Bad Request (Request Header Too Long)

bonstetten

After using Safari on my Mac for long, long time now, I get the error

Bad Request (Request Header Too Long)

when calling the geocaching.com website.

If I clear the browser cache and the cookies, I can access one time the website, then the problem reapear.

No problem with Firefox on the same Mac and until now no other website with the same problem found.

Any idea?

Sounds like a problem with Safari, since it's the one sending the "Request"

Are you using the latest version?

I also saw this error on Firefox 3, which resulted in a double-post of a new topic :blink:

The error was properly returned, which means the function to request the data was received. But due to its restrictions on time limits, the function was unable to complete. Since PHP is a server-side language, it could indicate a small glitch there, and is not a browser error.

Its likely the server hosting the database was unable to be reached in time (45s, I think) simply due to a heavy load or large process being ran at the same time, so I doubt its anything to worry about.

User's Browser--> Access site / server ---> PHP function "calls" database --> reaches time limit --> denied / error returned.

(Red is where the error is occuring)

EDIT: Never mind, OP is talking about a different error. Oops! I think I've been staring at text too long today...

Edited by stevensj2

Solved the problem after trying different things:

What works (until now):

- Quit Safari

- Delete (or rename) the file "Cookies.plist" in [user]/Library/Cookies

- Start Safari --> now it works normal again

Delete the Cookies or the cache allone did not helped.