TB. I thought since Groundspeak needs to approve all trackable geocoins, there may be a searchable gallery or an "activation page" for each geocoin with a photo or something? I have found the overall gallery, but in order to find a geocoin you saw mentioned in a cache or heard about there, you need to know its exact name (rather than the name the owner might have given it, as they are changeable) and then scroll through the letter to find it- some letter have a lot of coins listed!

Edited by Penguin_ar

Is there a way of seeing a photo of a geocoin on geocaching.com? I am often curious about the designs when I see one mentioned in the og of a cache I am watching or here on the forums.

I know that with TBs, you only get to see a photo/ picture of the TB and hitchhiker if the owner (or a subsequent cacher) takes a photo of it and posts it to the gallery of that specific TB. I thought since Groundspeak needs to approve all trackable geocoins, there may be a searchable gallery or an "activation page" for each geocoin with a photo or something? I have found the overall gallery, but in order to find a geocoin you saw mentioned in a cache or heard about there, you need to know its exact name (rather than the name the owner might have given it, as they are changeable) and then scroll through the letter to find it- some letter have a lot of coins listed!

www.geocoincollection.com and www.cointracking.com both have a ton of pictures of coins.

in order to find a geocoin you saw mentioned in a cache or heard about there, you need to know its exact name
go to the page for the trackable item

hover your cursor over the icon on that page

that will show you the name that GC.com has assigned it

alternately -

on the item page, click "found it - log it"

on the page this takes you to, you will see the GC.com name just after the name that owner gave it

also -

if you or someone that you know owns or has logged the item, the GC.com name will be shown on your/their trackable items statistics page

enjoy