Why Are Cache Descriptions Limited to Ten Attributes?

Thot

This is a curiosity question, but I've been wondering about it for a long time

The cache page provides twelve spaces/blanks/positions for attributes, but only ten are permitted. This forces there to be at least two blank spaces.

Why not allow twelve and use the allocated space?

Edited by Thot

One of the "two empty spaces" is reserved for the "Needs Maintenance" attribute, should it become necessary.

I see. Thanks for your reply.

I've wondered about that too. Does anybody really use that attribute? I occasionally make a needs maintenance log but I would never notice a needs maintenance attribute so I wouldn't think to add it.

The "Needs Maintenance" attribute appears when a Needs Maintenance log is posted by anyone. It isn't added directly. And, it can only be cleared by an "Owner Maintenance" log by the cache owner.

And, yes, it is used quite often by cachers to report a cache that is in trouble (broken, missing parts, etc.). Some will report an NM log for a full log sheet but that is a weak reason - any cacher can add a log if needed to help the owner out.

Many people will filter out caches with the NM attribute and not seek them.

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

You can't add Needs Maintenance icon to your own cache? apparently Groundspeak thinks that if you know your cache Needs Maintenance, you ought to do it!

I know you can't log a Needs Maintenance to your own cache, I've tried, thinking to put the maintenance issue in a log where I could quickly see it.

In any case, one of the empty spots is for the NM Icon, and likely the other is reserved for possible future use.