Cache adoption question

Me and my 8year old dauter recently placed a cache. Then, she wanted her own account. So I adopted out the cache to her. Now it is showing as not found.

Question: Would it be considered unethical to enter a found log to fix this, or is there another solution?

Some will call it unethical, but I would do it. I've helped hide hundreds of caches that I don't own, since Groundspeak doesn't allow two owners, either they would fill up my GPS every time I load it as the nearest unfound caches, or I need to claim a find on them... I don't know about other places but in Utah its SOP that when multiple people hide a cache the people who don't own it add it to their watchlist and wait until after the FTF and then log it.

...or is there another solution?

Hit this button on the top right hand corner of the cache page: stop_file.gifignore listing

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

We have a winner. Don't log a cache that you placed. :blink:

Been there. Done that. sorta.

I hid one with my wife on her account. I put it on my ignore list. I also put it on my watch list.

That way it doesn't show up on my PQ's and so on and I can still keep up with it via emails.

Some will call it unethical, but I would do it. I've helped hide hundreds of caches that I don't own, since Groundspeak doesn't allow two owners, either they would fill up my GPS every time I load it as the nearest unfound caches, or I need to claim a find on them... I don't know about other places but in Utah its SOP that when multiple people hide a cache the people who don't own it add it to their watchlist and wait until after the FTF and then log it.

I guess Utah cachers cache differently. :blink: Do what Stunod does, unless it is "all about the numbers." :blink:

...or is there another solution?

Hit this button on the top right hand corner of the cache page: stop_file.gifignore listing

Basic members like the OP don't have an ignore list.

You can certainly post a found it log on your daughter's cache so you can hide it in searches. Don't listen to the puritans who say this is unethical. The puritans do not understand the multiple purpose of the 'Found It' log. To them the only acceptable use is to count the number of caches you have found according to their definition of found. They of course will say you can't find a a cache that you hid so it doesn't really matter if you or your daughter own this cache, you can't find this cache. Well it may be true that you can't find this cache, but you can post a 'Found It' log on the cache. This will give you the advantage of marking this cache so you can hide it from your searches for caches. You can write in the log about your experiences hiding the cache with your daughter and later on look back at this log just as you would for any cache you have found. Your find count will be one higher than what the puritans believe it should be. Some will call you a cheater. You are not cheating, you are using the 'Found It' log for one of its intended purpose - marking caches so they don't show up in your searches. (Premium members have another option of using the ignore list to do this, but that doesn't mean that you can't still do this by posting a 'Found It' log). Resist the puritans trying to force their narrow interpretation of logging etiquette on the rest of us!

Edited by tozainamboku

You can certainly post a found it log on your daughter's cache so you can hide it in searches. Don't listen to the puritans who say this is unethical. The puritans do not understand the multiple purpose of the 'Found It' log. To them the only acceptable use is to count the number of caches you have found according to their definition of found. They of course will say you can't find a a cache that you hid so it doesn't really matter if you or your daughter own this cache, you can't find this cache. Well it may be true that you can't find this cache, but you can post a 'Found It' log on the cache. This will give you the advantage of marking this cache so you can hide it from your searches for caches. You can write in the log about your experiences hiding the cache with your daughter and later on look back at this log just as you would for any cache you have found. Your find count will be one higher than what the puritans believe it should be. Some will call you a cheater. You are not cheating, you are using the 'Found It' log for one of its intended purpose - marking caches so they don't show up in your searches. (Premium members have another option of using the ignore list to do this, but that doesn't mean that you can't still do this by posting a 'Found It' log). Resist the puritans trying to force their narrow interpretation of logging etiquette on the rest of us!

You sure love to bring up Puritans, and heretics in your posts, just to be spiteful. Why don't you ever refer to geocachers who have strong views, as Orthodox cachers? Perhaps the reason is your desire to insult religions other than yours?

Edited by Kit Fox

You sure love to bring up Puritans, and heretics in your posts, just to be spiteful. Why don't you ever refer to geocachers who have strong views, as Orthodox cachers? Perhaps the reason is your desire to insult religions other than yours?

Which ones don't have strong views? I thought they all did, some have strong view on some subjects, some on others.

Depends on what you want your find count to mean, and that only needs to mean something to you. I prefer to keep my find count to mean finds I have made. By choice I'd hide that count from the general public if I could. But that is a different subject.

Put it on your ignore list AND your watch list? That just doesn't sound right but as long as it works it works.

Sure it makes sense. Here's the scenario I use.... I go to a cache and, bummer, I can't find it. Then I notice that the last four people couldn't find it either. So, to block it from my PQs, I put it on my ignore list. But, I want to find it in the future when there is a "Found It" log so it goes on the Watchlist too. Thus, I get a notice that it was found, repaired, etc. I review the log to make sure it's not a bogus log (note the rest of this thread!!!) and then take if off my ignore list. Now it'll show up again in my PQ and I'm all set.

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

Funny. When I look at the smiley faces on my profile page (the last 30 logs page now), I see boilerplate narrative that says "<Cacher name> found <cache name> (Traditional Cache)". When I go to my public profile and click on "Geocaches" it says "List of Geocaches found".

