Garmin 60CSx - Solar Energy Panel

raphabessa

And I tried using something very interesting here in my 60CSx GPS or other GPS and would like to share with everyone ... One of my major problems with the 60CSx is that sometimes I was in the middle of nowhere and had the battery, had no reservation and had no place close that sells batteries ... then began to seek a solution to this and find a way to use 60Csx working with solar energy ... so solar ...

I bought a small solar panel with embedded battery on eBay for a few crumbs of providing real 1000mA and 5.5V and I am using the GPS ... is perfect, never need batteries to use ... In addition to saving on battery you still help the planet ...

Panel I bought:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fits-For-Mobile-Digita...%3A1|240%3A1318

For someone who is doubting that works, I made a short video showing:

How long will the GPSr run on the panel battery? How long does it take to reach a full charge using the sun, under reasonable conditions? The product page says 10 to 15 hours - what is your experience?

I'd suggest packing an extra set of "just in case" batteries with you because :

1. You'd still need to remember to bring the solar panel battery with you.

2. You'd need to make sure it is recharged, or you may need to wait some hours until it recharged itself before you can use it. If you're lost at night, you'll have a long wait.

What's nice about it though is that it can recharge your cellphone as well. And the price seems reasonable if it works as advertised.

Or...if you live in the Northwest, where big groups of really thick Fir trees, rain, much cloud cover and apparantly, according to Twilight, Vampires hang out.

I applaud you for doing this, and maybe one day I will give it a shot. But I seem to carry enough batteries on me or in my vehicle to last a months or two worth of caching.

I think that the solar panel idea is great for charging cell phones on multi-day hikes or even a GPS when you have enough downtime to let the unit charge. But all in all, great idea, just not for my personal setup.

Take care