About to buy Garmin Vista HCx...

heymego

I'm about to get the Garmin eTrex Vista HCx, but I was wondering if you had any ideas for another unit in the same price range that has more bang for the money. I'm pretty sure I should go with the Vista, I haven't come across another unit that is a better deal.

Just making sure I'm not missing out!

I'm about to get the Garmin eTrex Vista HCx, but I was wondering if you had any ideas for another unit in the same price range that has more bang for the money. I'm pretty sure I should go with the Vista, I haven't come across another unit that is a better deal.

Just making sure I'm not missing out!

i dont have experience with other models, but i love my vista hcx.

I have owned my Vista HCx for almost a year now and I love it. Its so easy to use, has really good accuracy, good on batteries (I recommend getting rechargeable NiMH batteries that are the 2000mAh. They will pretty much last a whole day), I use a 2GB micro SD card and that will hold everything your heart desires and then some. It sure is a great unit. I bought mine at Dicks Sporting Goods and they have a optional warranty you can buy that will replace the entire unit once, no questions asked. You can run it over with your car and just make a phone call and they will set up a replacement.

I just got it this morning and already found my first cache with it!

I actually had to get two, the first device was faulty and wouldn't even turn on. So, I settled for REI's display one.

Quick question though... doesn't seem I can get the notes and hints about the caches to show up, just the name of the cache. The device does have a "notes" section, but it just repeats the title. Am I downloading the wrong file? I'm just doing the "send to GPS" button. I know there was already a thread about this, but I can't seem to find it.

I just got it this morning and already found my first cache with it!

I actually had to get two, the first device was faulty and wouldn't even turn on. So, I settled for REI's display one.

Quick question though... doesn't seem I can get the notes and hints about the caches to show up, just the name of the cache. The device does have a "notes" section, but it just repeats the title. Am I downloading the wrong file? I'm just doing the "send to GPS" button. I know there was already a thread about this, but I can't seem to find it.

I would have recommended the Delorme PN-20. It's the only GPSr in that price range with paperless caching. That means it provides you with the info you were seeking on the Vista. REI sells it as well.

you won't be able to get the notes and hints to load on the vista hcx because it's not 'true paperless' as they say. what you can do is manually enter the hint into that field that your seeing. i don't do a ton of geocaching so paperless isn't a big deal to me. there may be other ways to go paperless with it though, and if there is i'm sure someone will chime in.

Edited by namiboy

you won't be able to get the notes and hints to load on the vista hcx because it's not 'true paperless' as they say. what you can do is manually enter the hint into that field that your seeing. i don't do a ton of geocaching so paperless isn't a big deal to me. there may be other ways to go paperless with it though, and if there is i'm sure someone will chime in.

Not totally true. You can load hints to the Vista HCX using the POI loader and GSAK. It's not true paperless in the manner of a Colorado, Oregon or PN40, but you can get a good bit of cache info onto the device. It takes a bit to set it all up, but once you do its only a few mouse clicks each time you load caches.

Not totally true. You can load hints to the Vista HCX using the POI loader and GSAK. It's not true paperless in the manner of a Colorado, Oregon or PN40, but you can get a good bit of cache info onto the device. It takes a bit to set it all up, but once you do its only a few mouse clicks each time you load caches.

Thanks... I just used MapSource to edit the info.