Email Server Down or very Backlogged

sawblade5

Yep -- emails not getting delivered down here to the southern isles either !! LOL

Send three new requests last night (my time)- Two of them came within an hour or so, the other one not here yet over 10 hours later, even though they were all supposely done within a few minutes of each other.

Also some cache logs did not come through either. We got three find or DNF logs from a cacher visiting our area, so I though " I'll just look at their profile and see what other caches they did in town" to discover that they had done a bunch more of our caches, but we have not as yet recieved the emails for their logs. I would particularly like to know if they had DNFs on any more of our caches, without having to individually check each cache's logs.

Annie

Yep -- emails not getting delivered down here to the southern isles either !! LOL

Send three new requests last night (my time)- Two of them came within an hour or so, the other one not here yet over 10 hours later, even though they were all supposely done within a few minutes of each other.

Status from Denmark

Recieved 3 of 5 PQ, 1 of 3 notifications and 1 logging out of I do not know how many. I think the server has a hick up. :rolleyes:

ran the MY Finds ar 7:56am Pacific time and it shows it was generated but still no email. I am using a gmail account also. Remember when they had problems with hotmail and said switch to gmail? I questioned what would happen when gmail stopped working and got no response. Well, it looks like we now know what happens....nothing. :rolleyes:

ran the MY Finds ar 7:56am Pacific time and it shows it was generated but still no email. I am using a gmail account also. Remember when they had problems with hotmail and said switch to gmail? I questioned what would happen when gmail stopped working and got no response. Well, it looks like we now know what happens....nothing. :rolleyes:

This isn't any one e-mail account. If the mail doesn't get sent out it can't get delivered. Thats the problem....again.

Hey, whoever accused me of whining go right the *&%( ahead.

It's not life or death but I have been quite busy the last few days and wanted a PQ for my trip. I think it's pretty crappy that a service we pay for is down and not one word from anyone at GS by now.

I thought I'd get to Boston and it would be in my mail and it's still not.

So if it's not within a mile of here I guess I won't be caching.

I ran a new pq this morning and it ran right away but I never received it in my email.

I ran another this afternoon and it also ran right away but again I never received it.

I posted a note for one of my caches and I did receive a copy of that log. Also checked spam filter and it was not kicked out-I just plain didn't get it.

Interesting that Michael was quick to say it wasn't their problem and hasn't been heard from since.

As long as they keep getting paid they have no incentive to fix any of the real problems.

Maybe a mass canceling of accounts might get their attention.

There's only been ONE single posting by anyone that could at least pick up a phone to have someone look at it, and honestly I don't believe his posting. No other moderator or "lackie" has stepped in, despite multiple threads complaining about both missing PQ's and missing owner, notify, and watch list emails.

There is very clearly an undeniable problem here, yet by all indications, gc has chosen to deny it (yeah, thanks for nothing Michael, you had a chance to do the right thing and you didn't).

I ran a My Finds PQ yesterday (4/4/2009) and it was generated at 9:52:00 PM PST. I have not received the PQ in my email (Domain: comcast.net). One of my regularly-scheduled PQ was generated at 6:52:30 AM PST and arrived in my mailbox at the same time. The other scheduled PQ that I have for Sundays was generated at 10:57:04 AM PST and has not been received by email.

I have 4 PQ's scheduled to run on Sunday. According to the "My Pocket Queries" page, all four ran around 1:55am today (Sunday). Two of the emails were delivered to my GMail account almost immediately. The other two still have not arrived. I have received some emails for new cache publishes, etc, buy I know I have not received all that I should be. Yes, this appears to be a Groundspeak email server issue.

I ran the first test and it worked . About 1.5 hours ago I ran it again and it didn't. So I called it in. It should be fixed soon.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got a call. The problem has been repaired. It will take a little time for the backlog to work through.

Thank you for your patience.

Michael.

Edited by Michael

ran the MY Finds ar 7:56am Pacific time and it shows it was generated but still no email. I am using a gmail account also. Remember when they had problems with hotmail and said switch to gmail? I questioned what would happen when gmail stopped working and got no response. Well, it looks like we now know what happens....nothing. :)

My PQs go to GMail and did get delivered. It's not a GMail issue.

I ran the first test and it worked . About 1.5 hours ago I ran it again and it didn't. So I called it in. It should be fixed soon.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got a call. The problem has been repaired. It will take a little time for the backlog to work through.

Michael.

I'm starting to get new cache notifications from this morning now :)

The flood gates are starting to open.

Michael.

Well thanks but at 9:50 at night when I just received mine it's a little late for me to go out caching in this strange city that I am visiting.

Had you reported it over 12 hours ago when we told you there was a problem we might have gotten our PQ's on our day off.

Sorry, you all dropped the ball on this bigtime.

Someone should be doing a health check 7 days a week and yes, that means Sunday.

Michael.

I am a little curious - in a polite kind of way B) - as to why it was that we all were not believed ( :) apparently) when we said there was an issue. And we made clear that it was a random thing as to whether emails were getting through or not. You sent one test - which worked. Fair enough. But the evidence from however many people that are on this thread (many of whom had requested multiple PQs, or were expecting multiple log/notifications/etc) was that something was wrong, even if your one initial test went OK. Especially given the evidence that it was a random problem - but still a significant problem. I'd just like to know why the evidence in these posts wasn't enough.

And yes - I realise it was/is the weekend where GS is based, but it isn't for the rest of the world. :D Plus even in Groundspeakland :D the weekend is prime caching time for alot of people.

Politely and enquiringly yours :lol:

Annie

Looks like GC server starting to come back to life.

I sent myself an email through my profile six hours ago and it just now arrived.

Not all is bad however.

I was first to find a cache today since I knew of a new cache despite not yet getting the email.

Showed up with plenty of time to look for it.

The cache was shown on the owners profile as published, but no notifications were sent out.

Still haven't gotten mine about 10 hours later. But I was FTF!

Edited by Ether Bunny

Well, have now recieved 6 or 7 emails for found logs, moved TBs and the like. But still not the missing PQs - have not recieved the original that I did about 24 hours ago now, nor the replacement PQ that I did about 13 hours ago. :)

Annie

I think if they don't run on the same day(server time) they are lost. You might have to do them again now that the issue appears to be fixed.

The server day changed to Monday 2 hours ago.

Hope this helps

I guess someone finally woke up came in on their day off and fixed the mail server.

I made that statement accurate.

You are probably correct. But one has to wonder why a company would have no one watching the operation on their busiest day of the week? Just doesn't make good business sense.

My PQ's finally arrived 24 hrs late. I had already made my trip of 300 mile one way and returned home all before they even arrived. Very disappointing, & unhappy for a paid sub. However I do not want to pay a high sup. for some one to set there ready to kick the server while reading a book or sleeping. Working weekends stinks and I for one do not like working weekends. Hopefully the root cause will be corrected & the next time i need PQ's they will arrive in a timely manner.

Thanks for your continued efforts & thanks for coming in on your day off to fix the server. Maybe it made a difference for some one to get there PQ's within their time needed.

I guess someone finally woke up came in on their day off and fixed the mail server.

You are probably correct. But one has to wonder why a company would have no one watching the operation on their busiest day of the week? Just doesn't make good business sense.

Michael was watching. He did a test early on and his worked. My guess would be that he thought the backlog was just getting pushed out and things would get back to normal. That's what I thought when I read this topic. Later in the day it seemed like something was still up so I did a test myself. The PQ generated quickly but never came to my email. I got in touch with him. He also ran a similar test and got a failed result. He called in the troops and it got fixed. Granted, it wasn't as fast as many would have liked, but your assertion that everyone was asleep at the wheel is a false one.

Michael was watching. He did a test early on and his worked. My guess would be that he thought the backlog was just getting pushed out and things would get back to normal. That's what I thought when I read this topic. Later in the day it seemed like something was still up so I did a test myself. The PQ generated quickly but never came to my email. I got in touch with him. He also ran a similar test and got a failed result. He called in the troops and it got fixed. Granted, it wasn't as fast as many would have liked, but your assertion that everyone was asleep at the wheel is a false one.