Now, my understanding of the term "Found" doesn't have any other meaning other than "I found it" (meaning the cache). What else could it possibly mean?

The "You are not cheating, you are using the 'Found It' log for one of its intended purpose - marking caches so they don't show up in your searches." is backwards logic. That's not the "intended" purpose of the "Found It" log, it's the consequences of that log - that it won't show up again in your "Unfound" list. All caches carry the "Not found" marker until you change that category by entering a "Found It" log. Just like the Needs Maintenance attribute is turned off until there is a NM log.

So, thanks for the info on Utah SOP. I'll now discount all of their counts by some percentage. Maybe by the number of "hides" they claim.

Yes, the ignore function is a Premium Member feature. So that you can "Ignore" caches. It's one of the perks of paying for the extra services.

I guess I could call them Taliban cachers but that would be too easy.

I aways use puritan with a lower case 'p' because I am not referring to any of the Protestant groups of 16th and 17th century England, including those that settled in New England, even though those Puritans were known for accusing people of witchcraft. Instead it used it the modern usage where refers to any people who hold strict views on morality and social conduct, disapprove of recreation, and wish to impose these beliefs on others. There are no doubt people who see even lower-case puritanism as desirable but others have used the term to represent an extremist view that doesn't belong in a game like geocaching.

In my personal opinion, any extremist religious belief that doesn't tolerate a diversity of opinions is bad. I suppose I should say again that I have no problem with individuals who personally follow a strict guideline for when they log caches. And I certainly feel that if they find bogus logs on their own caches they have the right to delete these logs. My problem is with the attack on someone who simply wants to hide a cache owned by her daughter from searches for nearby caches. Logging a 'Found It" will accomplish that.

See cache, cause log to be signed, log find online.

Note that this is even more permissive than many would lay out, but it's certainly SOP in SoCal.

I would not call someone following different practices a puritan. If I do that, then we're all puritans. Almost no one here would accept armchair logging of traditional caches (without even reaching the general vicinity of the cache). However, it doesn't take a lot of reading here to realize that practices vary by region.

If anyone is hung up on find count, their first concern should be groups caching. In SoCal, I've never read a log indicating gorups using the "each cacher must find the cache independently" practice. Rather, the practice is that someone in the group finds the cache, and someone signs all the names. This changes the numbers hugely. My find count might easily double or triple if I did most of my caching in groups rather than alone.

However, my terrain average is about 2.65 ... now, THAT number is important ... :blink:

Edward

Put it on your ignore list AND your watch list? That just doesn't sound right but as long as it works it works.

Sure it makes sense. Here's the scenario I use.... I go to a cache and, bummer, I can't find it. Then I notice that the last four people couldn't find it either. So, to block it from my PQs, I put it on my ignore list. But, I want to find it in the future when there is a "Found It" log so it goes on the Watchlist too. Thus, I get a notice that it was found, repaired, etc. I review the log to make sure it's not a bogus log (note the rest of this thread!!!) and then take if off my ignore list. Now it'll show up again in my PQ and I'm all set.

I understand it. It 's just one of those things. Are you watching it? If so how can you ignore it? It just sounds odd.

Edit = Yes, I have two accounts.

Edited by GOF & Bacall

In this particular game of no rules, the only moral values you need to adhere to are your own. Since Groundspeak decided not to define what constitutes a proper "Find", that decision must lie with you. What feels right for you may not feel right to me. That's perfectly OK. My life philosophy falls along the lines of, "An it harm none, do what ye will". If your account logged a find on a cache you hid, which is now under your daughter's account, would anybody be hurt? The act of unnecessarily harming another soul is my personal definition of "Sin", with everything else being invented nonsense.

Some would call this moral relativism. I would argue that, in this particular instance, morals don't apply.

Do what you think is right, and you'll seldom go wrong.

Just $0.02 from an ol' fat crippled guy with a smelly hat. :blink:

Well I guess I learned one thing. There will never be a consencise in any community.

For now I am going to leave it as not found. Maybe I will get a preimum membership in the future and use this ignor list. Or maybe I will be poor, and then i will log it as found to get it off my list.

PS I have 'found' it several times since hiding it. Of course the definition of 'found' is subjective.

It works very well for me, regarding caches hidden by my daughter under her account. I watchlist her caches so I know if there's a maintenance issue. Unless notifications can get sent to Facebook, it's hard to get a 15 year old to focus on monitoring cache logs.

It works very well for me, regarding caches hidden by my daughter under her account. I watchlist her caches so I know if there's a maintenance issue. Unless notifications can get sent to Facebook, it's hard to get a 15 year old to focus on monitoring cache logs.

Yup, I get it. It just "sounds" funny. Watching and ignoring sound like they should be mutually exclusive yet we all know that in this situation they aren't.

Well I guess I learned one thing. There will never be a consencise in any community.

For now I am going to leave it as not found. Maybe I will get a preimum membership in the future and use this ignor list. Or maybe I will be poor, and then i will log it as found to get it off my list.

PS I have 'found' it several times since hiding it. Of course the definition of 'found' is subjective.

Or, you could simply post a find on your daughter's first cache, (hopefully, she'll be thrilled), and ignore the fact that you inadvertently stumbled onto a topic that some have dedicated years, arguing over.

:blink: