Geocache Listings Previewable before posting?

DaysJourney

I've searched around, and I just can't seem to find the answer - so if this has been asked and answered, please forgive me.

I am going to list my very first hide, and I was wondering if you can preview your listing before you actually post? If not, is it editable once submitted online? I would like to edit in html, which sometimes doesn't look like it was intended to look.

Can anyone tell me the answer or where to find the information?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, you can preview it as often as you want before having it reviewed and (hopefully!) published by your local Reviewer.

When you fill out the "Report a New Cache" form, just under "Who placed the cache", you will see two check boxes: Un-check the one which says "Yes, this listing is active."

This allows you to fill in all the details on the form, and you can check the two boxes right at the bottom of the page (Assuming that you have read the Guidelines and the ToU), and then press "Report New Listing".

You will then get to see your brand new cache page in the form that it will appear on-line, when published but it will not go into the Review queue for your reviewer to see it.

You can play around with your listing, editing it and changing it as you wish, until you're happy with the format.

When it's as you want then make sure that your cache box is actually in place, then go back to your form and check that box which you un-checked beforehand, the one which says "Yes, this listing is active."

Your cache submission form will now fly off to your reviewer who will do the necessary.

Good luck!

MrsB ;)

When it's as you want then make sure that your cache box is actually in place, then go back to your form and check that box which you un-checked beforehand, the one which says "Yes, this listing is active."

Your cache submission form will now fly off to your reviewer who will do the necessary.

Good luck!

MrsB :D

Thanks MrsB; this answered a lingering question I had about whether to actually place the cache before asking for review. It sort of seemed counter-intuitive to place the cache then ask for the page review, but I can see how easily chaos would be created if the reviewer approved it too quickly for the hider to return to the spot and add the cache. ;)

Good luck!

MrsB :D

Thanks MrsB; this answered a lingering question I had about whether to actually place the cache before asking for review. It sort of seemed counter-intuitive to place the cache then ask for the page review, but I can see how easily chaos would be created if the reviewer approved it too quickly for the hider to return to the spot and add the cache. ;)

Newer geocachers sometimes get caught out by this. :D

If you submit your cache for review and your local reviewer is on-line, reviewing caches and it's a quiet period, then if all is good with your cache it could get reviewed and published onto the site within 10 minutes. At this point email notifications will fly off to eager FTFers who will be into their vehicles and revving off in the direction of your cache within a few minutes. They may get a bit upset and disappointed if the cache isn't in place when they arrive at Ground Zero! :D

MrsB

Yes, I can hear the outrage of the non-placed cache even as I type this. The frustration and angst would be totally understandable. ;)

I'm not ready to hide yet, but I want to do all my homework before and leave nothing to chance! A good hide is a gift that keeps on giving and I want to do it right. Thanks again for the advice & clarity, it's very helpful.

Yes, you can preview it as often as you want before having it reviewed and (hopefully!) published by your local Reviewer.

When you fill out the "Report a New Cache" form, just under "Who placed the cache", you will see two check boxes: Un-check the one which says "Yes, this listing is active."

This allows you to fill in all the details on the form, and you can check the two boxes right at the bottom of the page (Assuming that you have read the Guidelines and the ToU), and then press "Report New Listing".

You will then get to see your brand new cache page in the form that it will appear on-line, when published but it will not go into the Review queue for your reviewer to see it.

You can play around with your listing, editing it and changing it as you wish, until you're happy with the format.

Good luck!

MrsB ;)

Thank you for all the info. I'm getting ready to submit my first cache as well and I just have one more question. For all the information on the Report form (name of cache, short description, long description, coordinates, etc), is that all able to be edited after you've submitted the cache? I'm sure it is and since I'm not going to submit it for review until the page is ready, I don't plan on writing more than an X in the description boxes since I'll be editing that on the cache page anyway. Thanks for the help!

Bruce

... and after your cache has been submitted to the reviewer and has been published on the site you can still edit it.

You might want to add something extra to the description that you think of later. The first few finders of your brand new cache might suggest that your D/T ratings are a bit too high/low so you may need to change them. You might want to add a photograph of the general scenery to your cache description. Any such changes can be made after publication. Obviously, what you mustn't do is edit something into your cache page which means that it then breaks the listing guidelines.

MrsB ;)

Edited by The Blorenges

Many times I have not noticed a typo or something until after I hit the "submit" button and see what it's actually going to look like. No problem. I just immediately edit the listing before it gets published. My first hide was edited at least half a dozen times before it finally went live. I've also frequently added information that I just forgot about. Recently, I submitted two new caches with the same coordinates. My local reviewer gently pointed this out and I was able to correct the coords and get the caches published a couple of hours later. A couple of years ago a new cacher submitted a cache but didn't actually place it because it was raining or something. At least four people (including me) went looking for it before he got it placed. It's annoying if you place a container and then it gets rejected, but that's the way it goes. Actually. I've had several of these that I think of as "caches" in the more traditional sense, meaning they just stay out there until I need them. It's nice to have several ready made caches stashed in the woods waiting for you.

Good questions! I think you're gonna do great!

I really appreciate everyone's tips! I worked on my listing for a couple of hours until it looked right. I was thrown off by the "short description" box, and the longer field. I figured it out, and made it look fairly ok! I posted it, and of course had to revise a couple of times - which really didn't matter, since it was at 3:00 AM. That was this morning (Thursday) at 3:00 AM, and I'm nervously awaiting reviewer comments.

