Introducing myself ... and a question.

Hey folks.

First of all let me introduce myself by saying thank you for this site and all its helpful and knowledgeable members.

I have been using GPS since 1997 (Magellan GSC 100) and stuck with the name until 2007 when I decided to try the Garmin E-Trex Vista HCX. I loved it and would still have it had it not been stolen. Being GPS-less I decided to give the 400t a go. I plotted out a route on Mapsource and "sent to device", having checked the maps, way points and routes check boxes respectively. The routes and way points show up on the GPS for the two planned excursions, but only one of the two maps I sent along with the "send to device". I go through the SETTINGS/MAPS path only to find the TOPO 2008 map and ONE of the others I sent through are showing up. The third is missing. I have a 2GB Sandisk loaded into the unit, but nothing seems to be loading onto it. I even tried dragging the saved GPX and GDB files onto it but without result. My exported maps are still not showing up in the maps list. I know my E-Trex used to store several and the manual says the 400t is able to store "several" maps. Surely two maps isn't the limit and certainly can't be termed as "several"?

I've searched through Wiki, here and every other scrap i could find trying to find information pertaining to this issue but to no avail.

Any help or input on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

-BP

I beleive there are only 2-3 file names that the 400T will recognize. gmapsupp is the one created by mapsource, you are overwriting it when you send a second one.

* gmapbmap.img (typically the preloaded 300 base map)

* gmapprom.img (typically the preloaded 400 maps)

* gmapsupp.img (typically created by Mapsource)

Thank you for all your prompt repies gentlemen, they are very much appreciated.

Sorry I was not clear on the GPS in question: it's the Oregon 400t. I was unaware of the existence of a Colorado with the same model number.

@Redwoods

Each map with waypoints and routes are 2kb.

@Baumer

After making several test transfers of varying sizes I would tend to agree with you. The only difference I have noticed is with the gmapsupp.img as it changes in file size.

@ all

It seems you are quite correct. The only solution to this problem is to send all the maps at once. This is extremely disappointing. Being able to have the GPS load my custom maps from a card is a big deal. The only arena I see the Oregon outshining my Vista HCX is in the menu access. I'm considering returning the Oregon and getting another HCX. Although my wife may fight me on that as this is the only GPS I've owned where she has actually enjoyed using it.

-BP

The Vista HCX works in the same way. I'm still not getting the issue, but it's probably me.

Whenever you send maps to EITHER the card or the internal memory, it will clear what's on there and add on all the newly selected maps. To keep the original mapset you just need to include it in the new selections.

I tend to keep a huge chunk of City Navigator North America NT on the Oregon's internal memory, and use the card for topo / custom maps. So I only really worry about the card for trip-specific topo maps.. select new maps I need and stick them on the card.

You’re not alone Maingray. Bootprints, if you can tell us specifically what you want to do we can either tell you how to do it or tell you if you can’t do it. You can send as many different map types as you like with MapSend but they must be sent all at once as one gmapsupp.img file. You must then select which type map you want to show from the GPS setup. The Oregon 400t is only limited to 4GB map files and 4000 map segments but remember the preloaded topo map is already using up 429 map segments. This leaves you about 3571 map segments for supplemental (gmapsupp.img) maps.