Why do people hate LPC's so much?

Having placed a few, I really cannot understand the hatred and name calling of "Lame" people give to

lamp-post skirt hidden caches. Aside from the paranoia "Oh-My-GOD! You'll Get Electrocuted!" rants,

why do people hate LPC's so much?

I placed a series of them, called "That Was Easy!", (all hidden near Staples stores, Naturally.

the reason I placed them like that.. Fast & Fun for Kids! Imagine the look on a youngster, when

they find their first geocache. But not making it so super difficult as to place tons of rocks on top,

high up in a tree they cannot reach it, inside a tree a good 5 miles into the woods.

The hard-core cachers are up in arms over Advanced Logging Requirements, Let them have their rant.

I want to know why some think LPC's are so bad?

1. They tend to be placed in the most mundane places imaginable

2. They are incredibly unimaginative.

3. They are usually on private property without permission

4. In many areas there are all over the gosh darn place.

That sums it up for me.

I really got sick and tired of those things. They were generally uninspiring, uninventive, and simply boring. The only excitment about them at all was dodging muggles and guessing which light it was at as we drove into the parking lot. In a word, lame.

Then I got lame. Most of you heard about my accident so I won't go into that, but for over a year, those LPC's were about the only kind of caching I could do. If there had not been a supply of those going in around my home and my doctors' offices (and at points in between) I'd have been far more miserable than I already was. Now that I'm walking again and can get most T1.5 and some T2 caches, there are still those days when things don't feel right and an LPC is about all I can handle.

Moral of the story? Every type of cache has its place, its purpose, and its fans. <mantra> If you don't like 'em. Don't do 'em. </mantra>.

Having placed a few, I really cannot understand the hatred and name calling of "Lame" people give to

lamp-post skirt hidden caches. Aside from the paranoia "Oh-My-GOD! You'll Get Electrocuted!" rants,

I placed a series of them, called "That Was Easy!", (all hidden near Staples stores, Naturally.

the reason I placed them like that.. Fast & Fun for Kids! Imagine the look on a youngster, when

they find their first geocache. But not making it so super difficult as to place tons of rocks on top,

high up in a tree they cannot reach it, inside a tree a good 5 miles into the woods.

The hard-core cachers are up in arms over Advanced Logging Requirements, Let them have their rant.

I went to hunt for one outside a government building where there stood a military person in full camouflage...lifting up the skirt of a lamp post (or looking at electrical equipment, etc) was not in my best interests ;)

Its not really the LPC per se.

It is the lack of creativity. Unless that moist film can is at a Walmart next to a beach in Hawaii, then why are you bringing me here?

Most kids do not like micros. If they do, it is probably an older kid and they probably like the hunt more. I have seen small caches in skirts. The problem was it was within 6 feet of a permanent dumpster! ;)

I have an idea for an atypical and possibly slightly challenging LPC. Since I know i would not want to be lifting a skirt for more than a few seconds, i am not keen on placing my idea.

Cache owners love logs. Chances are a typcil LPC will generate a log of 20 words or so. You want to create a cache that people like so much they post a nice interesting log.

Dont hate the game, hate the playa.

That sums it up for me.

I geocache to get outdoors, to learn about history, geology, and nature.

I don't use geocaching to be a voyeur, and to look for "yet another parking lot I didn't know about. I would rather see waterfalls, bugs, wildflowers, and rocks. I don't want to see urban sprawl, asphalt, and deal with the general public (who don't understand our game.)

Most lamppost caches are beneath my standards of entertainment.

I've only found one lamppost cache I liked. It brought me to a cool location.

Granite & Water 2

49be6338-44aa-4628-8bda-56e987170e3b.jpg

Edited by Kit Fox

If you don't like LPC's then don't look for them. Could it be any more simple?

I don't like LPC's, and I make a concerted effort not to look for them. If I go after a cache and find that it's an LPC, I will generally leave immediately and seek out the next one on my list. However, that's not the point of the question. The OP asked why people don't like LPC's.

My reasons:

1) Most LPC's (and a lot of urban micros in general) tend to be uncreative, placed because a cache wasn't there, as opposed to placing one because it's a neat place.

2) Most LPC's are in places with metric cacheloads of muggles around, making stealth very tricky. Also, some are placed very near places that are manned most of the day (such as one 15 feet away from a drive-thru coffee shop in my area. You can't seek the cache without the baristas watching your every move).

3) Most LPC's are placed in parking lots of the local WalMart, Staples, Office Depot, Target, [insert big box store name here]^n. Once you've seen one big box store, you've seen them all, and there's nothing special about an expanse of asphalt signifying the demise of local culture.

4) Some LPC's contribute to "crap cache" saturation for an area. There are some parking lot caches that are neat hides, or neat containers, but they get pushed out or blocked from being hidden by lazy cachers placing LPC's.

I wish people would stop to think about the following: If an LPC is the only place to put a cache in an area, what does that say about the area? Is it a genuinely interesting area that just doesn't have anywhere else to put a cache, or is it the parking lot at Staples, with no value other than an expanse of ashpalt? Or, is there somewhere more creative you could place the cache in the same area?

The redeeming quality of urban micros in general (not necessarily LPC's) are that they offer a way for disabled cachers and others to hunt in a less-difficult environment. This is exactly why I agree with Wooden Cyclist in my outlook on the LPC. If you don't like them, don't hunt them. Leave them for people who do like them.

The other day I bought a box of Ding Dongs. The first one was great. I loved every bite. By the time I got to the twelfth I was sick of the dadgum things.

My first LPC was a masterful and unique hide. The next 200, lets just say that lamp posts tend to grace places in our concrete jungles with little to dignify their presence. Not even a snipped of truly nice architecture. They are what I call a technical hide. Unique the first time, perhaps a couple more times with a twist or two and then it's like solving the same crossword puzzle over and over.

It's not that I hate them. It's that almost everthing else out there is more fun. Now Kit Fox's photo would make for a good LPC. We would have stopped and played with the fountain for awhile and perhaps miss out on a couple of other caches while we did it. That said another kind of hide with a larger container...yeah, that would have been Icing on the cake, but that LPC id' not pass on.

Edited by Renegade Knight

The other day I bought a box of Ding Dongs. The first one was great. I loved every bite. By the time I got to the twelfth I was sick of the dadgum things.

My first LPC was a masterful and unique hide. The next 200, lets just say that lamp posts tend to grace places in our concrete jungles with little to dignify their presence. Not even a snipped of truly nice architecture. They are what I call a technical hide. Unique the first time, perhaps a couple more times with a twist or two and then it's like solving the crossword puzzle over and over.

Agree 100%!!!

I found one LPC and thought that it was neat and creative, so when I got home I placed one. I don't think there is another one within a couple of hours drive (possibly not even in the province!) so it is unique here. But my kids wouldn't enjoy them, once they got over the "Gee, who would have thought to hide it there", and truthfully, I would quickly tire of driving into a parking lot and following the arrow straight to a lamp pole, over and over.

No, that wouldn't stop me from logging it online - if I remembered.

Skisidedown

they're not bad in and of themselves.

what's bad about them is the growing trend in which they're becoming the norm. more people see them and think they're what geocaching should be about.

a few of these things on my way from somewhere to somewhere else is a fun and welcome diversion. a whole area littered with these things is an unwelcome watering down of the sport.

just parenthetically, if everyone's find count was hidden from view, how many LPCs do you think would get hidden? or found?

To each his own. I don't like hanging out in parking lots so I just don't do them.

I guess my other beef with them is when people use them for number pushers. I went for a multi this morning and spent 3 hours bushwhacking and still came out unsuccessful. It's frustrating to hear other cachers talk about how they did 30 or 40 caches in a day and that the majority were LPC types when I busted my butt for a single cache burning more calories on one stage of the cache than they did in their entire day. I'm happy if I get 2 or 3 caches on a 5+mile hike in a day.

