Keeping track

OldLog

Goto www.gsak.net

GSAK is a great database program for keeping track of not only your finds but any caches that you have downloaded. You can load caches directly into your GPS with it. The support is excellent( see the Help forums at their site) and it is worth the $30 (you can us it unregistered but you do get a nag screen)

Good Luck and happy hunting

I just use the GC website. It does a great job keeping track of everything for me.

Too bad it doesn't keep track of everything.

Like, for example, the order in which you found the caches.

gsak doesn't do it all, either, though it is a useful program for some things.

I keep a separate database of my finds for my own use.

I write down all my logs in a word document. One separate document for each year. I also note the time of the log.

This way I have a complete list of what and where.

Then I copy paste the logs into my online logs.

The main reason for this is the benefit of the buildt in spelling control, plus that I feel no pressure of timeout and I can review my log several times until I am happy with it.

How do you keep track of your finds. Is there a logbook you use or a software program or do you use a notebook of some sort.?

Well my Colorado will keep track of when I found the caches which I can import into gc.com, and log my finds...now as far as remembering things about the individual caches when I go to log them on gc.com, I use to keep up with a notebook...now I have a boyfriend with a great memory :blink:

That was finally fixed in the last update. As long as you log them in order as you found them (or attended or DNF'd, etc.), they are now sorted correctly.

Edited to add that if you go to my finds, you will see them in the order I found them (reversed, of course).

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?ul=mtn-man

Edited by mtn-man

How do you keep track of your finds. Is there a logbook you use or a software program or do you use a notebook of some sort.?

Well my Colorado will keep track of when I found the caches which I can import into gc.com, and log my finds...now as far as remembering things about the individual caches when I go to log them on gc.com, I use to keep up with a notebook...now I have a boyfriend with a great memory :blink:

oh yea? Ask him to tell you he date on which you met.

oh yea? Ask him to tell you he date on which you met.

Ha...gc.com helps him with that too...it was his first event in MS...so should he forget he can always use gc.com to remember. :blink:

Now that's one impressive website feature. :blink:

I wonder if the OP is asking for more than we're giving them? Perhaps they mean-out in the field during the caching day(s) before you log them on the website or at GSAK?

I used the calendar feature of my Garmin 60CSx to remember which caches I found during the caching day. If I have a DNF, I edit the description with the DNF note, and still click found it to drop it into the calendar file. When I post my finds at geocaching.com I simply open the calendar function and scroll through the entries to log my activity here.

Edited by wimseyguy

That was finally fixed in the last update. As long as you log them in order as you found them (or attended or DNF'd, etc.), they are now sorted correctly.

I was aware of that. Does not solve the problem. If you forget a find, or have a log deleted, the finds will forever be out of order.

There is no way to fix those things with the current site implementation.

I have them tattooed to my body.

(ok... obviously not true. I use GSAK)

I wonder if the OP is asking for more than we're giving them? Perhaps they mean-out in the field during the caching day(s) before you log them on the website or at GSAK?

I think you're right, this is probably what the OP meant to ask. We won't know for sure till we hear back from him. I use Cachemate on a Palm, but for logging I merely rely on my memory. It doesn't take that much effort to remember some details about 10 caches (most I've done in between logging) if logged on the same day.

in the field i use an awesome binder i put together, with tabs of caches to find (printed off the website), a place for random notes, and a section for finds (i place the cache printout here, marked with any journal notes I have written for reference when I get back home). I take care to put the found pages in order of finding. This has been problematic when I have gone paperless a couple times, and at the event I went to this past weekend where we got a printed listing of caches and coords to put in manually. 66 caches on 2 pages. I ended up writing down the ones we found on one page in order we found them and put them in the correct place in the found section.

Online, I only use the GC website, which i update with the notes I write on the cache printouts.

I also try to take pictures (if I remember) of cache trips/sites/interesting features, and trackables before i place them in a new home, so I'll have something to help jog my memory.

One day we'll go paperless and then I don't know what I'll do.