Good Summer Hiking/Geocaching Shoes

I'd second that -- so much depends on what sort of hiking you have in mind. On easy trails and light loads gym shoes are fine. Add water, rocks, and a backpack, and you will need something a lot more robust.

For what it's worth, a pair of Everest Sierras that I picked up ar REI a couple of summers back are still serving me well. It is a light boot that is nominally waterproof (casual splash in a puddle OK; beyond that and you are on your own), has a light tread (no heavy lugs). I have added lifts for arch support. The sole is a little thin for rocky terrain -- on stony ground you start to feel the rocks.

I would have to agree with these guys, there is no one shoe that will work for everyone. Personally I use a pair of Keen Hiking Boots and have been more than happy. I have 5 pairs of keens and my feet respond well to them. I also know that for multiday hikes they will probably fail on me. This summer is going to be day hikes so I should be good. The most important thing is to try on the shoes/boots with the socks you will be hiking in. REI will let you open the socks there in the store and walk around with any of the boots until you find one that works for you and your feet. All this being said what your really after is some recomendations so here they are.

This is the pair of keens I got, Keen Targhee II

http://www.rei.com/product/772930

Great Boot with alot of Customer Satisfaction, Vasque Breeze Gore-Tex XCR.

http://www.rei.com/product/737707

Lastly but not least is the budget purchase, The REI branded Monarch IV. Made for REI by Merrel and they do have vibram soles.

http://www.rei.com/product/747770

Go somewhere that you can really try them out- sore feet are unhappy feet!

I swear by Solomons, though. Two pairs of boots and a pair of XA Pro 3D Trail runners- just did a 7+ mile, super hilly, 5 terrain geo-hike in them today- in the rain. I have an older pair, and they are mesh so, despite being soaked through two pairs of socks, within half an hour of the rain ending, everything was dry. Now only if my work shoes would do that, I'd be happy! Even better, my feet aren't sore. Couldn't be happier with their performance.

The "Hiking in the Heat" thread evolved into a discussion about footwear and has some interesting ideas for lightweight shoes including sandals and Vibram Five Fingers. Don't dismiss sandals because they don't fit the traditional mold of "hiking footwear." I hike in Teva Terra-Fi 2's (when I wear anything at all!) and have hundreds of miles on them. They do offer some arch support but I feel that is overrated - it's best to let the arch strengthen over time. It's counterintuitive but I have tripped in regular shoes and turned my ankle but NEVER in sandals. Besides, c'mon... it's SUMMER!

Hello gang, I am looking for a good pair of hiking shoes for summer geocaching. I want something that can go through the mud, has support, and is a decent shoe. Any suggestions? Thanks!

You’re going to have to give a definition of what you consider a ‘hike’. Some will call the stroll they take across the 25 yards between their car and the cache a hike, while other won’t call anything a hike that doesn’t take at least eight hours and several miles. For the former, you have thousands of choices, for the latter, hundreds.

Looking at the finds in your profile, it seems like you’re interested in primarily 1/1 style caches, so almost any water resistant boot will suffice. You can find something suitable at any sporting goods store. If you are hoping to expand your adventuring to substantial hikes, then it get’s a little harder. Go to your nearest REI and tell them what you intend to do and let them recommend and fit a proper shoe; it will save you a lot of time and money.

There is no single answer to your question due to the huge number of variables and individual preferences.

Don't underestimate the importance of socks. For years, I used liners under wool socks, with fair success. But not any more. I'm totally sold on the Thorolo brand of hiking socks with REI branded synthetic liner socks. The Thorolo socks come in several thicknesses (light hiking, hiking, backpacking weights or something like that). I like the REI branded synthetic liners as they tend to be a little heavier than some of the other brands. The Thorolo outers and synthetic liners are available at REI. And for best results, pick your socks first, and buy your boots with the selected socks on your feet.

The comments regarding a good fit are right on. My Timberlands are size 10.5, and my Vasque are size 12. My previous pair of Vasque were size 10. For this reason, I highly recommend that you try on boots before buying them. I start with the size based on the foot measuring device at the store, and then have the sales staff bring out that size. After trying the boots on and assessing the general fit, I'll usually try the same style and brand of boot, but one half size and one full size larger and smaller. All told, you'll probably try on 3 to 5 sizes of the same boot to zero in on the correct fit. Make sure you are wearing the sock system you plan to use with your boots (see paragraph above).

I have two pairs of hiking boots: one pair of boots is relatively light and flexible; and the other pair is heavier and stiff. Both pairs go to just above the ankle, and both have Vibram traction soles. The pair I choose to wear for a trip is selected based on the anticipated terrain and the load that I will carry. The former pair for easy terrain and light loads, the latter pair for rough terrain and heavier loads. The lighter pair are Timberland, and the heavier pair are Vasque. I never wear athletic type shoes hiking - they just don't provide the required foot protection I prefer.