I know a find is a find regardless of difficulty. For some people doing difficult caches is physically not possible so these types of caches have their place.

Just venting. Like I said, to each his own. Just don't spout off your numbers unless you did 30 caches on a hike with a terrain 3 or higher in a day. I'll gladly listen to you if you did that.

<snip>

just parenthetically, if everyone's find count was hidden from view, how many LPCs do you think would get hidden? or found?

That is an interesting statement, flask! Agreed.

Add to that, in my opinion, any unimaginative (lame) caches that are set out for the whole reason to increase a persons hide/find count. In other words, all that a particular set of caches placed out that was meant to add a ton of smileys in an afternoon/day and no other reason. Drive from one to another to find the same o' same o' just to increase your count.

I feel this goes hand-in-hand with this topic.

Quality. Not Quantity.

To each his own. I don't like hanging out in parking lots so I just don't do them.

I guess my other beef with them is when people use them for number pushers. I went for a multi this morning and spent 3 hours bushwhacking and still came out unsuccessful. It's frustrating to hear other cachers talk about how they did 30 or 40 caches in a day and that the majority were LPC types when I busted my butt for a single cache burning more calories on one stage of the cache than they did in their entire day. I'm happy if I get 2 or 3 caches on a 5+mile hike in a day.

I know a find is a find regardless of difficulty. For some people doing difficult caches is physically not possible so these types of caches have their place.

Just venting. Like I said, to each his own. Just don't spout off your numbers unless you did 30 caches on a hike with a terrain 3 or higher in a day. I'll gladly listen to you if you did that.

flaffle was posting at the same time. Well said!

they find their first geocache.

For me? Because 99.9% of them are placed on private property without permission, all while the reviewers look the other way, and hit "publish". Forgive me if you're one of the .1% who have permission, although I doubt it. ;)

Fun for Kids? My 9 yr. old does not like micros. He likes swag. No matter how seemingly lame the contents are, he'll find something in there.

Oh, and yes, I ignore them. All of them. I certainly Can't argue with "don't like them, don't find them".

For me I don't really like playing the stealth game and I'm generally too impatient to wait out muggles.

Briansnat, AngelWokf93 and Renegade Knight hit the key points that make it unappealing for me.

1) Most LPC's (and a lot of urban micros in general) tend to be uncreative, placed because a cache wasn't there, as opposed to placing one because it's a neat place.

2) Most LPC's are in places with metric cacheloads of muggles around, making stealth very tricky. Also, some are placed very near places that are manned most of the day (such as one 15 feet away from a drive-thru coffee shop in my area. You can't seek the cache without the baristas watching your every move).

3) Most LPC's are placed in parking lots of the local WalMart, Staples, Office Depot, Target, [insert big box store name here]^n. Once you've seen one big box store, you've seen them all, and there's nothing special about an expanse of asphalt signifying the demise of local culture.

4) Some LPC's contribute to "crap cache" saturation for an area. There are some parking lot caches that are neat hides, or neat containers, but they get pushed out or blocked from being hidden by lazy cachers placing LPC's.

My first LPC was a masterful and unique hide. The next 200, lets just say that lamp posts tend to grace places in our concrete jungles with little to dignify their presence. Not even a snipped of truly nice architecture. They are what I call a technical hide. Unique the first time, perhaps a couple more times with a twist or two and then it's like solving the same crossword puzzle over and over.

It's not that I hate them. It's that almost everthing else out there is more fun. Now Kit Fox's photo would make for a good LPC. We would have stopped and played with the fountain for awhile and perhaps miss out on a couple of other caches while we did it. That said another kind of hide with a larger container...yeah, that would have been Icing on the cake, but that LPC id' not pass on.

However, I never seem to get tired of finding a small container hidden in a hole at the bottom of a tree or a rotting log. Go figure.

I hate them because they're in the middle of a parking lot. I started Geocaching to get back in the outdoors, not drive from store to store to sign little pieces of paper.

Another reason I detest them is the turn off factor for new people to the sport. When my brother who lives a 1000 miles away bought a GPS, I asked him to try out Geocaching because it was fun. He found the first one brought him to a storm grate, the second brought him to a Light pole, and the third brought him to a private residence where someone had a cache on the porch. He emailed me back that it wasn't fun, he didn't find any trails or interesting spots. After that he never logged into his account again and gave it up.

It took me two years to get him to try it again. When I recently visited him, we drove down a road full of caches. They were all on strip mall row in the parking lots. We eventually found a few in the woods, but they were the rare exception in his area. He promised to try again, but he said he wouldn't try his local area as it was too hard to sort out all the parking lot trash.

As others have mentioned, it's not LPCs per se, it's uncreative caches in general, and too many micros, that I get tired of. The reason LPCs get picked on is because they are almost all very uncreative micros.

If a lamppost is the only reasonable hiding spot in a cool place, then go for it, but at least make it a container big enough to hold a travel bug. You can usually cram a "small" cache, rather than a micro/nano, under a lamppost skirt.

If you REALLY feel the need to hide a cache at your local Wal*Mart, at least do something unique with the container! Hide it inside a small rubber chicken, or something equally surprising.

I thought about fabricating a lamp post skirt that would match with the one on the post but would make it taller. Then I would hide an ammo can or a large lock-n-lock in there.

But I don't mind them, my daughter doesn't mind them either. I nick named her the lamp post kid because she knows that hide so well that I have a hard time keeping her in the car when I pull up to a lamp post.

One thing about geocaching is that I can go on a numbers run, or I can go on a long drive and hike for 1 or 2 caches. My relationship with hobbies is such that they need to be very dynamic because I can change interests on a dime.

When I am in the mood they are fine. When I am not then I don't look for them.

Sorry, but that doesn't answer the question! The OP didn't ask for your solution to lame micros (i.e. not going to them) but he did ask why we didn't like them.

Kids of all ages hate them. Only the numbers folks see any redeeming value to them. They are cheap, unimaginative and boring! I had rather use my metal detector in my own backyard looking for rusted nails than lifting lamp skirts! Unless you are numbers hungry, sooner or lated you will avoid most lame micros! :rolleyes:

I went to hunt for one outside a government building where there stood a military person in full camouflage...lifting up the skirt of a lamp post (or looking at electrical equipment, etc) was not in my best interests :rolleyes:

I'm more than a little curious as to how you knew that the cache was an LPC.

I often like LPCs. They are convenient caches to find while I am out and about.

This does not address the question stated in the OP "Why do people hate LPC's so much?, It's time to get it off your chest" Not that I'm saying you can't post to the thread or anything. :rolleyes:

I don't usually go after LPC's. The only two that I have done in my area, I did without a GPS, basically by accident, while shopping. For both caches, I was getting out of my car and remembered that there were caches placed somewhere in the parking lot. I kind of remembered, from briefly looking at the map a couple of weeks earlier, where they were in the parking lot. In both instances, I just walked up to the "suspected" LP, lifted the skirt, and there it was...Wow, that was hard. I looked around, took in the beautiful view of the parking lot, took some pics of the gorgeous scenery, traded some SWAG, and really felt that I accomplished something. Yeah right....LAME in my opinion!

Edited by Yeahoh

I often like LPCs. They are convenient caches to find while I am out and about.

This does not address the question stated in the OP "Why do people hate LPC's so much?, It's time to get it off your chest" Not that I'm saying you can't post to the thread or anything. :rolleyes:

Because they think geocaching is different than what it actually is (and always has been) and LPCs remind them that they are wrong?

Unless I misread the OP, the question was, (to the effect of), "Why do people dislike LPCs."

Not, "Please post the the lame cache hider's mantra"

So, to get on topic:

Why do I dislike LPCs?

A very generalized question, so I'll have to generalize my response a bit, knowing, as I do so, that there are sure to be exceptions.

As should be expected whenever a topic like this comes up, my responses are solely my personal, biased preferences, and should not be taken as anything other than one ol' fat cripple expressing his opinion. I freely acknowledge that said opinion is worth exactly what you pay for it, and not a shilling more. :laughing:

1 ) LPCs are typically hidden in uninspired locations. The motto of Groundspeak is, "The Language of Location". While it's certainly true that 500 acres of blistering , exhaust laden blacktop bristling with soccer mom driven SUVs technically qualifies as a "location", in your heart, do you think that's what they meant? My personal caching aesthetics lean toward natural areas, however, I also enjoy unique spots and/or historic spots. Wally World parking lots don't quite qualify.

2 ) I enjoy being challenged to the limit of my abilities, either physical, mental or spiritual. Remember the ol' fat crippled guy comment? I'm also dumber than a bag of hammers, so challenging me is not exactly difficult. :anicute: I have yet to see an LPC challenge me in any way. Even my first LPC find was a huge disappointment. My caching career was kind of blessed, in that, in my early days, all the caches I found were in natural/unique/historical/etc areas. This created in me a sense of expectation and entitlement, in that, this was what I honestly believed geocaching to be all about. Then one day I'm following my arrow and it leads to a parking lot. :rolleyes: What the heck? This can't be right. Why the heck would anybody bring me here? Maybe I fudged the coords... I dug out the corresponding cache page, (I was not paperless then), and kwickly realized that this was where I was supposed to be. (Sigh...) I held out hope. Maybe the hider somehow managed to find something unique here? A bit more travel had my arrow pointing at a lamp post, just like the other 500 lamp posts in the lot. Surely, I thought, no one would hide a cache here, in the middle of all this drivel. A kwick peek under the lamp post kilt proved me wrong.

3 ) Again, I must limit my responses to my own, personal aesthetics and observations. Typically, LPCs utilize inferior containers such as film canisters. Film canisters, (the black and grey ones), are not at all waterproof, and, as I live in a region with high humidity, these containers almost always have soggy logs inside of them. Somehow, many folks have acquired the belief that stuffing a slip of paper in a thin walled baggie will somehow cause it to be waterproof. I guess they've never gotten a paper cut. Once the baggie fails, (usually after 3 or 4 finds), we're back to square one. A container which is inadequate for its task.

4 ) LPCs personify the "cheap & easy" mindset, which I try so hard to avoid. The container is free, the placement requires absolutely no imagination or effort and the cache page usually reflects the cheap & easy principles of little thought or effort.

OK, I'll admit to enjoying LPC's... but certain conditions apply. That is I need to be on a business trip, in a far away town, with limited time on my hands, and be in meetings all daylight hours. This is when I truly "enjoy" an LPC.

They are often :rolleyes: well lit, take little-to-no time to find and, call me a numbers guy if you like, but it allows me to notch a find somewhere beyond the edges of my donut.

I have an LPC of my own, and as a number of posts in this thread allude to, I have tried to add a bit of humor and creativity. So when all you LPC critics come to Vancouver BC, give GC1F11Y a try.

Jollylolly

I only found 2 LPCes or maybe I only remember finding 2 LPCes because they are for the most part cookie cutter. There is very little difference between a film canister under a lamp post skirt in a WalMart parking lot in Seattle, San Diego or Honolulu. Trust me, I know. If I pull in to a parking lot looking for a micro sized cache and I am heading for a lamp post I just drive on by because I know what I will find there and there isn't anything around that I care to spend any time looking at.

Ammo can caches don't have that much going for them container wise. If you've seen one ammo can you've seen them all. But, what they do have that LPCes don't is swag and trackables. They also tend to either be in or near interesting locations more often than LPCes. There have been ammo cans that I have decided not to find but the number is much smaller than the LPCes that I have decided not to find.

LPCes do have their place in Geocaching but judging by the ones I have seen it isn't interesting container, interesting hide, swag, trackables, or interesting location.

Here's the ice cream analogy:

Soft serve ice cream comes in only two flavors, vanilla and chocolate, although some machines also let you swirl them together. Hand packed traditional ice cream comes in many flavors. Some ice cream manufacturers have really creative flavors with funny names. Even vanilla and chocolate hand packed ice cream are generally made with natural ingredients, not like that cheap soft serve.

Because soft serve is cheap and easy to serve you can find it in a lot of places. Fast food restaurants tend to serve only soft serve. And it is so cheap and easy to serve that you even find self-serve soft serve ice cream. On the other hand, hand packed ice cream is only served in the finer restaurants or at specialty ice cream parlors. It requires a freezer that can keep the ice cream at just the right temperature so it is not too hard and not too soft. The server has to use a special scoop to dish it out. Of course many people's budget or time means that they have to get soft serve because they can't afford to eat at a restaurant that serves hand packed.

Some ice cream aficionados look at the restaurants that serve soft serve and consider these beneath their standards. Only hand packed ice cream is good enough for them. The feel that people serving soft serve has degraded ice cream. And as more people eat only soft serve their is no longer a demand for decent hand packed ice cream, so it is harder to find.

I've noticed that recently, Baskin-Robins, who are known for their chain of ice cream parlors that serves 31 flavors of hand packed ice, are now offering soft-serve as well. This seems some what silly. Why would they want to undercut the sales of the good stuff by offering soft serve. Could it be that some of their customers actually prefer soft serve? :rolleyes:

I've noticed that recently, Baskin-Robins, who are known for their chain of ice cream parlors that serves 31 flavors of hand packed ice, are now offering soft-serve as well. This seems some what silly. Why would they want to undercut the sales of the good stuff by offering soft serve. Could it be that some of their customers actually prefer soft serve?

since when is baskin-robbins the good stuff?

Answer: Because LPCs are not the way they want to play the game.

A lot of people out here feel that caches should be in parks and lead you to something, whether its .5 miles or 5 miles to the cache.

We all play the game differently, I personally think the ALRs being removed is a good thing, read about too many caches that had cockimany requirements that it sounded like it could get way out of hand.

Maybe those folks can start their own site: ALRcaching.com :)

That sums it up for me.

I agree with mundane and unimaginative, but there are plenty of NON-LPCs that are on private property and equally mundane and unimaginative.

For those with children, handicapped, elderly I can see that it adds to the enjoyment of the game. For me personally, I like them when it gets particularly cold, or I get tired and need a quick pick me up.

That sums it up for me.

I agree with mundane and unimaginative, but there are plenty of NON-LPCs that are on private property and equally mundane and unimaginative.

For those with children, handicapped, elderly I can see that it adds to the enjoyment of the game. For me personally, I like them when it gets particularly cold, or I get tired and need a quick pick me up.

So kids, the disabled, and the elderly should be relegated to crappy caches in parking lots?

My kids love to go hiking, and they can't stand parking lot micros. My kids aren't the Playstation/Xbox type, I keep them outdoors, where I was when I was little.

That sums it up for me.

So kids, the disabled, and the elderly should be relegated to crappy caches in parking lots?

My kids love to go hiking, and they can't stand parking lot micros. My kids aren't the Playstation/Xbox type, I keep them outdoors, where I was when I was little.

Edited by tmitchh

That sums it up for me.

What he said...exactly.

Oh, and the owner will tell you to be stealthy, but actually lifting the skirt will usually send out an obnoxious screech that causes everyone within 100 yards to look your way, and dogs within a mile to start barking.

Just curious, how do you know its an LPC until you've wasted your time and gas to get there?

Iagree with mundane and unimaginative, but there are plenty of NON-LPCs that are on private property and equally mundane and unimaginative.

You'll get no argument from me on this point. However there seems to be some unwritten rule somewhere that says LPCs must be mundane and unimaginative. I don't recall finding one that wasn't.

For those with children, handicapped, elderly I can see that it adds to the enjoyment of the game.

I spent several months on crutches. My temporary handicap didn't suddenly cause me to get a great deal of enjoyment out of visiting Home Depot parking lots and lifting lamp post skirts.

The idea that those who are handicapped should be thrilled by mundane LPCs is incredibly patronizing. Some may enjoy them and some might want a little bit more out of the sport than flitting between strip malls and big box store parking lots

Get over yourselves people (no one in particular). Just because you think you have an opinion doesn't mean everyone, or anyone, wants to know what it is.

I believe the person who started this thread asked for opinions on the subject.

And by the way, if you are going to complain and want to be taken seriously by anyone, use the proper grammar and spelling. There is a difference between "to" and "too".

If you are going to criticize grammar and spelling of others, your grammar and spelling ought to be impeccable. There is no such word as "alot" and many grammarians consider starting a sentence with a conjunction to be poor form. If you want to be taken seriously as a pedant you should know this stuff.

Edited by briansnat

Then who cares??? If you don't like LPCs then again, don't get them.

I skip them, but i'm entitled to my opinion of them.

I travel alot and really rack up the numbers when I can get several LPCs in an area.

Good for you! :D

This is a hobby and fun for people. If you don't want to put any out for people, then don't. If you don't want to find them, then don't search.

Finding geocaches in scenic, interesting, and historical spots is fun for 100% of geocachers. LPCs aren't fun for all geocachers.

Get over yourselves people (no one in particular). Just because you think you have an opinion doesn't mean everyone, or anyone, wants to know what it is.

That is what the original poster requested didn't they? I want to know why some think LPC's are so bad?

Get out of the hobby if you don't like something. Otherwise, just keep quiet. So many times people complain or make their big opinions known are like people who are considering suicide. They make a big declaration about stopping geocaching because they are tired of parking lots or LPCs. They only do it so that they can get attention and have everyone say "don't leave" or "the hobby wouldn't be the same without you".

So, it is ok for you to label and stereotype geocachers whom have opinions different then yours? I think you're pompous, snarky, and you like to bloviate, but you're entitled to your opinion, just as we are entitled to ours. :)

Edited by Kit Fox

Just curious, how do you know its an LPC until you've wasted your time and gas to get there?

Iagree with mundane and unimaginative, but there are plenty of NON-LPCs that are on private property and equally mundane and unimaginative.

You'll get no argument from me on this point. However there seems to be some unwritten rule somewhere that says LPCs must be mundane and unimaginative. I don't recall finding one that wasn't.

For those with children, handicapped, elderly I can see that it adds to the enjoyment of the game.

I spent several months on crutches. My temporary handicap didn't suddenly cause me to get a great deal of enjoyment out of visiting Home Depot parking lots and lifting lamp post skirts.

The idea that those who are handicapped should be thrilled by mundane LPCs is incredibly patronizing. Some may enjoy them and some might want a little bit more out of the sport than flitting between strip malls and big box store parking lots

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the person who started this thread asked for opinions on the subject.

And by the way, if you are going to complain and want to be taken seriously by anyone, use the proper grammar and spelling. There is a difference between "to" and "too".

If you are going to criticize grammar and spelling of others, your grammar and spelling ought to be impeccable. There is no such word as "alot" and many grammarians consider starting a sentence with a conjunction to be poor form.

Judging from the many posts and geocache descriptions I have read over the past few years, not "a lot" of grammarians are geocachers. Yes, you are correct, "alot" is actually "a lot." You got me I forgot the space. Congrats. Oops, one word sentence, what will the grammarians think?

We all have our opinions. Some would suggest that I shouldn't respond again. However, the person who corrected my grammar could have also not responded but chose to (preposition).

Then who cares??? If you don't like LPCs then again, don't get them.

I skip them, but i'm entitled to my opinion of them.

I travel alot and really rack up the numbers when I can get several LPCs in an area.

Good for you! :D

This is a hobby and fun for people. If you don't want to put any out for people, then don't. If you don't want to find them, then don't search.

Finding geocaches in scenic, interesting, and historical spots is fun for 100% of geocachers. LPCs aren't fun for all geocachers.

That is what the original poster requested didn't they? I want to know why some think LPC's are so bad?

Get out of the hobby if you don't like something. Otherwise, just keep quiet. So many times people complain or make their big opinions known are like people who are considering suicide. They make a big declaration about stopping geocaching because they are tired of parking lots or LPCs. They only do it so that they can get attention and have everyone say "don't leave" or "the hobby wouldn't be the same without you".

So, it is ok for you to label and stereotype geocachers whom have opinions different then yours? I think you're pompous, snarky, and you like to bloviate, but you're entitled to your opinion, just as we are entitled to ours. :)

None of those words accurately describe me. Judging me from a single post? Sometimes I just like to stir the pot.

Perhaps you should consult some kids before you decide what is "fun" for them. Most kids I know, including my own, prefer caches large enough to have toys or other interesting items in them. LPCs are generally film cans, so I never hear, "Woo hoo!" when pulling up to one. It's always, "another light post...can we do something else?" Whenever we find an ammo can, regardless of how far we have to hike, I get a much better reaction from them.

Its not really the LPC per se.

It is the lack of creativity. Unless that moist film can is at a Walmart next to a beach in Hawaii, then why are you bringing me here?

Most kids do not like micros. If they do, it is probably an older kid and they probably like the hunt more. I have seen small caches in skirts. The problem was it was within 6 feet of a permanent dumpster! :)

I have an idea for an atypical and possibly slightly challenging LPC. Since I know i would not want to be lifting a skirt for more than a few seconds, i am not keen on placing my idea.

Cache owners love logs. Chances are a typcil LPC will generate a log of 20 words or so. You want to create a cache that people like so much they post a nice interesting log.

Dont hate the game, hate the playa.

Tell us your idea. If you get ridiculed, it is probably because the people that got to post first don't like them. It is really that simple. If you like it, go for it. Ihave seen some ideas that I would say were actually creative, even though it is in another wal-mart parking lot. P.S. I think most wal-mart parking lots are big enough for two hides. However, in the face of creativity, most should only have one hide in the same lot unless there is actually a good idea for it. If it is for the fisrst wal-mart ever built, or the oldest, or the 100th/500th/1,000th walmart ever built, that is also a good idea. HOwever, usually you really look for the creative ideas in the first place, before going out and placing them in order to avoid a lot of trouble and ridicule. Those are my comments on it. If anybody feels differently, let them post here using clean language and not saying something that is the same basically as the last five posts unless they actually have something like a useful different angle. Otherwise, save us the space on the hard drives around the world and the time we are spending reading these posts. Do unto others what you like others to do to you. Thaniks for reading this and I hope that this has made some difference in some way, to someone or something, or someplace. Thank you and have a great day. gwf :DB):lol::D

I've noticed that recently, Baskin-Robins, who are known for their chain of ice cream parlors that serves 31 flavors of hand packed ice, are now offering soft-serve as well. This seems some what silly. Why would they want to undercut the sales of the good stuff by offering soft serve. Could it be that some of their customers actually prefer soft serve?

since when is baskin-robbins the good stuff?

And what would you quote as the good stuff? gwf :)

I don't hate them, but find them boring. There have been two that I did find interesting, both with the container not being where expected. One had used a magnet so it was stuck to the underside of the "skirt". The other had enough room under the base of the lamp post to hide a micro underneath. So, it wasn't just a case of picking up the cover and "there it is".

I believe the person who started this thread asked for opinions on the subject.

If you are going to criticize grammar and spelling of others, your grammar and spelling ought to be impeccable. There is no such word as "alot" and many grammarians consider starting a sentence with a conjunction to be poor form. If you want to be taken seriously as a pedant you should know this stuff.

Too bad you can't do that to me. I try to go back and correct my spelling on as many logs and posts that I have done as possible. The only thing that might escape that notice occasionally is if I don't know how to spell a difficult word or something, because believe me I am a good speller, and I like to pride myself on spelling things correctly. However, not everyone is good at spelling so if you have a problem go and correct the spelling yourself and then put that it was edited for spelling and grammar so people won't complain. Thanks and I hope that this clears something up. And by the way, if anybody finds mistakes, they don't need to blab it all over the place unless they have an actual good reason. Thanks. gwf :)