Cache Thieves - Why do some people want to spoil our hobby?

Hi all,

It has come to our attention that thieves are taking caches locally just for the hell of it. They are banned members but their logs proclaiming their thieving antics are still up. You may like to look at the 31st March log for GC1NN1W to see what I mean. They even have the cheek to offer their email address so that we can tell them our views on their doings. Why do people like this HAVE to spoil other peoples enjoyment.

Edited by Ben Macdui

Hi all,

It has come to our attention that thieves are taking caches locally just for the hell of it. They are banned members but their logs proclaiming their thieving antics are still up. You may like to look at the 31st March log for GC1NN1W to see what I mean. They even have the cheek to offer their email address so that we can tell them our views on their doings: thesportythiefs@gmail.com

We cannot catch these B%&$@*DS but we can tell them what we think.

I think you're doing the wrong thing drawing attention to it here. Attention is what they want.

Ignore them and they'll go away. Seriously - the novelty will wear off. There's often been things like this going on, but people come and go, and you'll probably find it gets resolved eventually.

It's a shame, but the world is full of knob-ends. Just don't let it get to you.

Lee

Its a difficult call, ignore them completely or have it mentioned here so that the community is aware of it?

One thing definitely not to do is feed their infantile egos by sending anything to their email address.

This is one of the drawbacks of the increasing public profile for Geocaching coupled with the proliferation of caches, especially in the urban sprawl.

If you actually look at the evidence, it doesn't 'add up'.

This user name has 4 finds, all on the same day and all (apart from GC1MF1F) have subsequent found logs. The one that is missing (GC1MF1F) looks like it went a few days before their log.

So these logs are actually only evidence that "thesportythieves" are sitting at home on a computer acting like children. If they had actually been out and visited the caches, and not removed them, then they are even more intellectually challenged than they appear.

No more of an issue that virtual cachers from Germany logging finds around the world!!

Solution: put nanos out 'cause they ain't worth the bother! :)

Argh! Don't go there!

I wish people were a bit more consistent with labelling nanos actually - personally I'd classify them as micros, but a lot of people list them as "Other", making them show up as non-micros on Memory Map. I get very annoyed when it looks like I'm near a regular-sized cache, only to discover it's a nano when reading the description.

Grrr. I'm angry now.

Lee

There was a problem in Ireland where after placing a new cache and then publishing it logbooks went missing from the caches - causing the owner to go back to replace logbooks . It was solved by making the caches Premium Member caches .It seems that the person who was removing the logbooks then could not see the caches and was not able to cause their mischief.

Solution: put nanos out 'cause they ain't worth the bother! :)

Argh! Don't go there!

I wish people were a bit more consistent with labelling nanos actually - personally I'd classify them as micros, but a lot of people list them as "Other", making them show up as non-micros on Memory Map. I get very annoyed when it looks like I'm near a regular-sized cache, only to discover it's a nano when reading the description.

Grrr. I'm angry now.

Lee

My latest cache makes a nano look big; I'd guess you could get a couple of dozen of them into a nano. I'd call it a pico.

hi i see you said they were the sporty thieves dont know were that cache was as not full member is it dorset if not we have them here went sunday to find one and they had taken cache and even left a note just thinking is it one person or a group all over the country

hi i see you said they were the sporty thieves dont know were that cache was as not full member is it dorset if not we have them here went sunday to find one and they had taken cache and even left a note just thinking is it one person or a group all over the country

With a little punctuation I might even have understood the above :P

They are around the Dorest area, near Bournemouth.

Some people just need to get a life. Can it be clased as theft?

With a little punctuation I might even have understood the above :P

Oh Dear, you missed out the comma after punctuation and the full stop after above! I suppose even you can't be perfect? :D

Welcome to the forum picona :D

I think they are still busy one wonders how many cache details they got before they were banned.maybe only full members should be able to see the cache size and what is inside ie coins and bugs they may get fed up of finding only micro caches and get fed up of being a muppet just a thought oh bad punctuation is due to having man flu and i have been transcribing old cencus returns and church records head go pop soon :)

Occurrences like this are going to happen sadly with the increasing popularity of geocaching in the media and with these new 'your neighbours could be terrorists' ad campaigns from the police the hobby will get more focus.

Just ignore these people, they will run out of enthusiasm for it.

Besides... there's too many caches and geocachers... they can't get them all :blink: