Satmap Active 10

Hi,

can anyone help me please. I have recently bought a satmap active 10 but can't find a way to download cache details from geocaching.com onto it.

I have tried gsak, but that seems not to recognise satmap in its gps set up options.

I have also tried importing a .gpx file using SatSYNC installed from the satmap website. When I do so it converts the file into a .map file & tells me it is on the internal memory of the device, but when I switch on the device I can't seem to find the new file as either a POI or a route.

I would be very grateful for any help asap as I was hoping to take the family geocaching this weekend!

Many thanks

I don't know the answer, but we might be able to get closer. I looked at the web site and it says "Microsoft Operating System Based ". So it's probably Windows Mobile. So we have to find out if the program is a third party application like MemoryMap or something they have written themselves. If it's something like MemoryMap we should be able to help, if it's proprietary it might be harder.

Is the machine dedicated solely to the GPSr app., or can you get out to the WM Today screen, File Manager, etc.?

If the latter, how do you start the application? Can you follow a shortcut back to the name of the executable file?

Rgds, Andy

Hi,

can anyone help me please. I have recently bought a satmap active 10 but can't find a way to download cache details from geocaching.com onto it.

I have tried gsak, but that seems not to recognise satmap in its gps set up options.

I have also tried importing a .gpx file using SatSYNC installed from the satmap website. When I do so it converts the file into a .map file & tells me it is on the internal memory of the device, but when I switch on the device I can't seem to find the new file as either a POI or a route.

I would be very grateful for any help asap as I was hoping to take the family geocaching this weekend!

Many thanks

The only way to import data is via SatSYNC, which is how I do it. Make sure you have the latest software installed 1.3O or better (just checked and 1.323 is the latest so I'm behind the times!)

Importing should give you an addition entry on the list in the POI menu - I shall have to try when I get home tonight.

I wrote myself a little piece of software to manipulate the gpx prior to importing which given the latest advances in the active 10 software may not be required anymore.

The 1.3 software was a huge improvement in geocaching support but it's still not perfect

Thanks guys. That's really helpful, but I have to admit I don't understand most of what you have told me!

Following advice I found on the PocketGPSWorld forum I have managed to import the basic cache details to my unit via GSAK.

I had to become a premium member of geocaching.com to gain access to the .gpx files for any cache. Then you have to order a pocket quiery from the site with the details of a number of caches. Then use GSAK to open this zipped file when it is emailed to you. Next you use GSAK to export the cache details to your PC as a .gpx file. Finally you have to use SatSYNC (a free download from Satmap.com) to import that .gpx file to the satmap where it converts it into a .map file.

I hope that helps any others looking for the same solution in the future.

After all that you end up with the caches as POIs on the satmap device. However this only gives you the very basic cache info. I am still trying to work out how to get the full cache details to allow full paperless caching. I believe the use of a macro is reqired for that. Unfortunately I don't know what a macro is, let alone how to use it! Any further advice in this area would be most gratefully received.

Thanks again for all your help & time.

I use a Satmap Active 10 for caching am able to load all the cache info as a POI. The info includes Cache Description, Last 4 logs and Hint, this is done using a macro run from GSAK. The resultant file is then loaded into the Active 10 via Satsync.

The macro is written and available from cache name ' The K9 Crew'. If you are unable to locate him contact me for a better contact details.

There is an updated SATSYNC on the website

SatSync

one of the functions is

GEOCACHING.COM compatible: users can install either .LOC files or .GPX files. The .LOC files contain the latitude and longitude of the cache, and the .GPX files contain the full information offering hints, cache descriptions, terrain, difficulty, logs, etc. This compatibility allows users to fully enjoy the growing international sport of Geocaching.

hopefully it will help, i'm about to give it a try.

An updated version of SatSync was released on 4th June (v 1.208).

This fixes a problem that occurs if there are errors in the original cache page HTML code.

Also enables you to load your PQ zip file without extracting first.

And adds a list of Trackables to the cache page on the device.

:laughing: