Hardest Cache Type

I'm writing a paper in school :blink: and I need ya'll's opinion. What cache type do you consider to be the hardest (Mystery, Multicache, Traditional, etc.)? Stories welcome as always! :blink:

In terms of cache type, multi's are generally the most difficult, followed by mystery, traditional, earthcaches and virtuals. That said, I can think of some really easy multi's and puzzles, and and some horribly nasty traditionals.

The difficulty with multi's is the likelihood that you will miss a waypoint, which are almost always micro's.

The difficulty of Mystery caches is entirely bound up with the difficulty of the puzzle. Some puzzles are pretty easy or just happen to be puzzles that I have some familiarity with. Other puzzles are just too frustrating, though people do manage to solve.

I'd say the nastiest hides are in piles of rocks. One of our local cachers has a few that consist of a 35mm cannister hidden in a hole drilled into a rock, and the rock with the cache hidden in a pile of rocks.

Good luck on your paper!

I'm writing a paper in school :blink: and I need ya'll's opinion. What cache type do you consider to be the hardest (Mystery, Multicache, Traditional, etc.)? Stories welcome as always! :P

The ones we can't find... :blink:

In all seriousness, it's usually the ones that are 'one of many' - rocks in rock pile, wood in wood pile, that kind of thing.

Whether it be a multi or traditional, the multi ends at a cache site anyway. As another poster wrote, with a multi there's more opportunity to fail.

FC

Project APE is the hardest cache type, unless you live in Seattle or Brazil. GPS Adventures Maze can be a tough cache type, too, unless the maze has visited your region. If you live in Germany or Australia, both these cache types would be pretty expensive additions to your profile page. I'm happy I traveled to score them.

Apart from that, it's hard to generalize. The roughest terrain I've ever hiked was to nab a virtual at a plane crash site on top of a mountain. I've done a series of 25 multicaches where you went to a street corner and did a short offset projection to find a container magneted to an informational sign. After awhile, you could skip doing the offset and just look for the nearest sign. I've found traditionals requiring a 12 mile hike with lots of bushwacking, and I've found traditionals where I could roll down the car window to grab the cache container.

They are all worth one smiley. The smiley is the great equalizer.

I'm writing a paper in school :o and I need ya'll's opinion. What cache type do you consider to be the hardest (Mystery, Multicache, Traditional, etc.)? Stories welcome as always! :D

In terms of cache type, multi's are generally the most difficult, followed by mystery, traditional, earthcaches and virtuals. That said, I can think of some really easy multi's and puzzles, and and some horribly nasty traditionals.

The difficulty with multi's is the likelihood that you will miss a waypoint, which are almost always micro's.

Good luck on your paper!

The offset type of multi's are always somewhat difficult when you start trying to do the math, particularly if it involves different types of calculations, like both multiplication and addition.