Re-used benchmark?

Shorelander

Hey. I was getting some bolts at a hardware store and stumbled upon this marker:

156e991a-22fa-4110-9618-8ba7019f6214.jpg

I was intrigued because AFAIK all the main state survey marks from 1969 made it into the NGS database, yet this one didn't get into my GPSr for my walk to meet my fiancee.

I get back home and today am uploading the pictures when I find out why: the mark is—or "is", rather—in the NGS database as TU0421. I say "is" because the present location of the disk (about N 21°17.317' W 157°48.620') is about a quarter mile from the listed coordinates and description. I'd been to the location indicated on the datasheet before, and came to the same conclusion as Etoa Nrish did in 2003—that the mark had probably been destroyed during construction.

But what about the mark that I did find? This isn't a database mistake—the description and coordinates match fine. The disk and lettering of the stamping are appropriate to those from 1969, and the stamping is quite clear, with no RESET or second date on it. What do you think happened here? An intentional recycling of a disk? An overzealous contractor?

Edited by Shorelander

No, it's not mistyped coordinates. Take a look at the placements:

703e101f-955e-4a24-8660-5ca72c22b1c7.jpg

Point A is the current location of the disk (on the NE side of the street); Point B is the listed coordinates (on the SW side of the street).

A source I found indicates that the Home was between Fourth and Fifth Streets, as does the mark's description. The description also indicates that the mark is on the SW side of the street, agreeing with the coordinates. No, both the description and the coordinates put the mark at Point B, while the disk is currently at Point A. Plus, it would require typing both the N and W coords wrong, not just getting one digit messed up.

Sounds to me like maybe a construction company, after disturbing it, stuck it back in wherever they were pouring concrete on the jobsite and hoped no one would notice. Oops.

No, I don't think so. Because if you continue up Waialae Ave you will see a string of survey marks in that series extending down to Kahala Mall, none of which are in the NGS database.

Hmm, how diligent are state highway/transportation departments (or their contractors) at reporting marks that they move or destroy? Do they even feel obligated when it is their mark/station? I've run across a few CADOT marks that have definitely been destroyed by a CalTrans project and there has been plenty of time to submit to the NGS but they haven't.