USB battery box

Some GPS models and most cellphones that don't take easily replaceable batteries. Magellan's eXplorist 400/500/600 series (sans the optional battery clip), Garmin's Edge series for bikes, along with iPhone.

I've been looking at a few USB battery boxes, like this one... http://www.bixnet.com/usbbaboxc4aa.html trying to figure if it's worth tossing one in my pack for day trips. I don't plan on stringing it to my phone or GPS while actually on the go, but using it for a quick "top-up" when stopped. Y'know, while I'm chomping away on a ClifBar, give the phone or the GPS a little snack too.

Anybody used one of these, any brand or homebrew? Any you would recommend (or avoid)?

PS: On the "Avoid" side, I can already mention the Energi for the iPod from Energizer. I picked up a two-pack very cheaply from Woot last week -- a bargain because it included some e2 lithium batteries. It does work, sort of, but only for the iPod and iPhone. And the fit on the connector is a bit shaky.

PS: On the "Avoid" side, I can already mention the Energi for the iPod from Energizer. I picked up a two-pack very cheaply from Woot last week -- a bargain because it included some e2 lithium batteries. It does work, sort of, but only for the iPod and iPhone. And the fit on the connector is a bit shaky.

I had wondered about those and wonder if it's the same problem with their cell phone charger (link)

...Black-Decker-CP120B-20-Watt-Battery...
That's kinda neat but for "on the go" I think it's got the same problem I'm trying to solve -- when it bonks, where do you charge it? A battery box that holds AAs could be "refreshed" at any convenience store for the urban cacher, or I could just leave the house with lots of AAs in my pack. Do that with my PN-40 anyhow,

If I know I'm going to be out all day but still in "civilization," I just carry my iPhone's charger. It's tiny, hardly weighs as much as a pair of AA batteries, and I can always sneak a charge from an outlet in a cafe while I'm refueling myself. Also, I can use it as a generic USB charger if I bring along the right cable. Works a treat for the PN-40, which is pretty finicky about external power.

Cheap knock-offs here, and I recommend this USB charger to anyone who is interested:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19242

But back on topic, I've found cheap USB battery boxes that hold 4 AA batteries for as little as $10 online. I think I could probably make one myself even without a regulating circuit -- wouldn't 4 NIMH batteries come to right around 5 volts? Would the 6 volts of an alkaline 4-pack be a damaging over-voltage?

Edited by lee_rimar
Enrgi ...wonder if it's the same problem with their cell phone charger
Problem I had with the Energi is that it's really made JUST for the iPod and maybe the earlier iPhone's that have a flat back. The connection is a bit loose to begin with -- and since the back of the iPhone 3g is a bit curved you have to be very careful about getting it snapped in exactly right. Once snapped in, you can't touch the thing or you'll break the connection. But it was cheap and I can regift it :rolleyes:

I did get my iPhone to run overnight in Motion-X's GPS application with it though -- set it on the windowsill before bedtime and it was still alive in the morning. That app running in full-time mode will usually suck the iPhone's built-in battery dry in 3-4 hours.

I have been using one for a few years. I bought this one from Gomadic. They have multiple different tips for it, including the 5-pin mini-USB connector. I use it regularly during the summer on the golf course. My iQue 3600 has just barely enough battery life for a quick 18 holes. If we end up getting stuck behind some slow golfers it won't quite last, so I always connect the external pack before teeing off and it never lets me down.

I use NiMH rechargeables in it for golf. When I'm on the road/trail away from electrical outlets, I toss it in my backpack with a handful of alkalines.

I built my own and used it for a couple of years before I discovered they were cheaply available on the internet. I think I still have pictures and a parts list (all two parts!) collecting dust somewhere if anyone is interested.

...ken...

Edited by Ken in Regina
Enrgi ...wonder if it's the same problem with their cell phone charger
Problem I had with the Energi is that it's really made JUST for the iPod

The model I was thinking of is their generic cell phone recharger that comes with (I believe) a miniUSB as one of the cable ends.

Edit to add that I was thinking of this for use with a GPS like a Nuvi.

Edited by PDOP's

I had one of those for backpacking with my Explorist 500, where it was useful for topping off the Li-Ion rechargeable in the 500 overnight. With something like the PN-40, it's an unnecessary step of course, because one may as well put the AA's directly in the PN when it needs a recharge.

