Cacheing range

How far from home can yopu place a cache. I camp frequently in a state park and would like to place one there. O know that there are at least 5 others in the park but it is a big place How do I find out before placement if it is ok. I am going this friday to find the ones there and place mine.

From the cache listing guidelines:

It may be difficult to fulfill your maintenance obligations if you place a cache while traveling on vacation or otherwise outside of your normal caching area. These caches may not be published unless you are able to demonstrate an acceptable maintenance plan. It is not uncommon for caches to go missing, areas to be cleared, trails to be blocked or closed, objects used for multi-cache or puzzles to be moved or removed, etc. Your maintenance plan must allow for a quick response to reported problems.

The territory in which a geocacher is able to maintain caches responsibly will vary from one person to the next. An active geocacher who regularly visits areas hundreds of miles apart can demonstrate their ability to maintain a cache 100 miles from home. A geocacher whose previous finds and hides are all within 25 miles of their home would likely not see their cache published if placed 250 miles away from their home.

If you have special circumstances, please describe your maintenance plan on your cache page. For example, if you have made arrangements with a local geocacher to watch over your distant cache for you, that geocacher’s name should be mentioned on your cache page.

So, each person's "caching range" will vary. If you have a clearly demonstrated caching pattern and your hide is within that general area, it's a good bet the cache will be approved. The important question is, if a problem arose, how quickly would you be able to get out there? The fact that you visit an area several times a year may not be sufficient if you can't demonstrate that you will be able to respond promptly to any immediate maintenance needs.

I've placed caches hundreds of miles from my home and had them approved no problem because my past finds show that I am often in that area. I wouldn't necessarily be able to stop by those caches right away, but I know that I could get out there within a reasonable period of time should any problems arise. I'm sure there are areas much closer to my home where my cache placement would be questioned because I rarely visit that area and have found very few caches there. In other cases I have had to enlist the help of friends or other cachers in order to get the listing approved (not necessarily because the reviewer insisted upon it, but rather because I knew ahead of time that I would need help).

Without knowing where you live or where the campground is, it's hard to say. But I would suggest that sicne you are pretty new to the game and have a more limited find history, you may find it more difficult to get a cache far from home listed without (at least) a more definitive explanation of how you intend to maintain it.

I have caches up 220 miles from home but have established myself as a cacher that visits those areas several times per year. The reviewer wants to see an established pattern that you can maintain a cache. As you are new and ahvae no other hides and a limited history. The reviewer is justifiably going to ask a bunch of questions about your ability to take care of a cache. How far away is this area anyway?? 10 to 20 miles - probably no issue. Beyond 50? - find something closer to home for your first few hides. Get a good reputation with those and then establish a visit record to the area in question and it isn't as much of an issue.

How far from home can yopu place a cache. I camp frequently in a state park and would like to place one there. O know that there are at least 5 others in the park but it is a big place How do I find out before placement if it is ok. I am going this friday to find the ones there and place mine.

It may be difficult to fulfill your maintenance obligations if you place a cache while traveling on vacation or otherwise outside of your normal caching area. These caches may not be published unless you are able to demonstrate an acceptable maintenance plan. It is not uncommon for caches to go missing, areas to be cleared, trails to be blocked or closed, objects used for multi-cache or puzzles to be moved or removed, etc. Your maintenance plan must allow for a quick response to reported problems.

The territory in which a geocacher is able to maintain caches responsibly will vary from one person to the next. An active geocacher who regularly visits areas hundreds of miles apart can demonstrate their ability to maintain a cache 100 miles from home. A geocacher whose previous finds and hides are all within 25 miles of their home would likely not see their cache published if placed 250 miles away from their home.

If you have special circumstances, please describe your maintenance plan on your cache page. For example, if you have made arrangements with a local geocacher to watch over your distant cache for you, that geocacher’s name should be mentioned on your cache page.

So, each person's "caching range" will vary. If you have a clearly demonstrated caching pattern and your hide is within that general area, it's a good bet the cache will be approved. The important question is, if a problem arose, how quickly would you be able to get out there? The fact that you visit an area several times a year may not be sufficient if you can't demonstrate that you will be able to respond promptly to any immediate maintenance needs.

I've placed caches hundreds of miles from my home and had them approved no problem because my past finds show that I am often in that area. I wouldn't necessarily be able to stop by those caches right away, but I know that I could get out there within a reasonable period of time should any problems arise. I'm sure there are areas much closer to my home where my cache placement would be questioned because I rarely visit that area and have found very few caches there. In other cases I have had to enlist the help of friends or other cachers in order to get the listing approved (not necessarily because the reviewer insisted upon it, but rather because I knew ahead of time that I would need help).

Without knowing where you live or where the campground is, it's hard to say. But I would suggest that sicne you are pretty new to the game and have a more limited find history, you may find it more difficult to get a cache far from home listed without (at least) a more definitive explanation of how you intend to maintain it.

The site is about 60 miles from my house and I camp their about 8 or 9 times a year. I also go their hiking and fishing many more times each year I am there I would say between 15 and 20 times annually. I just realized that there were 5 caches in the park and will spend my spring break (i am a school teacher) camping with my sons so will find all 5 while there if it kills us all.

The site is about 60 miles from my house and I camp their about 8 or 9 times a year. I also go their hiking and fishing many more times each year I am there I would say between 15 and 20 times annually. I just realized that there were 5 caches in the park and will spend my spring break (i am a school teacher) camping with my sons so will find all 5 while there if it kills us all.

I have some caches a good distance away from home. I have learned the value of a ammo box and large log book. I check on it maybe 1 time per year and IT does fine. I request cachers to log cache condition and if they don't I email them and ask. I am also willing and able to stop what I am doing and go fix the cache even if that will cost me time and money and it is very inconvenient. That has only happened once. If you can't be close to the cache be sure and hide to avoid muggles or it's another trip to replace it. Should do that anyway.

Basically just think thru what you are doing and don't get in a hurry about it. We all appreciate a well thought out cache.

Just me talking here, but I care more That the location be interesting than whether you have trouble maintaining it. If you think about it, it should not need much maintenence. Plastic containers I have had, got chewed on by critters and the only other problem I have had is hiders putting liquids in the cache that end up all over everything. Demand no liquids on your cache listing! It really helps.

In my opinion, many of the best caches are not close to the owner because they are OUT THERE in a really neat place, where a cache should be. Never avoid placing a cache because of distance but plan it to avoid maintennace and be willing to go if it comes up. Be committed to providing a good time for all.

Edited by GPS-Hermit

If I were a reviewer (and I'm not, so take this for what it's worth), I would probably accept that as being a reasonable distance and frequency to adequately maintain the cache. Just be sure to be up front about this, and include that information in your notes to the reviewer when you're submitting the cache listing. That doesn't guarantee there won't be any questions or issues, but you'll certainly improve your chances. Again, though, that's just my own opinion.

If for some reason there are concerns that cannot be readily resolved, I would reiterate what StarBrand has suggested and resubmit the cache once you've established a bit more of a track record of finding and maintaining caches that are more distant to your home.