Why do people hate LPC's so much?

Is the presence of a view, wildlife, plants/flowers something that makes a cache "creative"?

I see creativity as a process, rather than a thing. Part of the cache placement process for me is selecting a location that I feel would appeal to folks with tastes similar to mine. This part of the process is dang near an art form, which I liken to nature photography. Any schmoo can take a picture in a swamp or in a national park, but it takes an artist to create works like those done by Clyde Butcher or Ansel Adams. For many of us, careful site selection is as much a part of creative cache building as typing the cache page or building the container.

So, to more properly address your question;

No, the mear presence of a view, wildlife, plants and/or flowers, in and of itself, would not be an indication of creativity, for me. However, the act of finding such a spot, recognizing it for what it is and placing a cache there so you can share it with others, is an indication of creativity. :blink:

Is the presence of a view, wildlife, plants/flowers something that makes a cache "creative"?

I see creativity as a process, rather than a thing. Part of the cache placement process for me is selecting a location that I feel would appeal to folks with tastes similar to mine. This part of the process is dang near an art form, which I liken to nature photography. Any schmoo can take a picture in a swamp or in a national park, but it takes an artist to create works like those done by Clyde Butcher or Ansel Adams. For many of us, careful site selection is as much a part of creative cache building as typing the cache page or building the container.

So, to more properly address your question;

No, the mear presence of a view, wildlife, plants and/or flowers, in and of itself, would not be an indication of creativity, for me. However, the act of finding such a spot, recognizing it for what it is and placing a cache there so you can share it with others, is an indication of creativity. :blink:

Very well said!

YIKES! I sure let the genie out of the bottle on this one.. Yes, I see it gets all kinds of replies.. both good and bad.

Yes, I agree they're not very creative.. Some, i've found were actually hard to hide. (the skirt was smaller than the container to fit under it.. Someone got the bright idea of buying one size of concrete bases, and smaller lamp post bases.. result, the contractor had to put a adapter plate between.. result, the bolts to the lamp post base nearly reached the skirt, resulting in a uneven skirt if the cache wasn't placed just right.

I've heard about police bulletins about Geocaching.. some find it whimsical, while other seem to take the "Destroy 1st, Inspect Later" approach. (read: Bomb Squad needs to justify their new robotic toy.)

But the intent, quick, easy.. And there seems to be a lot of them, despite the pundits who seem to detest them.

I thank everyone for their input.. It seems there are both fans an opponents of LPCs. As some have said, If it's numbers, ease of access, they're good.. Yes, they can get boring.. But for some, it really is the numbers they're after. Sorry to say, Especially the "FTF" hounds. (go out of their way to eb the first to find.)

As for the one who knew a cache was an LPC, and had an armed guard (In uniform) on the site, I can imagine you would've actually done them a favor, letting them know why all these people kept flocking to this one lamp post.. As I've mentioned in another thread, Being stealth isn't always good.. Especially when caught.. Be honest, and tell them why you're there, what you're looking for, and You'll gladly be gone and out of their hair, but warn them someone else is going to be doing the same. At least then, they won't shoot 1st, and ask later

Thanks, Stephen (gelfling6)

You would use the same methods that have been explained to you in previous threads. You know, those methods that you have stated that you will not use because you expect to blindly load your GPSr and head out, expecting to be amused by every cache you find while accepting no effort on your part to find your own fun.
Unless the cache page states that its an LPC I don't see how any of those methods can tell me for certain that it's an LPC. They will tell me that the possibility exists that it's an LPC, but the possibility also exists that it's an outstanding cache and one that I wouldn't want to miss.
This has all been hashed out in other threads.

The methods have been shown to weed out the vast majority of those caches that you state that you wouldn't like while only cleaving away a few of the ones that you state that you enjoy.

As you've stated in those threads, you don't want to make the extra effort that this would take to give yourself a higher probability of searching for caches that you would like. That is certainly your prerogative, but your unwillingness to help yourself doesn't strengthen your case against those caches that you don't like.

Edited by sbell111
You would use the same methods that have been explained to you in previous threads. You know, those methods that you have stated that you will not use because you expect to blindly load your GPSr and head out, expecting to be amused by every cache you find while accepting no effort on your part to find your own fun.
Unless the cache page states that its an LPC I don't see how any of those methods can tell me for certain that it's an LPC. They will tell me that the possibility exists that it's an LPC, but the possibility also exists that it's an outstanding cache and one that I wouldn't want to miss.
This has all been hashed out in other threads.

The methods have been shown to weed out the vast majority of those caches that you state that you wouldn't like while only cleaving away a few of the ones that you state that you enjoy.

