Why do geocachers pass up travel bugs?

Highpointer

About 10 days ago, I dropped two travel bugs in two easy caches about 0.2 miles apart in Glendale, AZ. These caches are Rocky and back yard Target practice. Both caches are behind a large shopping center.

Since I have dropped these travel bugs in these caches, both of them have been visited frequently - one cache seven times, the other cache eight times. However, in none of these 15 total visits did a geocacher take a travel bug.

I firmly believe that geocachers should pick up every travel bug that they see in a cache and not let travel bugs languish in caches. I feel that travel bugs are fun and interesting to find, move, and track.

Therefore, why do so many geocachers ignore travel bugs in caches and fail to pick them up, thereby letting them languish in caches and increasing their chances of becoming lost?

Ken Akerman (a.k.a. Highpointer)

Edited by Highpointer

At one time, we wondered why nobody was picking up our TB & moving it along. We decided to go free it ourselves since nobody else was. Unfortunately, when we got there... it wasn't even in the cache. I hope somebody is enjoying their new cute doggy keychain. ;)

Since I have dropped these travel bugs in these caches, both of them have been visited frequently - one cache seven times, the other cache eight times. However, in none of these 15 total visits did a geocacher take a travel bug.

Unless those 15 logs state that they saw the TB but didn't take it, it may have been picked up but not logged yet. Or maybe they're still sitting there, waiting. Not everyone moves trackables and even those of us who do, not everyone picks up every TB they find. Personally, I set my limit at three trackables. Three is all I feel comfortable with as far as helping them on their missions, taking pictures, finding a good cache to drop them into, etc. and doing it timely. Once I hit my limit, I just do discovery logs on the rest.

Bruce

Leaving aside those who grab & don't log it...

I will usually pass on picking up a TB if:

1) It's very large (I've had a license plate in my inventory for a month now because I can't find a cache it'll fit into)

2) It's got a goal included with it, and I know there's nothing I can do to further it (I'm heading east and it needs to go west)

3) I don't see it in the cache (it's buried at the bottom and I just don't see it while rummaging through).

I firmly believe that geocachers should pick up every travel bug that they see in a cache and not let travel bugs languish in caches. I feel that travel bugs are fun and interesting to find, move, and track.

Therefore, why do so many geocachers ignore travel bugs in caches and fail to pick them up, thereby letting them languish in caches and increasing their chances of becoming lost?

Interesting choice of words.... :laughing:

Speaking from over 6 years of experience and a few thousand bugs moved as well as owning quite a few myself.....

As a mover of bugs, the worst thing about ALL travel bugs is their owners. Strictly speaking; the over expectant, unrealistic owners.

Let me tell you a story of just one owner I encountered:

I picked up 2 of his bugs in a cache. One had a totally messed up bug page and I helped the owner fix it via several emails. The other had a registration problem and I helped him contact Groundspeak to fix that error. Two weeks later I moved his bugs almost 400 miles after first logging them in and out of a cache closer to home to give them the extra mileage they deserved....

I got home from my trip and opened a nasty email from the owner about me not fulfilling his two TBs diverse missions and for not posting pictures. :unsure:B)

About 9 months later I happened upon one of this same owner's bugs in a cache. I discovered it commenting on its condition and left it there. I got another nasty email from the owner about NOT moving his bug and how it was my responsibility as a "good geocacher" to accomodate his bug. ;)

I forwarded all the previous helpful email back to him (gotta love gmail) and told him off point by point. I got another email back telling me what a jerk I was for pointing out what a jerk he was. :):blink:

I've had about 2 dozen similar exchanges with helicoptor hovering owner's who have unrealistic expectations. I've also had about a dozen run-ins with creepy third parties who enquire on bugs that don't even belong to them. Those emails get forwarded directly to the owners. I learned my lesson after the first creepy third party I responded to. :D

BTW- I like moving ALL tbs. Especially the BIIIIIG ones.

As others have said, goals are sometimes far too unrealistic. This is a mistake I've made in my short career, and will not make again.

