What The Heck ?

opalsns

Visit this listing at the below address:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...d7-5186edd1e055

Is This Allowed ?????????????????

Opalsns

We can't see the link (possibly only you can because it was archived?)

I think you can appeal to Groundspeak but you had better have your entire story straight. From what you have said, it sounds like an unjustified and unjustifiable deletion, but so often we hear the rest of the story later...

Generally calling other cachers out in the forums is frowned upon. Removing identifying details would be appropriate.

On a personal note, I know of the CO in question and suspect there is more to this story... ;)

If the rest of the story doesn't include the OP not signing the logbook or including rudeness/spoilers in his 'find' log, the cache owner ought not to have deleted the log.

We can't see it (your URL got truncated but even if it weren't, only the log/cache owners and admins can see archived logs), but it sounds like this is an old log from way back when.

I've always thought that logs should only be deletable by cache owners within 30 days of posting. That should be enough time to notice any problems and correct them. It doesn't strike me as common that a log would be deleted after that time for reasons that are not retaliatory.

Generally calling other cachers out in the forums is frowned upon. Removing identifying details would be appropriate.

On a personal note, I know of the CO in question and suspect there is more to this story... ;)

If the rest of the story doesn't include the OP not signing the logbook or including rudeness/spoilers in his 'find' log, the cache owner ought not to have deleted the log.

Maybe there was an ALR... :D

We can't see it (your URL got truncated but even if it weren't, only the log/cache owners and admins can see archived logs), but it sounds like this is an old log from way back when.

I've always thought that logs should only be deletable by cache owners within 30 days of posting. That should be enough time to notice any problems and correct them. It doesn't strike me as common that a log would be deleted after that time for reasons that are not retaliatory.

I don't get to my caches every 30 days and I only have two. It may be several months before an owner reconciles the physical log with the online log.

But I'll bet that you're right. A good portion of logs deleted beyond 30 days is probably retaliatory.

I agree that retributively deleting others' cache logs is poor form, but as far as I'm concerned that's between the two of you and doesn't need to be aired in these forums.

I do have to add that, regardless of who is in the right, publicly bashing others tends to reflect more poorly on the person doing so than the person being attacked.

As to the topic....deleting the log was bad and shouldn't be done if for only out of spite! Working with one another before allowing a small squabble turn ugly would have been best for both sides!! I would ask that the other party please re-instate the log and let bygones be bygones!!

I'd also, after removing names, ask the PTB to lock this down before it turns even uglier!!!

Removed outdated content!! GREAT JOB!! I hope this works out good for both sides!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

...I've always thought that logs should only be deletable by cache owners within 30 days of posting. That should be enough time to notice any problems and correct them. It doesn't strike me as common that a log would be deleted after that time for reasons that are not retaliatory.

In about 12 more years I'll go and grab my remote cache. The log should be about half full. At that time I may review it for bogus logs. 30 days? I'd not be that fast even if I had an assistant who kept me appraised at all times about cache logs.

In about 12 more years I'll go and grab my remote cache. The log should be about half full. At that time I may review it for bogus logs. 30 days? I'd not be that fast even if I had an assistant who kept me appraised at all times about cache logs.

Not to 'jack the thread but.... that scenario surely can't be considered typical.

How 'bout editing your cache description or add-a-note asking the next finder to send you a PM listing the log contents/names on, or somesuch -- would that work for ya?

~*

...I've always thought that logs should only be deletable by cache owners within 30 days of posting. That should be enough time to notice any problems and correct them. It doesn't strike me as common that a log would be deleted after that time for reasons that are not retaliatory.

Yeah. I just deleted a log from December. The cacher had a reputation for 'not signing' any logs. I just got a chance to do maintenance on one of mine, and found that he had not signed it. But I did wait until I checked the log. And that did take four months.

I've in the past wondered how common it is for folks to log online but not actually find a cache. There's one guy especially, who has a pretty high number of finds, but we've never ever seen his signature on any of the logs that we've signed, but we've often seen him post a find online before us...

I'm not too worried about it, nor am I going to go on any kind of accusatory crusade or anything, but I have scratched my chin over it a couple of times.

-Rozie

So you got in a spat with someone over on the Maine forum and they retaliated by deleting your Found it.

I'd say you two need to stay away from each other until you can learn how to cache nice together.

Gosh folks, don't worry about one little old deletion. We have some local cachers who always delete certain other cacher's logs just because they don't like them! Yep, the finds are legit but the logs deletions are not! I don't think Groundspeak gets involved. They haven't here! ;)

Not to 'jack the thread but.... that scenario surely can't be considered typical.

How 'bout editing your cache description or add-a-note asking the next finder to send you a PM listing the log contents/names on, or somesuch -- would that work for ya?

~*

Isn't that an ALR?

Actually I would only take time to cross check if I suspected something. Otherwise I'm perfectly happy reading the log book and not worrying about it. That's true if it's been 3 days or the 12 years.

~*

Isn't that an ALR?

Actually I would only take time to cross check if I suspected something. Otherwise I'm perfectly happy reading the log book and not worrying about it. That's true if it's been 3 days or the 12 years.

That's why I said "...asking the next finder...".

Even edited out final sentence "Asking, mind you....you know where them nasty ol' ALRs'll git ya."

:laughing:

~*