Overuse of "Nees Maintenance"

Just a short rant. I am getting tired of cachers (new and experienced) using the "Needs Maintenance" report to tell me that the log book is full.

What ever happened to a PM to the cache owner?

The "needs maintenance" log type was created for exactly that purpose - to let the cache owner know that he needs to maintain his cache. That would include replacing the logbook.

FWIW, Needs Maintenance logs are not forwarded to the local reviewer. Should Be Archived logs are.

Needs maintennace is feedback intended to be helpful not only to the owner but to those who want to seek the cache. I have often avoided caches until the maintenance is done and I see that by another post that says it was done. So I like the logs.

The problem is some caches need to be a better container to start with. I use the ole Ammo in remote places and never get a leak. Use a big healthy log book and its forever filling up. I carry pens to replace any non-worker and remote anything that appears to be totally junk in the cache. If we all help its better for everyone. Little golf pencils and a cheap sharpener also great in cold weather. Extra zip bags and carry a few wet ones to clean up a little.

I really mind don't doing it. I have seen people add a small log when one is needed just to keep the game at a quality level. The game needs to BE at a quality level.

Edited by GPS-Hermit

I agree... Needs Maintenance isn't used enough. We've found some ucky caches lately that were moldy and the logs were so wet they were pulpy, etc. We try to replace things like log paper and pens for people if we can, but we will post at least a note when we find caches that need attention.

I know that we appreciate it when folks post a "Needs Maintenance" note for our caches because then we can fix whatever problems they have sooner than later, which helps cachers enjoy our caches as best they can.

I do think though that the "needs archived" option may be overused, especially when it comes to "unsolveable" puzzle caches.

-Rozie

Just a short rant. I am getting tired of cachers (new and experienced) using the "Needs Maintenance" report to tell me that the log book is full.

Full logbook is actually one of the purposes of the Needs Maintenance log. A full log book means the cache needs maintenance, hence a Needs Maintenance log.

I actually wish they were used more often. As an owner of a few caches I sometimes get dozens of logs on a nice weekend. I may skim the regular logs, but any Needs Maintenance logs get my immediate attention.

Too many people fear incurring the wrath of some overly sensitive cache owner to log them. I know I'm hesitant to because I'm not sure how the owner will react.

A NM log is nothing more than a useful tool provided by this website to let the cache owner know his cache needs attention. It's not an insult.

I must agree with Nosuch30, my GOD! He has 16 caches, half of which aqre disabled or archived, and he has received 5, count'em 5 needs maint. reports, in 3 years!! How can you expect the poor guy to get any sleep. I didn't read all the maint. reports, but the 2 I did were about the log being full. How inconsiderate of other cachers to report needs maint. when that is the object of the option. Geez, how dare people use the system the way it was intended. The nerve of some cachers is just unbelievable!

Edited by Bergie Bunch

I must agree with Nosuch30, my GOD! He has 16 caches, half of which aqre disabled or archived, and he has received 5, count'em 5 needs maint. reports, in 3 years!! How can you expect the poor guy to get any sleep. I didn't read all the maint. reports, but the 2 I did were about the log being full. How inconsiderate of other cachers to report needs maint. when that is the object of the option. Geez, how dare people use the system the way it was intended. The nerve of some cachers is just unbelievable!

I DNF'd four of your caches last Sunday. I think I will go back and add "Needs Maintenance" logs because you are so excitable. They need maintenance because I couldn't freaking find them. After all, I am an awesome cache finder and these were roadside micros.

Also, quit e-mailing me for free hamsters. If you would hide something bigger than a film canister -- and if the cache were actually there -- I would leave you one.

Yes, not enough cachers letting cache owners know about issues with a cache.

How many caches do we see that have full logs and other issues? When we go to log online all we see are "Nice cache", "TFTC SL", and "Traded up TFTC". I try to report on the condition of the cache and any problems I see like logs getting full, or really close.

I also try to carry multiple items to fix caches. I carry logs, golf pencils, and some containers. I have replaced whole containers on occasion.

If we all care just a bit then the game is much more enjoyable for the next person. I have left a few negative logs but that is because I hope that people would behave better than they do.

So to the OP. I guess that your angst over people wanting you to take care of your caches is inappropriate. My suggestion is to go and maintain the cache and thank the cacher that alerted you to the problem. But it might just be me.

I have a love-hate relationship with the little red cross. I love it when cachers let me know that something is wrong with one of my caches. I hate seeing the little red cross on my caches because it tells me my cache is no longer as good as it could be. So I fix it ASAP.

:D Hey wait.... Isn't that exactly what the Need Maintenance log is for. :D:D Wow!! The system works.

;)

I have a love-hate relationship with the little red cross. I love it when cachers let me know that something is wrong with one of my caches. I hate seeing the little red cross on my caches because it tells me my cache is no longer as good as it could be. So I fix it ASAP.

:D Hey wait.... Isn't that exactly what the Need Maintenance log is for. :D:D Wow!! The system works.

;)

And one of the great things about using the needs maint log is that cache owners can run a pocket query on their own caches and see which ones require maintenance. Once in a while you might miss a log and having this option is helpful.

And one of the great things about using the needs maint log is that cache owners can run a pocket query on their own caches and see which ones require maintenance. Once in a while you might miss a log and having this option is helpful.

I never thought to do that... that is such a good idea! Thank you!!

-Rozie

They invented the NM log is what happened. Now any old doof can post a NM log and cast suspicion on your cache as being "not worth finding" when it's perfectly viable.

They are overused. They are abused. the few good things that they can do for you are outweighed by the sheer amount of abuse. Abuse being all the "issues" I really don't care about and which I don't mind if I encounter in someone elses' cache.

It seems that the majority of cachers here agree that "needs Maintenance" is an excellent way of informing the cache owner and the wider caching comunity that maintenance is required.

It is the responsibility of the cache owner to maintain the cache. HOWEVER as an active community we can all help to maintain other people's caches!

We have learned much from the forums. Most of it very positive. But sometimes it is amazing what upsets people. It never, ever occurred to us that someone would actually be offended if their cache needs maintenance and we post a needs maintenance log instead of sending them a personal email.

If we have cache supplies with us we'll help a cache that needs help and have done so many times. But sometimes the owner really needs to take care of it. Moldy caches, caches with black soot and fungus, caches that are physically damaged, these situations deserve attention from the owner. We have never posted a needs maintenance for a logbook, but if someone did that to us we would not be offended, we would thank them and go replace the logbook.

Edited by succotash

I DNF'd four of your caches last Sunday. I think I will go back and add "Needs Maintenance" logs because you are so excitable. They need maintenance because I couldn't freaking find them. After all, I am an awesome cache finder and these were roadside micros.

Also, quit e-mailing me for free hamsters. If you would hide something bigger than a film canister -- and if the cache were actually there -- I would leave you one.

I am sorry sir. I will try and do better in the future. I do plan on placing a cache that will interest you in the future. I WANT A HAMSTER!!!!

I am sorry sir. I will try and do better in the future. I do plan on placing a cache that will interest you in the future. I WANT A HAMSTER!!!!

This troubles me as it seems the poster is promoting a hamster agenda.