One travel bug I picked up asked to be photographed next to sports cars. Well, not everyone has a sports car, so why pick it up if you can't do what it asks? Also, there's a feeling of responsibility associated with possessing a TB. You should really hold onto it no longer than a week, but if you're a busy person who can only cache once or twice a month, you'd rather not hog it when someone else could move it along.

But the biggest reason? Not everyone plans on traveling out of state/province/country. I found my first TB just before I was about to take a trip to my hometown, so that was a nice chance to hide it down there. Since then, as far as I know, it hasn't moved. The TB's goal was to see the rest of the country, but if people aren't going anywhere anytime soon...why bother?

Tommy Trojan nearly ruined travel bugs for me. His constant emails of harassment, put me over the edge. It got so bad that I actually found a group of fellow geocachers that avoided his travel bugs like the plague. He eventually geocided . :laughing:

I don't get to geocache as much as I want to, and this precludes me from picking up many trackables. The last thing I want is a helicopter parent emailing me to move their trackable because i've held it for a week or two. ;)

If I know I Won't be able to move it along in timely fashion, be able to pass it someone who will, or help it on it's gol, I'll just leave it there for another finder.

I'm getting to the point where I don't want to pick up trackables, because I don't want to be the last person to see them "alive". It's much worse with geocoins of course, but so often now it seems that a trackable will be logged into a cache, and then disappear into a black hole never to be seen again. Even though I do my part and log them in, I feel somehow responsible when the next online log says "no TBs or coins in cache" - and then I anxiously wait for it to eventually show up. It's such a relief when you read that the next cacher took the item, so you know it's not your "fault" when it disappears.

I'm getting to the point where I don't want to pick up trackables, because I don't want to be the last person to see them "alive". It's much worse with geocoins of course, but so often now it seems that a trackable will be logged into a cache, and then disappear into a black hole never to be seen again. Even though I do my part and log them in, I feel somehow responsible when the next online log says "no TBs or coins in cache" - and then I anxiously wait for it to eventually show up. It's such a relief when you read that the next cacher took the item, so you know it's not your "fault" when it disappears.

Well I appreciate you moving bugs and I certainly wouldn't lay blame on you for being last to move. In fact I don't think many would.

We know that bugs go missing and would prefer someone enjoy it before it is lost. I would rather see a good story and a nice photo and have it go missing than just sit there. And sitting there isn't any safer than the next cache.

Move Them Bugs! ;)

Leaving aside those who grab & don't log it...

I will usually pass on picking up a TB if:

1) It's very large (I've had a license plate in my inventory for a month now because I can't find a cache it'll fit into)

2) It's got a goal included with it, and I know there's nothing I can do to further it (I'm heading east and it needs to go west)

3) I don't see it in the cache (it's buried at the bottom and I just don't see it while rummaging through).

Well said. And then, sometimes I just don't feel like taking the traveler, or it doesn't appeal to me. Many coins and pathtags, for example, I will leave behind.

Travel bugs are a part of the game and should be grabbed and moved when possible, but only if the grabber intends on logging and moving them. I don't pay much attention to TB goals and figure any move on my part is better than languishing in a cache for a couple years. TBs are often ignored because cachers are in a hurry to get numbers and don't want to mess with them.

What I see frequently in peoples posts on the caches web log is that they don't have a TB to trade so they don't feel like they can move a TB. I'm amazed that so many people have this misconception that TBs and geocoins need to be traded like swag. My best guess is maybe they are learning this false idea from TB Prisons that restrict a trackables movements. :rolleyes:

I take everyone I can get and log it /move it no matter what.Tb's/geocoins are what makes it interesting. I look for caches with them and then take them to one that doesn't.I try not to keep

stacking TB/coins up in one cache.I personaly love moving them around.

I normally don't like messing with TB's or GC's and only will pick them up if I can really do something for them like take them from Florida to AZ. I usually don't even log that I saw them which my wife chews me out about.

My wife on the other hand loves them and does all sorts of thing to move them along and take photo's etc.

About 10 days ago, I dropped two travel bugs in two easy caches about 0.2 miles apart in Glendale, AZ. These caches are Rocky and back yard Target practice. Both caches are behind a large shopping center.