Maybe some of you veteran cachers can settle a debate. Do the reviewers actually go out and physically look at the cache? My understanding is that they do. My husband thinks he read somewhere that they only review online. How does this work?

I generally start my cache listing as unavailable when I have the location and hide nailed down. I may take a few days to finish editing, and finish up the cache and log book. I do put the cache code on the cover of the log book, so I can't actually finish the cache until I have the initial listing submitted. Then, once I am happy with the cache page, I go place the cache, and then activate the listing for review.

As for the reviewers, logistically, there are so many caches published that I can't see them reviewing any substantial number of them in the field. Of course, they may actually visit a sample of them before publishing, but I really don't see how they could do any large percentage in an active area.

Maybe some of you veteran cachers can settle a debate. Do the reviewers actually go out and physically look at the cache? My understanding is that they do. My husband thinks he read somewhere that they only review online. How does this work?

No, the reviewers don't go out and check each cache placement in the field (or in the hedge, in the parking mall, in the forest...). They review your cache page to see that it meets the listing guidelines. They are aware of the areas on their patch which require special permits. They will have a range of on-line mapping tools with which to judge your cache location. They are able to see whether there are any final locations of multicaches or puzzle caches nearby, of which you, the cache setter, may be unaware. They have special powers bestowed on them by the magical Frog which allows them to make a considered judgement on whether your cache is OK to fly. They probably have an especially toned and well-muscled index finger for pressing that "Publish" button too...

MrsB :laughing:

No, the reviewers don't go out and check each cache placement in the field (or in the hedge, in the parking mall, in the forest...). They review your cache page to see that it meets the listing guidelines. They are aware of the areas on their patch which require special permits. They will have a range of on-line mapping tools with which to judge your cache location. They are able to see whether there are any final locations of multicaches or puzzle caches nearby, of which you, the cache setter, may be unaware. They have special powers bestowed on them by the magical Frog which allows them to make a considered judgement on whether your cache is OK to fly. They probably have an especially toned and well-muscled index finger for pressing that "Publish" button too...

MrsB :laughing:

Thanks! That totally makes sense. I just got my listing published! My first one! Whoo-hoo! GC1PQDT We put quite a bit of effort into the placement, theme, etc, and I didn't want to mess anything up. I have only been caching since 22 March, so I wanted to be careful with my listing. Also - I got a reviewer's note that said "CACHE COORDINATES N 47° 45.092 W 122° 04.967" (the same coordinates I entered)...with no other comments. Is that an automated note?

... I just got my listing published! My first one! Whoo-hoo! GC1PQDT We put quite a bit of effort into the placement, theme, etc, and I didn't want to mess anything up. I have only been caching since 22 March, so I wanted to be careful with my listing. Also - I got a reviewer's note that said "CACHE COORDINATES N 47° 45.092 W 122° 04.967" (the same coordinates I entered)...with no other comments. Is that an automated note?

Yes, that's an automated note when the cache is published... and I see it's already had its FTF :laughing:

The cache page reads well and it looks like a pleasant spot. I like the way you've tied in the Bookcrossing idea, the nearby library and your cache.

MrsB

This has been an extremely informative thread! Another sentence should be added to the new cache submittal form, near the "activate" checkbox, that explains the cache page can be reviewed and edited by the author before publication.

It took me about 3 hours of searching/reading thru the forum to figure out how to get a decent looking photo placed in the cache description.

Thanks to all for the answers, but I still have some more questions:

1. Does the GC##### get assigned before publication, so that I can include the GC##### on the cover of the log book?

2. Is a pre-publication edit the place where I select attributes (snakes, strollers, restrooms, etc)? I don't see attributes mentioned on the submittal form.

3. Can I get a pre-publication review from GC reviewer before I check the box to make it active? I would like to know if my cache is going to be rejected if I plan to hide it too close to a puzzle or multicache solution.

This has been an extremely informative thread! Another sentence should be added to the new cache submittal form, near the "activate" checkbox, that explains the cache page can be reviewed and edited by the author before publication.

It took me about 3 hours of searching/reading thru the forum to figure out how to get a decent looking photo placed in the cache description.

1. Does the GC##### get assigned before publication, so that I can include the GC##### on the cover of the log book?

2. Is a pre-publication edit the place where I select attributes (snakes, strollers, restrooms, etc)? I don't see attributes mentioned on the submittal form.

3. Can I get a pre-publication review from GC reviewer before I check the box to make it active? I would like to know if my cache is going to be rejected if I plan to hide it too close to a puzzle or multicache solution.

1. The GC number is assigned before the cache is published.

2. I believe you have to wait until after the cache is submitted before you can add the attributes.

3. Sure! Just send them an email through the website with the coordinates and they will be more than happy to let you know if the spot is clear or not.

If you do as I suggest in post#3 and uncheck that little "Yes, this listing is active" box, when you hit the "Report New Listing" button you'll get to see your brand new cache page as it would appear, if published, on-line. It will have the GC number which has been allocated to it showing clearly in the top right corner.

Yes. When you see your newly created cache page you'll see the Navigation box in the top right with the option there to "Edit attributes".

You can contact your local reviewer in advance, before creating your new cache listing, and give them the co-ords of where you hope to place the cache. They will be able to tell you whether there's any proximity clash with another nearby cache.

MrsB :rolleyes: