Email Server Down or very Backlogged

sawblade5

Well once again this evening it appears that I am not getting PQs I just sat up to get sent to my email box again. The PQs show they have ran but its not in gmail yet. I have further details form the last time this happened at: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=213327&hl=

I am posting this now to alert Email Server Downtime. I think the Emails are not getting sent out again. I hope OpinioNate or someone else gets on the issue soon.

I thought something was up because I was getting watchlist e-mail until about 7pm EST and it just stopped.

Also, the trackable mileage was auto updating and it appears to have stopped again today(Saturday). Probably all related to each other.

I just ran a test PQ and it arrived in lass than 10 minutes. It looks like its working fine from our end.

So you aren't going to notify anyone? I had 3 run and only two arrive over an hour ago.

And just ran two more for a trip and only one arrived.

PLEASE WAKE UP THE EMAIL SERVER PERSON

Thanks

My PQ ran almost 3 hours ago but nothing has arrived in email. I am using gmail and it has worked fine for months.

Something must be blocked.

Yeah, well Michael ran one and it worked so nobody is going to be notifed.

And I have a trip to go on, dang it!

:rolleyes:

I'm having problems on my end.

Last query arrived on 4/4 at 12:57

Last night and this morning I created a total 6 queries and they all ran (plus 2 other scheduled queries), but I've received no emails. I am receiving other, non-Groundspeak, email.

Hope it get's fixed soon, as I was about to take a trip as well.

For those aren't getting PQs, can you include the domain names of email addresses not getting them? Perhaps there's a provider-specific issue that might help debug this. For me:

@aol.com -- nothing being delivered

@gmail.com -- tried sending one PQ there and it arrived without problem

Not looking for a flamewar against certain providers...just trying to get more details that might help figure out the problem.

For those aren't getting PQs, can you include the domain names of email addresses not getting them? Perhaps there's a provider-specific issue that might help debug this. For me:

@aol.com -- nothing being delivered

@gmail.com -- tried sending one PQ there and it arrived without problem

Not looking for a flamewar against certain providers...just trying to get more details that might help figure out the problem.

It's not an email provider problem.

This is unacceptable for a paid service.

I ran two today (Sunday). Both say they were generated. Neither has arrived in my email yet.

First one was generated on 4/5/2009 12:11:19 AM

Second one was generated on 4/5/2009 5:38:18 AM

It's about 6:17AM PST here now... so it's been 6 hours since the 1st one and still no email.

Domain is delphiaconsulting.com

I checked spam filters - they were clean. I emailed the domain from another domain and it received email fine. So, I'm thinking it has to be geocaching.com's outbound service.

By the way, the first query was set up yesterday for today, it triggered fine (only 11 minutes after midnight), but no email.

I set up the 2nd one this morning and it ran about 5 minutes after I set it up.

Leads me to believe they are being triggered/running zippy fast - but email out is failing (at least for me).

That's bad news for me - I'm in FL vacationing today and had plans to take 4 friends out geocaching for the first time. All are interested. Now I can't download the caches in to GSAK and then my Nuvi - won't be able to show them a good experience at all :rolleyes:

Dezinr

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago and I contacted GC about it and they said not a problem on their end. Since it was only 1 PQ I was not to worried about it but today it is 3 PQ's. I received one. These are not scheduled PQ's but manually submitted PQ's. I gave up on scheduled PQ's over a year ago. I never received the one PQ from a couple of weeks ago so I don't have much hope I will receive the three from today. Unfortunately with the 5 PQ limit, I can not re-run them. Since one of these PQ's was to populate a new database I guess I will have to manually pull all the gpx fills and add them this way.

I'm not getting squat now. Not even forum notifications. And I switched to Gmail....

I ran a PQ this morning...nothing. It shows it ran. But my name isn't Michael...darn :rolleyes:

PS. I'd switch my e-mail address back to hotmail but I'm afraid I wouldn't get my validation e-mail...bummer. :anicute:

Edited by Shilo

I had 2 PQs run at 4:30 but still no e-mails. In the past: have the PQ been delivered, after the problem was fixed or dio I have to re-run the PQs?

wessjan

No. If it shows it ran on geocaching.com, it ran. It's just backlogged in their mail servers and will be sent to you when its fixed. BUT, the PQ will have info dated the time it ran and not when delivered to you. So if this takes 3 days to fix, your PQ info would be 3 days stale.

