COINTEST: Earthday

BrierPatch

Cointest For Earthday Suncatcher

geocoin_earthday09_G.jpg

This is my first suncatcher I had a lot of fun on this project. Nothing like a sunrise caching when the day is young and full of hope and promise. These are for sale here

Yes they are trackable.

Now onto the cointest very simple one post per user per 24hr I will either draw a random number or select a winner. we will run this a week or so and pick a couple winners. Please post how you celebrate Earthday and or what you will be doing for Earthday.

Thanks for playing

geocoin_earthday09_G.jpg

This is my first suncatcher I had a lot of fun on this project. Nothing like a sunrise caching when the day is young and full of hope and promise. These are for sale here

Yes they are trackable.

Now onto the cointest very simple one post per user per 24hr I will either draw a random number or select a winner. we will run this a week or so and pick a couple winners. Please post how you celebrate Earthday and or what you will be doing for Earthday.

Thanks for playing

I am a middleschool science teacher and we usually celebrate Earth Day at the school by using this opportunity to teach our students about renewable energy resources, recycling, and conservation. In the past we have had the students create thematic posters for their households to remind everyone that it is their responsibility to recycle and conserve. We get some pretty colorful designs and are able to use this opportunity to connect the students with the world around them

Thanks for the cointest.

Hi and Thanx for a cool cointest.

On Earth Day, depending on the weather, we get out and get to picking up the yard, Raking and Fertilizing. We pick up the fallen brush and put it on one of the several brush piles in our woods. (These become habitats for all kinds of animals and insects.) We get the flower Garden cleaned up and move plants around if necessary. We go down to the end of the driveway and pick up trash that has been plowed into the culvit and clear the rain path. We clear the fallen timber off of trees that it may be leaning on. It usually takes a couple of days. But at the end of the day, after the supper and showers, It feels good to sit out in the yard and watch the world go by.

Thanx,

Opalsns

First off, what a beautiful coin!!

For Earth Day, I go caching of course (oh, wait, I do that every other day too).

Also, I plant my vegetables for the summer, and if possible we eat dinner outside.

We call our patio 'the green room', as opposed to our dining room, which is painted blue.

Great coin and I'm not entering the cointest :P However I'll just post cause I like the message of Earth Day. I don't celebrate Earth Day because quite honestly I try to live it each day. I use biodegradable products at home. I recycle. I donate items to Goodwill type places. I try to eat as much organic food items as I can minus the nutella :blink: I painted my home with Freshaire paint which contains no VOCs. Swapped out to fluorescent bulbs, use power strips and unplug items when not in use. I have tried to reduce my eco-footprint over the past few years. While I can still improve in some areas, I am trying :D What we do today our future generations will have to live with tomorrow.

Ok, off my soapbox now :blink:

I just filled six planters tonight with dirt from a Mission We received from DJ prior this year and to celebrate Earth DayThey are called Oxalis, they are from Holland. They are supposed to be a lucky 4 leaf clover, cannot wait until they start growing.

Thanks for the cointest for Earthday.

Barry and Valarie of sweetlife

This year for Earthday, we are getting about 20 new saplings to plant around the yard. Also going to start our garden and plant a bunch of flowers in our new flower bed. Later in the day we are going to try and walk our road and pick up trash with the neighbors. Also we are going to hang some bird houses on the property line and put up 2 bat boxes down by the swamp.

Earth Day to me is everyday. It is a philosophy of living and how you use, manage, recycle products and deal with things you touch each day. This was not taught to me by my parents, I did not learn it in school but rather, my children have brought me to realize there is much we each can do in the effort.

After over 6 years of working in Environmental Health, I know there are a load of toxic contaminants out there. Many folks do not know what hazards are even in their home.

Each day, I like to consider what I can do to contribute to keeping the earth a better place. From composting, recycling, to educating people about environmental hazards, every day each of us has an opportunity.

Thanks for the cointest.

Cool coin BriarPatch :blink: Wish I could make you laugh...like you do me!! lol

We own and operate and landscape & nursery company so we LOVE Earth Day!! My husband plants something for ourselves and also plant things for other people too. We also recycle stuff so we do our part there.

Keep your designs coming :blink:

:D wow :D never heard about this day also :blink:

so i google and read about it.

I think you just most love the earth and take care for her. :D

Not 1 day but whole year.

800px-Earth_flag_PD.jpg

Never leave your mess when you are caching and take other mess with you and trow it away.

I have always a bag in my caching bag where i can put garbage.

Sometimes i feel very ashamed when i see what cachers leave behind in nature. :D

This is a little thing to do. :D

I am going keep a eye at the news to see what other country's do about this day. :blink:

Thanks for the cointest Brierpatch, you have learned me about earthday today. :D

:P P.s Gardengorilla may i come to you and swim with the dolphins. :D

Please make a photo and share your special experience with us all.

i really think you are close with nature when you do this.

Same here, Earth Day isn't a holiday in my country, so I can hardly celebrate it like you guys do. But sure, I also do what I can to recycle the waste and protect Mother Nature. Our next cachemobile will be one of the most ecological out there right now (109g CO2/100 km). Yes, we had to take the decision to change our old but trusty car before it starts to cost too much in repairs and laws are strict here, can't drive with the bottom of your car rusty. I know, walking is even better, but there's places were you just need a car.

I would also like to say this : as long as there's need for a special day, it means we still have a long way to go. When we no longer need days to remind us to respect women, to stop smoking, to think about the poor and to protect Nature, we will be wise and happy.

I personally don't need a day to remind me to respect Nature. It's an everyday concern.

Happy Earth Day out there!

P.S. Beautiful coin, by the way!

Nice cointest! :blink: Thank you my friend!

Well... Earth day... I think it is on April 22... 3 days after our easter! :blink:

We do some things, (depending of what day it will be), but if I mention them here... what shall I write in my other posts??? :D

I hope I will not be missundersttod, but I feel sad that we (as humans) have to celebrate just a day to make things for the planet who gives us life!

Every day is Earthday! Is it nice to be a nature and Earth friend for one day and all the rest to be one of the many who doesn't care?

I heard many saying... "all the others are poluting the earth...what shall I do? what can I do alone? ..and just do not do anything! Others are yelling if any responsible for all this is actually watching, and if he does why he is not doing anything....

We are all responsible!!!! We all have to do things to help Earth! By that way we will really improve our lives too!!! We will become more humans!!! We became the worst animal that ever lived on Earth! We do not care for anything except of our pockets! what happent to us??

We are destroying forests that gives us oxygen to breath, we are killing animals for fun, or we make them desappear for ever! Why? Why we have to destroy anything that we find beautiful? If an animal species disappears for ever, the nature chain brakes! We will have problems in the future! No matter the size of the animal!!

Even the few who are "awake" and do some things to help nature and earth, we just see them as alliens! We even fight them!!! WHY?? they are trying to make things better for our kids too! They are trying to fix our mistakes and our fathers mistakes!!!

Every day should be Earth day! I want my planet back!

I am very happy to see that many geocachers know things and act! :P

As I said, I hope I didn't get missunderstood! When I mention "We", I mean the human race, ok? :D

As a youth, I was heavily involved in the Boy Scouts (I even made it to Eagle Scout). As a part of Scouting, many values are instilled in us, including such mantras as "Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints." Many of these values are still with me today, and are not only observed on Earth Day. Now, My 7-year-old is in his second year as a Cub Scout, and he is already talking about these sorts of things. We have discussed the value of picking up litter, not littering ourselves, and generally taking care of the environment. We are, as a family, pledging to continue.

geocoin_earthday09_G.jpg

Yes they are trackable.

Thanks for playing

Earth day is my son's birthday, and this year will be a special one since he was diagnosed 2 years ago with a brain tumor at 16 with hydrocephalitis :D , went through chimotherapy and got 40 years worth of Parkinson's syndrome related to radiotherapyin 3 months. He wasn't supposed to be with us and he is walking and beginning to enjoy life. WE are going to make his day a super special one! ;)

All year we recycle but on this day we always gather paint gallons and oils we put away and walk door to door of our neighborhood to gather theirs (they know us now and save them for us to take on that day) and bring them to a facility that takes them near our home. This year our son will participate.

Great looking coin.

I'll be with my sons Boy Scout Group. They're will be camping the weekend before at a nearby state park helping plant trees and cleaning up winter debris from trails. On Earth Day itself, they'll be planning for their bigger summer cleanup project at the same state park.

this year, since i cannot enjoy and celebrate earthday like usual - geocaching/exploring places/ participating in the local litter pickup scheme, i shall be doing minor gardening work in the form of planting flower seeds and veggy and herb plants into pots and and the garden.

i cant think of anything more beautiful than watching seeds slowly turn into pretty flowers.

Think of Earthday as her birthday. Celebrate her as she grows one year older and wiser....

On Earth day April 22, 2009 I will be swimming with dolphins and snorkeling in coral. That's how I'll celebrate her birthday.

Oh, that would be my favorite thing to do. But in the midwest, that is not really an option for me.

wow, what a wonderful coin, love it!

i have placed some earthcaches and on earthday

i go out with some geocaching friends and other interested

cachers and visit some of these locations.

i tell them something about the geology of the places, our earth.

how wonderful it is and the fascination of the origination.

thanks and greets from germany - nebukatneza

I spent last Saturday at a County Park's Earth Day Celebration. I spoke to others about geocaching and helped a few young people find caches hidden in the park. I also donated an Earth Day geocoin to be raffled off to a registered Geocacher. On Earth Day... I plan to be at the beach enjoying the sand, sunshine and water.

Like many others I try to celebrate Earth Day every day. I do not use any chemicals on the yard and try to only use Earth friendly ways for keeping the bugs out of the flowers and garden. I keep lots of bird houses around and this year plan to put up some bat houses to help with the mosquitos.

I could not schedule my CITO event this year on Earth Day as I did last year, but it is close enough. There's nothing like getting 60-70 cachers together and giving back to the community.

Thanks for the cointest and great looking coin!

Even if I do not think many Greeks are doing something special that day... they just do not know, they are not well informed.., we usually go out to enjoy nature!

Even if this is not something special for many people, it is for us!

Some days ago, we were out and we visited the places the big fire destroyed last year! Nature and earth are doing their best to make the places green again, but you can still see the burned trees because of Human stupidity!

I have to say that we are doing that, according to what day Earth's day is! If it is a normal working day, things are very difficult to go out! Work doesn't let ut enjoy life a lot! If it is a Sunday, it is the best, but if it is a working day, we probably go out the first Sunday we can!

Maybe we will do some things too... my mother is doing every year... but these belongs in an other post... ! :laughing:

This thread got me thinking about a past EarthDay too.

A long time ago (1990) I was a girl scout leader. It happened to be just after Earth Day, and I went to a training class for a high ropes challenge course. This a course consisting of rock walls, balance beams, tightropes, high wires, and zip lines up in the trees, with belay equipment for safety. I was there for personal challenge and learning to facilitate the girls using the course.

There is nothing like walking across a high wire and getting to a tiny platform attached to a tree to make you 'hug a tree'!!

At the end of the event, they gave us some goodies left from Earth day, including a mug and a squishy earth ball. This thread made me remember that mug and find it, so I am now drinking my tea out of it.

My 2nd post/entry.

As Earth Day this year is during the week, I will have to work, and my caching partner (my 7-year-old son) will be in school. If the weather permits us (and perhaps more imprtantly, if the wife permits us), perhaps we can make a quick trip out in the evening for an informal CITO type of thing.