more than 1000 waypoints?

I've been having fun with my Vista HCX for a couple years. 1000 waypoints max memory has always been about all I've needed. Now I'm looking into attempting a Delorme Challenge this season. So, since I'll be out on the road for about three days straight, I'm thinking it would be nice if I could save more than just 1000 caches. I was just looking up the newer Garmin products, such as the Colorado and the Oregon, and was surprised to see that they too are limited to only 1000 caches. I see the delorme pn-40 is also limited to 1000 user defined waypoints. Not finding waypoint info on the Magellan website.

So is there a hiking GPS that stores more waypoints?

Or, perhaps there is a way to expand my Vista HCX's memory? I have a 1GB chip in there but as far as I know it is only for storing maps and tracking info.

I'm brainstorming that maybe there is a way, if it hasn't already been done, to 'draw' cache locations on a map without them actually being waypoints? I mean, if it is possible to make custom maps, like this guy has done http://www.ibycus.com/ibycususa/ and use garmin mapsource to install them...but this custom map would show all caches and it would be updated every month or so. just wondering

They arn't out yet but the new Lowrance Edura series will stores 200 way points and 300 geocaches.

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Outdoo...Specifications/

Never owned a GPS before, but I think I'm holding out for this one mid next month.

I hope this was a typo since 200/300 is lower than any of them spoke about here.

Never mind; went to the page and it's 2000/3000..... :)

Edited by wkmccall

If you have an Oregon, there is a couple of things you can do:

(1) Export thousands as POI's. GSAK is great for this. GSAK has a macro that will export 2000 caches as geocaches with the associated child waypoints as POI's.

(2) You can have GSAK export more caches to separate files. Then move the files to a new directory that the Oregon does not use for caches. When you get to a new area use a PC or a PDA to move the files to the appropriate directory.

thank you all. I'll try doing the POI thing since it makes sense to me. I have never used GSAK but I guess I'm about start.

Now some POI's on my HCx only show up at certain zoom levels. Airports and Highway intersections show up at wide ranges. Resturants and stores show up at zoomed in tight ranges. How do I control it so my GSAK imported custom POIs show up at, let's say, a range of "2 miles" and closer on the little legend in the bottom left corner.

thank you all. I'll try doing the POI thing since it makes sense to me. I have never used GSAK but I guess I'm about start.

Now some POI's on my HCx only show up at certain zoom levels. Airports and Highway intersections show up at wide ranges. Resturants and stores show up at zoomed in tight ranges. How do I control it so my GSAK imported custom POIs show up at, let's say, a range of "2 miles" and closer on the little legend in the bottom left corner.

This is setup on your unit. You need to go to the settings under map (Map setup - Points section) and change the zoom level for your Map Points setting.

Edited by smithdk

This is setup on your unit. You need to go to the settings under map (Map setup - Points section) and change the zoom level for your Map Points setting.

okay, thanks. that worked. I didn't try the whole GSAK-cache-POI thing yet but I just followed your advice and was able to get my existing POIs (such as the Pizza places) to show up at a wider range. I'm in NYC and right now the widest range I can get the POIs to all show up at is 800ft. that is fine for finding nearby pizza places, but when I am hunting for nearby caches, I might want to get cahce-POIs to display at ranges up to a ....

okay, I see that playing with the detail settings will display more POIs at greater ranges. Guess that is something I will adjust depending on whether I am in a hunting in the city or in the country. hopefully will get a chance to load up and experiment with GSAK in the next few days.

I have 150,000 waypoints+ in my vista HCx. only takes about 20 MB.

If you're loading caches get GSAK, and look at the available macros. There is even one that can put a full cache page into the Vista HCx. They then load in using the POI loader (above).

Like I said, I haven't started playing with GSAK yet so the answer might present itself or be obvious down the road. sorry if that is the case, but my question is if people post and share files such as your compiled 150,000? you see, I imagine I can only load caches up 500 at a time using the pocket query method to send to them from GC to GSAK. So it took you over 300 PQs to put that together? You can only do up to five a day so that is over two months if you did the max of five a day. And by then you might not have the latest information and might be hunting recently archived caches....

So are there prepared GSAK files that have all the caches in a state, for example, as POIs but also updated every so often to eliminate achived caches?

I recommend this GSAK macro: http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=8932

While you can configure it to include A LOT I have choosed to use just the bare minimum, see my post here for my setup: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;#entry3861333

yes, I was just looking at the GSAK macro page and saw that one. fortunately it is the first one. I only read down the the 'D's till my eyes glazed over. lots of Marcos. I'll try that one first though. thanks.

Good thing we don't have speed cameras around here yet but we do have red light cameras (not that I speed or run lights often) so I like what you say about being able to load those up too.

So are there prepared GSAK files that have all the caches in a state, for example, as POIs but also updated every so often to eliminate achived caches?

Nope. You have to come up with your own strategy using your 40 PQ slots to get the coverage you require. if you have a defined ruote, use the "caches along a route" feature and use other PQs to get better coverage of areas you are going to stop and cache in.