So yeah, I think these kinds of things are good when you can benefit from providing a USB charge from AA power. I bought an inexpensive unit that was around $10 or so; it seemed to work fine for me.

I've been looking at a few USB battery boxes, like this one... http://www.bixnet.com/usbbaboxc4aa.html trying to figure if it's worth tossing one in my pack for day trips. I don't plan on stringing it to my phone or GPS while actually on the go, but using it for a quick "top-up" when stopped. Y'know, while I'm chomping away on a ClifBar, give the phone or the GPS a little snack too.

I use something like that (4AA, USB port) and they work great. If the device can be powered or charged by USB mode, then this will work. Though, personally I prefer to get devices that uses standard batteries instead, but that's not alway possible.

Edit:

I have this ~$15CAD.

25u5w5v.jpg

Came with 4AA NiMH that I replaced with higher capacity cells, bunch of tips for various phones and devices (including mini-usb). The USB port is built into the device.

Yes, avoid the Energizer. It only uses 2AA batteries. USB is 5V+/-0.25V. To achieve that, the unit has to step-up the voltage, which is inefficient. Otherwise, it will only slow charge the device.

4AA NiMH is perfect (1.2V*4=4.8V) for powering USB devices. 4AA alkalines (1.5V*4=6V) may not work, unless the device has a 5V regulator, or diode to drop the voltage a little.

Duracell also sells a 4AA charger that also works to power USB devices off the batteries. I've bever tried it. Though it looks nice, it's really bulky. Link.

Edited by notnormal

Most of these USB power packs, have a regulated 5V output, while I imagine the cell phone versions are 3V.. If the GPSr has any form of USB-A connector (or, going from a USB-A to Mini-5 pin :P it shouldn't hurt, but I imagine the 3V (2X AA) packs won't provide enough... (that, or the GPSr will drain it quickly.) I'd be careful of the 4-cell devices.. that 1V higher (6V) and could prove fatal to electronic devices if not regulated in some form or another.

I use something like that (4AA, USB port) and they work great. If the device can be powered or charged by USB mode, then this will work. Though, personally I prefer to get devices that uses standard batteries instead, but that's not alway possible.

Edit:

I have this ~$15CAD.

notnormal do you have a link for that? Can you give of how much extra run time it provides (with a GPSr or other device)?

notnormal do you have a link for that? Can you give of how much extra run time it provides (with a GPSr or other device)?

I bought it from Canadian Tires. They're regularly $24.99 :P, but they'll often have it on sale for $14.99. Noma Pocket Power.

As for run time, that's hard to say and it depends on the device. I swapped the included batteries (1200mAH) with (~2500mAH). Don't use Alkalines as there are no regulators or diodes in this device.

With most devices I've used it on (mp3 players, Nintendo DS lite, PDA, etc) I could charge the devices 2-3 times, or run the device and get 3 times the runtime.

I use this for traveling, when I don't want to carry a bunch of AC adapter or when I'll be away from power sources for extended periods of time.

Edited by notnormal

Last year I bought a Solar powered USB charger with an internal 2000mAH battery. I can get almost 2.5 charges to my GPS without recharging it. It can recharge via ac-adapter or the sun while hiking. I usually attach it to my bag so it is soaking up the sun while I hike. The best part is not having to worry about AA batteries, rechargeable or not. You can find them from $35 and up. Mine cost me $5 last year(first link) and is the same price this year, and is well worth it for what you get. I included some links below to get you started, but do your research and get one that suits you. You will not be sorry, especially the greenies.

What I have:

http://www.atbatt.com/product/20807.asp?ut..._campaign=frog1

Similar product for less:

http://www.chinavasion.com/product_info.ph...ble-electronics

More expensive, but longer battery:

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-Intelligent-Solar-...93%3A4|294%3A50

Edited by Psycada

Interesting.

I note a typo you made...I was thinking a 200 mAh battery wouldn't be very useful, but the specs in the link specify a 2000 mAh battery. *That* could be useful for overnight recharging.

You're right, it is 2000mAH. I edited the post. Thanks for catching, big diff between 200 and 2000.