I just ran a test PQ and it arrived in lass than 10 minutes. It looks like its working fine from our end.

A brand new one I created, ran and was delivered as well. However when I 'activated' two saved PQs, they supposedly ran 20 minutes ago but no delivery email.

Edited by Allanon

I just ran a brand new PQ and it ran almost immediately and it has shown up in my email.

However, my regular Sunday PQ ran six hours ago and still has not shown up in my email.

So, something is definitely wrong at the GS end.

The good news is, if you still have PQ's left, you can run a new one and still be able to go caching.

The bad news is this happens way too frequently.

And the other bad news is that no one from GS has responded to this thread in HOURS!

8am, Sunday morning in Seattle. And nobody is manning the ship! OMG!

I'm a bit embarassed at this whinefest. So you didn't get your PQ.

Jamie

I had 4 PQ's set to run for Sunday. Two ran, one at 12:38:57AM, the other at 12:39:01AM, neither of which have come through in gmail. I un-checked the two that didn't run, made copies of them, and checked for Sunday. They were processed almost instantly at 8:23:43AM & 8:23:59AM respectively. Both showed up in gmail @ 8:23AM & 8:24AM respectively (corrected for the 3 hour time difference between west & east coast). SOMEthing is definitely wrong.

And the other bad news is that no one from GS has responded to this thread in HOURS!

Jamie

No whine from me, I did my test only for information purposes for Michael/GS.

As for being early and/or Sunday, most don't bother to think about that. I'm surprised Michael checked in...but maybe the 'frog signal' on the top of the Lilypad went out too... :rolleyes:

Jamie

Yea. You are right. It is not like weekends are their busy period for customer activity.

Jamie

Yea. You are right. It is not like weekends are their busy period for customer activity.

Maybe I'm in a low-churn area, but there's very, very little that I would get in a PQ run early Sunday morning that I wouldn't have gotten in that same PQ run Friday evening. Planning ahead - it's not that hard.

Jamie

Maybe I'm in a low-churn area, but there's very, very little that I would get in a PQ run early Sunday morning that I wouldn't have gotten in that same PQ run Friday evening. Planning ahead - it's not that hard.

I agree with you. However, if you go back and read all the other threads it is amazing how many apologists preach that we shouldn't be able to schedule PQ's. They think we should just run the PQ as we are heading out the door. Today is another example of why planning ahead and/or maintaining an offline data base just makes good sense.

Of course, now we will hear the apologists nonsense about stale data and caches that were archived 15 minutes after you ran your PQ. Ad nausea.

We ran 3 new PQs yesterday - all generated, none arrived.

We ran 2 new PQs today - one generated, one not, none arrived.

We've only received 6 geocaching emails - should have had 15 found logs and who knows what else is missing.

Our domain is ntlworld.com

Thankfully we ran some PQs last week, but obviously any new caches will be missing. :rolleyes:

This isn't the first time this has happened and judging from past experiences, don't tie yourself in knots waiting for an official response from GS. The most likely scenario is that come Monday, someone will jiggle the handle on the server and things will start working again but they won't chime in on this thread for updates.

Today is another example of why planning ahead and/or maintaining an offline data base just makes good sense.

Yep, except this is one of those rare instances where the instant PQ's are working while the scheduled ones are not. Usually, it's all or nothing as far as emails/notifications go.

Bruce

Jamie

Now imagine that noone speaks up about issues because it would be perceived as whining and GS just happily kicks their feet up on the desk, thinking everything is swimming right along. After all, the PQ's ARE being generated, just not emailed. Who's to say that GS wouldn't just assume that all PQ's were generated, emailed and the membership are all fed and happy?

People pay good money to use this service and have a reasonable expectation that it'll work when they need it to. If it doesn't work, bringing it up in this forum is exactly what should be done.

Bruce

I haven't received any Pocket Queries since Friday morning. I've been receiving instant notifications, but no PQ e-mails have made their way to my address, including the "My Finds."

On a side note, we've been having trouble with the Field Notes posting from the iPhone Geocaching 2.0 App.

Again? Dang! :rolleyes:

We haven't had a chance to go on a geocaching jaunt in ages. Hope to go early tomorrow. Ran a new pocket query this morning to prep for the trip and still nothing in email.

Membership "privledges" stink if I end up having to hand load the caches we hope to find.

That's what happened last time queries got gunked up...

We'll pitch in towards a new hampster to run the machine -or maybe we can upgrade to a guinea pig?