A micro for large trade items?

So you place a hide a key under a park bench and it has a standard log book on the inside. You could sign the book, get your smiley and be on your way. But, on the outside of the case is written a Ottendorf Cipher like used in the movie national treasure. The cipher can be decoded using the monument directly next to the bench and takes you to a full size ammo can a 100 yards away.

So you have a park and grab that could end there for your smiley :blink: or do a little work with the puzzle and get an ammo box. Of course the ammo box would not be allowed as another find or have a log book. Just lots of good swag to trade.

Not to get the optional ALR thing all fired up again but could you tie it to one by asking if they want to find out how you fit a coffee mug in a micro or something silly like that.

BTW: just an 'Idea' please don't shoot.

Edited by WatchDog2020
The cipher can be decoded using the monument directly next to the bench and takes you to a full size ammo can a 100 yards away.

Of course the ammo box would not be allowed as another find or have a log book.

I think that is a great idea. But why not place the ammo box farther away (200 yards would do it) and make the ammo box a puzzle cache? Want a quick smilie, get the first cache. Want two smilies and good swag to trade? Do a little work.

Alternatively, as long as you allow people to log without finding the ammo box, there is no issue with having this as a traditional cache. There's nothing extra they need to do to log a find. The coordinates bring you to the log book and that fulfills the requirement of a traditional cache. But check with your local reviewer.

I've seen and found caches that contained a second "bonus cache". The second find was optional and in no way affected how you logged the find on the cache page, nor did it count as a second find.

I think as long as you follow that framework you would be okay. But check with your reviewer as they may have concerns.

I've seen and found caches that contained a second "bonus cache". The second find was optional and in no way affected how you logged the find on the cache page, nor did it count as a second find.

I think as long as you follow that framework you would be okay. But check with your reviewer as they may have concerns.

I like the bonus cache option, even though I suck at puzzles this would be one that I would probably try

I have seen several caches where you had your choice of a drive up or a 400 meter hike. One smiley, two different experiences. Satisfies the count hunters as well as those who enjoy a nice hike. Sadly, when you read the logs, most go for the drive up. But that is their perogative.

I like your idea.

So you place a hide a key under a park bench and it has a standard log book on the inside. You could sign the book, get your smiley and be on your way. But, on the outside of the case is written a Ottendorf Cipher like used in the movie national treasure. The cipher can be decoded using the monument directly next to the bench and takes you to a full size ammo can a 100 yards away.

So you have a park and grab that could end there for your smiley :blink: or do a little work with the puzzle and get an ammo box. Of course the ammo box would not be allowed as another find or have a log book. Just lots of good swag to trade.

Not to get the optional ALR thing all fired up again but could you tie it to one by asking if they want to find out how you fit a coffee mug in a micro or something silly like that.

BTW: just an 'Idea' please don't shoot.

An interesting idea.

I have certainly seen several caches that require finding several traditional caches to get parts of the coordinates for a "final" puzzle cache. There is one like that in your area and another one up near Cortland with a Snow White and the seven dwarves theme. I would imagine that either of those would be more work than visiting a single traditional and solving an ottendorf cipher, especially if the coords for the puzzle are nearby.