As you've stated in those threads, you don't want to make the extra effort that this would take to give yourself a higher probability of searching for caches that you would like. That is certainly your prerogative, but your unwillingness to help yourself doesn't strengthen your case against those caches that you don't like.

Apparently briansnat believes that if you eliminated all the LPCs, a substantial number of the remaining geocaches hidden in parking lots would be outstanding. If he were to skip all caches hidden in parking lot just to avoid the LPCs he'd miss out on some outstanding caches. :blink:

If he were to skip all caches hidden in parking lot just to avoid the LPCs he'd miss out on some outstanding caches. :blink:

I want to second that this is true. Although I prefer caches out in nature and on trails by a wide margin, I have found some really really cool caches in parking lots... that I'm glad I didn't miss out on.

-Rozie

If he were to skip all caches hidden in parking lot just to avoid the LPCs he'd miss out on some outstanding caches. :blink:

I want to second that this is true. Although I prefer caches out in nature and on trails by a wide margin, I have found some really really cool caches in parking lots... that I'm glad I didn't miss out on.

-Rozie

Rozie, you're not helping. sbell is trying to make a point that it is very easy to avoid LPCs if you don't want to find them. Yes you may miss out on some really exceptionally cache. But how many of these are you going to miss. There really are not all that many great caches hidden in parking lots. If something is really that good it will hopefully show up on someone's favorite list and you could hunt that one special.

Hey, I've found some outstanding LPCs. Around Christmas last year I found one where I lifted up the lamppost cover and found a whole nativity scene with the Baby Jesus, Joseph, and Mary and donkeys and camels and wise men bearing the log. I posted a SBA as there is no place for religious agendas in geocaching :blink:

Having placed a few, I really cannot understand the hatred and name calling of "Lame" people give to

lamp-post skirt hidden caches. Aside from the paranoia "Oh-My-GOD! You'll Get Electrocuted!" rants,

why do people hate LPC's so much?

I placed a series of them, called "That Was Easy!", (all hidden near Staples stores, Naturally.

the reason I placed them like that.. Fast & Fun for Kids! Imagine the look on a youngster, when

they find their first geocache. But not making it so super difficult as to place tons of rocks on top,

high up in a tree they cannot reach it, inside a tree a good 5 miles into the woods.

The hard-core cachers are up in arms over Advanced Logging Requirements, Let them have their rant.

I want to know why some think LPC's are so bad?

Because like most micros, they are an embarrassment to the game of geocaching and humankind in general.

You can say that all you want, doesn't make it true.

So, are you saying that the method that others have said works fine doesn't work or that you never stated that you don't wish to do extra work to weed out caches that you don't like? Before you respond, please remember that the search function works.

Edited by sbell111

<insert wistful sigh>

You know, you'll don't appreciate what you've got over there. We don't have any (as far as I know) LPCs over here. I've never seen one. My heart has never felt the joy of uplifting a LP skirt... In fact, our lamp posts don't even have skirts.

However, just yesterday afternoon I spotted a LP on an old bridge and it had a "skirt" of thick ivy growing around the base of it. the view was pretty good too...

chepstow%20castle.jpg

What do you think? Should I go for it and place England's/Wales's first LPC?

(It's right on the border ;) )

MrsB

<insert wistful sigh>

You know, you'll don't appreciate what you've got over there. We don't have any (as far as I know) LPCs over here. I've never seen one. My heart has never felt the joy of uplifting a LP skirt... In fact, our lamp posts don't even have skirts.

However, just yesterday afternoon I spotted a LP on an old bridge and it had a "skirt" of thick ivy growing around the base of it. the view was pretty good too...

chepstow%20castle.jpg

(It's right on the border :D )

MrsB

Now there's a skirt I'd like to lift. ;)

<insert wistful sigh>

chepstow%20castle.jpg

(It's right on the border ;) )

MrsB

Why not, they could use a good dose of American culture.

Okay the question is “I want to know why some think LPC's are so bad?”, not why do you think LPC's are so bad.

When I first heard about geocaching these quotes seemed to sum up geocaching .

Rich the Bushwhacker

I started Geocaching to get back in the outdoors, not drive from store to store to sign little pieces of paper.

Clan Riffster

The motto of Groundspeak is, "The Language of Location". My personal caching aesthetics lean toward natural areas, however, I also enjoy unique spots and/or historic spots. My caching career was kind of blessed, in that, in my early days, all the caches I found were in natural/unique/historical/etc areas. This created in me a sense of expectation and entitlement, in that, this was what I honestly believed geocaching to be all about.

Kit Fox

Finding geocaches in scenic, interesting, and historical spots is fun for 100% of geocachers. LPCs aren't fun for all geocachers.

To me this made the location the number one thing and signing the log was just a formality. So I looked at a Virtual as the ultimate cache. Know we only have then because geocaching.com grandfathered them in.

So then people in my area used ALR to get the formality of signing the log out of the way and then have them go see scenic, interesting, or historical spots, where you could not put a cache. Know geocaching.com got rid of that.

So I think people don’t like LPC because these quotes seemed to sum up geocaching.com new philosophy of geocaching.

Flask

more people see them and think they're what geocaching should be about.

sbell111

Because they think geocaching is different than what it actually is (and always has been) and LPCs remind them that they are wrong?

buttaskotch

Answer: Because LPCs are not the way they want to play the game.

A lot of people out here feel that caches should be in parks and lead you to something, whether its .5 miles or 5 miles to the cache.

We all play the game differently, I personally think the ALRs being removed is a good thing, read about too many caches that had cockimany requirements that it sounded like it could get way out of hand.

Maybe those folks can start their own site: ALRcaching.com

So geocaching is now:

Number one Find the cache

Number two Sign the log

Number three return the cache.

(see it is all about the numbers)

If you’re looking for scenic, interesting, and or historical spots, they now want you to go to: http://www.Waymarking.com

Sorry buttaskotch there should be a space after:

The comments below are mine.

So geocaching is now:

Number two Sign the log

If you’re looking for scenic, interesting, and or historical spots, they now want you to go to: http://www.Waymarking.com

Personally, I like brocolli, some hate it but some who hate it eat Brussel Sprouts---you know who they are they are the ones who insist a cache must be in an ammo can, I like it with cheese, I really like brocolli and chicken from Chinese take out, I like brocolli with pasta--I just don't want to eat it exclusively, I don't mind the occassional, but if all there is is brocolli I would tire of it quickly. Oh, we are talking LPC's--same thing applies. ;)

While LPC saturation is quite tiring, I like the occasional lamppost hide.

Why?

Because they're easy, and I'm terrible at finding caches. I've probably DNF'd more caches than most people have found. Seriously, I DNF'd a cache recently after the previous finder had let his 3-year-old daughter find it (yes, it was still there).

So after a string of defeats, it's nice to have the occasional guarantee that I'll actually find one.

While LPC saturation is quite tiring, I like the occasional lamppost hide.

Why?

Because they're easy, and I'm terrible at finding caches. I've probably DNF'd more caches than most people have found. Seriously, I DNF'd a cache recently after the previous finder had let his 3-year-old daughter find it (yes, it was still there).

So after a string of defeats, it's nice to have the occasional guarantee that I'll actually find one.

I have you beat. I once DNF'd a standard lamp post hide. Twice.

This was after I had logged probably hundreds of them and I looked under the skirt both times.

Edited by sbell111

Okay the question is “I want to know why some think LPC's are so bad?”, not why do you think LPC's are so bad.

When I first heard about geocaching these quotes seemed to sum up geocaching .

Rich the Bushwhacker

I started Geocaching to get back in the outdoors, not drive from store to store to sign little pieces of paper.

Clan Riffster

The motto of Groundspeak is, "The Language of Location". My personal caching aesthetics lean toward natural areas, however, I also enjoy unique spots and/or historic spots. My caching career was kind of blessed, in that, in my early days, all the caches I found were in natural/unique/historical/etc areas. This created in me a sense of expectation and entitlement, in that, this was what I honestly believed geocaching to be all about.

Kit Fox

Finding geocaches in scenic, interesting, and historical spots is fun for 100% of geocachers. LPCs aren't fun for all geocachers.

To me this made the location the number one thing and signing the log was just a formality. So I looked at a Virtual as the ultimate cache. Know we only have then because geocaching.com grandfathered them in.

So then people in my area used ALR to get the formality of signing the log out of the way and then have them go see scenic, interesting, or historical spots, where you could not put a cache. Know geocaching.com got rid of that.

So I think people don’t like LPC because these quotes seemed to sum up geocaching.com new philosophy of geocaching.

Flask

more people see them and think they're what geocaching should be about.

buttaskotch

Answer: Because LPCs are not the way they want to play the game.

A lot of people out here feel that caches should be in parks and lead you to something, whether its .5 miles or 5 miles to the cache.

We all play the game differently, I personally think the ALRs being removed is a good thing, read about too many caches that had cockimany requirements that it sounded like it could get way out of hand.

So geocaching is now:

Number two Sign the log