Geocaching log sheet roller

ki4byz

I have made a tool for rolling log sheets.

It is small and works very well,

I am looking to see if there is any interest in such a tool.

If the comments here are positive I will make up a batch and list them on eBay.

ki4byz

I have made a tool for rolling log sheets.

It is small and works very well,

I am looking to see if there is any interest in such a tool.

If the comments here are positive I will make up a batch and list them on eBay.

ki4byz

Or you could just show us how to make them and we'll make our own.

Jim

I made my own quilling tool, but it has a longer slot. I will even share how I made it.

Took 2 rivets and removed the wire in the middle. I laid the wires side by side and welded them together. Then I welded them to a small piece of round stock. On the other end of the round stock I welded a really small small washer. I put the new tool on the key ring with my geocaching pen. Easy as that.

Post them on ebay and see how it goes. If you have really good photos that show the tool then you might be successful. You are talking to the few geocachers that have a sickness. Very few of them will purchase anything they can make for themselves. I myself am like that.

I do see plenty of items selling on ebay that I make for myself. It gives me a certain satisfaction to make stuff myself. So don't let this discourage you much. There are roughly 2 million geocaching accounts and you have now received 5 responses. That is 0.00025% of geocaching accounts.

I used 2 pieces of stainless steel filler rod (welding rod). It comes in many different sizes. I get them at work. The pieces are too small to use so the welders throw them out. Use the smaller sizes. I cut one at 4” and 1 at 3.5”. Match up one end and the other will not match up. I used electrical tape and started to wrap it in the center out to the ends. On the matched ends leave enough room to slide a bison tube log in it. On the other end leave the ½” exposed to extract logs. You can make this any size you want. I have made these and have given them out to our local cachers. When I get feed back I will modify them and continue to hand them out.

Good luck on yours :rolleyes::anicute::laughing:

Edited by The finch farmers

If selling these doesn't pan out, it sounds like an amazing sig item!

I second this idea, a lot of people would love to find one and then to be able to use them you would be a local hero.

Then when you list them in Ebay you will be able to list them as a tool, a signature item and a geocaching piece of history :)

Joe

know what? I was a jackass to say that I would only look for the instructable. If you can make these (making them into signature items is a great idea) and make a few $$ out of it, great :) Sorry to come across as a curmudgeon in my post. I like to make things myself but if someone is more clever than I am and makes something I can't, then I might buy it....

Good luck!

The fastest and easiest quilling tool to make just uses a sewing needle with a long large eye (a cross stitch needle is great here). Stick the pointy (cross stitch needle not so pointy) end into a piece of dowel to make a handle and then use the snippy part of pliers or a dremel to take the top of the eye off leaving you with a fork. Secure the needle into the handle with glue.

To use place the end of the log into the split and roll the handle around, this will give you a nice tight log to stick back in the cache.

Alternatively plastic quilling tools are 20p at my local craft place.

The fastest and easiest quilling tool to make just uses a sewing needle with a long large eye (a cross stitch needle is great here). Stick the pointy (cross stitch needle not so pointy) end into a piece of dowel to make a handle and then use the snippy part of pliers or a dremel to take the top of the eye off leaving you with a fork. Secure the needle into the handle with glue.

To use place the end of the log into the split and roll the handle around, this will give you a nice tight log to stick back in the cache.

Alternatively plastic quilling tools are 20p at my local craft place.

Thanks for this one! I'm heading to the garage right now to make this one. One bonus element I thought of: drill a hole in the wood handle and put a keyring through it. Now it will go on your keyring!!!

I signed one of these micro logs the other day and the cache owner had thoughtfully broken the end off of a toothpick and glued it to the inside edge of the log. just the tiniest bit sticking out so it could all fit in the blinkie, and all you had to do was twirl it back up. Nice!

Now for the ironic; I signed it with my Space Pen®. Anyone remember what the Russians used in space?

know what? I was a jackass to say that I would only look for the instructable. If you can make these (making them into signature items is a great idea) and make a few $$ out of it, great :P Sorry to come across as a curmudgeon in my post. I like to make things myself but if someone is more clever than I am and makes something I can't, then I might buy it....

Good luck!

Wow.. you don't see this kind of humility in these pages very often. For that I thank you.

I use an old fashon "bobby pin". Just cut off about 1/4 inch so it comes together at the open end. I just carry a few in my change thingy. Works great. You can also make one out of a paper clip and bend it so the ends are together, but I like the bobby pin the best.

You can buy a quilling tool at Michael's and some other hobby stores for about $4 that works great.

I bought two of them there for about $2. I then fitted them with the caps from BIC pens.

I also have a roller that I made by epoxying two pieces of paperclip wire side-by-side into the cap of a bison tube. I carry that on my key ring along with a small Swiss Army knife that has a pair of tweezers that are great for removing the logs from nanos.

Both of those tools work very well. The quilling tool probably makes a tigher roll, but not by much.