I don't want to beat a dead horse here but...........

It's a pay service. It's advertised as 24/7

Someone should be on call 24/7

Remote access should be setup so someone doesn't HAVE to come in.

Weekends are the busiest time for this PAY SERVICE. Maybe the days off should be rotated.

my 2¢

Stop complaining.

I got PQs for caching this weekend on Friday morning. Set up checklists and maps for Saturday and Sunday. Was out until dusk both days. Logging caches today. the outage didn't affect me at all. Plan ahead and get out and cache!

Stop complaining.

I got PQs for caching this weekend on Friday morning. Set up checklists and maps for Saturday and Sunday. Was out until dusk both days. Logging caches today. the outage didn't affect me at all. Plan ahead and get out and cache!

Good luck. I usually get yelled at for suggesting such things. :P

Stop complaining.

And what if the PQ problem had happened on Friday??????

Stop complaining.

And what if people stuck to the facts of the situation and stopped playing "what if" games?

Stop complaining.

And what if people stuck to the facts of the situation and stopped playing "what if" games?

I agree. He is the one who brought up the fact that he got his PQ's on Friday which has nothing to do with the fact that PQ's were not available on Sunday.

Edited by Tequila

The hazards of working for an outfit that supports a worldwide service serving ten's of thousands of users 24/7. Perhaps 100's of thousands, I do not know.

It is simply what is required, nothing more, nothing less.

Automated problem notification and remote problem resolution just come with the territory.

Edited by Team Cotati

Stop complaining.

Chances are that the level of preparedness for the unplanned and unexpected would be substantially lower.

I'm still not getting any PQ emails.

More information is needed to try and help you. There seem to be many issues lately with PQs and email. The two most common seem to be:

What browser are you using? And what version?

What email service?

More information is needed to try and help you. There seem to be many issues lately with PQs and email. The two most common seem to be:

What email service?

Seems to be working now.....thanks

What email service?

Seems to be working now.....thanks

My pleasure...that was easy. :blink:

I maintain an offline GSAK database because of issues like this.

How large of a geographic area does that database cover?

150 KM. 4,400 unfound caches. I can go out on a moment's notice regardless of the availability of the web site. And GSAK makes it very very simple to load all of them into my Oregon.

If I decide to cache beyond 150 km, I usually know in advance and run a PQ for that specific area.

I maintain an offline GSAK database because of issues like this.

How large of a geographic area does that database cover?

150 KM. 4,400 unfound caches. I can go out on a moment's notice regardless of the availability of the web site. And GSAK makes it very very simple to load all of them into my Oregon.

If I decide to cache beyond 150 km, I usually know in advance and run a PQ for that specific area.

Good... I'm not the only one... Course, I have Multiple DBs that Fluctuate quite a bit to make sure they stay Current. Each DB is its own State. Of course, living on a border town..

The Steaks

Good... I'm not the only one... Course, I have Multiple DBs that Fluctuate quite a bit to make sure they stay Current. Each DB is its own State. Of course, living on a border town..

The Steaks

My 150 Km range would take me into New York state which I don't visit very often. So I specify State/Province (Ontario) to eliminate them in my queries.

I use Date Placed as my selection criteria. It takes 10 PQ's to get out 150 km. I run the first 9 twice a week. The 10th (Caches placed since March 15th) runs daily. I have 2 copies of the first nine and 7 copies of the 10th. So each PQ runs once a week. About every 4 months I rebalance and recopy to move back up in the queue.

Took a bit of work to set it up initially but now, thanks to GSAK and its amazing macros, I can update my DB and Oregon with about six mouse clicks. :blink:

Am I the only one having trouble with PQ emails today? The last ones I ran before today (Apr 2-4) came through very quickly. Today I tried 3 and all of them generated, but no emails--except that one I screwed up and got "No Responses" and the "No Responses" email came right away. I fixed the problem and the PQ generated but no email. It has now been 2 to 6 hours and still no emails. I am getting all my other GS emails--CO logs, Watch List logs.