Good Question! that is my favorite part! :rolleyes:

i take them sometimes, but it is usually because i only find a cache large enough to deposit them every 30 or so caches that i find, that i do NOT pick them up. I fear i will be holding them for way to long. it seems that no one puts out big caches any more. hard to put a TB in an altoids contianer or a micro bug

i take them sometimes, but it is usually because i only find a cache large enough to deposit them every 30 or so caches that i find, that i do NOT pick them up. I fear i will be holding them for way to long. it seems that no one puts out big caches any more. hard to put a TB in an altoids contianer or a micro bug

You could run a Pocket Query and direct it to look for caches that are in Regular or Large containers. This excludes the micro and small containers and any cache you find from that list will be big enough to drop a bug into. Of course, if you pick up a bug and are hoping to drop it into a new cache on the same trip, this might not work as well. The PQ is more of an option if you find a bug, bring it home and then seek out a new cache to place it in.

Bruce

It took me a while to figure out that there was no expectation of trading one TB/coin for another. I just recently informed another local cacher I was out with that there was no expectation of trades.. I'm trying to always place caches that are large enough for at least a few geocoins. So far I am 2 for 2. I am currently considering a modified ammo can for a future hide. Unfortunately, its intended placement is both in a paid entry park, and depending on time of year, a bit of bushwacking away from parking.

The other thing to remember is that you don't have to find a new cache to drop a traveler.. I know one cache in an ammo can near my office that I can always log a note to, and drop of large travelers. And, I can always drop coins or TB's with small travelers into one of my caches near home.

I am a newbie to geocaching and found a cache today with a travel bug that wanted to go to another state. Since I haven't been able to look caches often, I passed it up. I do have a question however. Is it kosher to send the travel bug on an airliner with a friend to drop in a cache closer to its destination or mail it to someone who is closer to the destination the travel bug wants to go? I would certainly contact the owner of the bug to let them know what I planned doing.

I think mailing them defeats the purpose of moving from cache to cache.They are intended to make their way via geocachers.Myself I want mine to visit every cache and have as many people as possible log its journey and if it has a destination that is 2 states away but goes around the world to get there than that is even better.Like I said earlier I pick up all TB's and coins and move them along even if its not totally in the right direction.I will not place it in a cache that it has already been in though .

I think mailing them defeats the purpose of moving from cache to cache.They are intended to make their way via geocachers.Myself I want mine to visit every cache and have as many people as possible log its journey and if it has a destination that is 2 states away but goes around the world to get there than that is even better.Like I said earlier I pick up all TB's and coins and move them along even if its not totally in the right direction.I will not place it in a cache that it has already been in though .

That makes a lot of sense. Next time I head that direction I will pick it up and place it in another cache.

Thanks

I am a newbie to geocaching and found a cache today with a travel bug that wanted to go to another state. Since I haven't been able to look caches often, I passed it up. I do have a question however. Is it kosher to send the travel bug on an airliner with a friend to drop in a cache closer to its destination or mail it to someone who is closer to the destination the travel bug wants to go? I would certainly contact the owner of the bug to let them know what I planned doing.

Handing a bug off to a fellow cacher is fine. Giving it to someone who doesn't cache is definitely not a good idea. There is no guarantee they will find a cache once they get to wherever they are going.

Never snailmail a bug without getting the owner's permission first.

I do appreciate you asking!

Yeah, there's even a TB with a similar issue not far from my home. It has been in the cache since December 20, 2008 though the cache has been found several times since then. Whenever I get around to finding it, I might take it somewhere if I know a good place to drop it. There's one cache that I guess I can drop it off in a lot closer to my home just for the sake of it no longer sitting in the same cache for months.

Edited by DarthJustice

Yeah, there's even a TB with a similar issue not far from my home. It has been in the cache since December 20, 2008 though the cache has been found several times since then. Whenever I get around to finding it, I might take it somewhere if I know a good place to drop it. There's one cache that I guess I can drop it off in a lot closer to my home just for the sake of it no longer sitting in the same cache for months.

Did you read through the past logs on that cache? Did any of the latest finders indicate whether the TB was still in the cache? It might still be in the cache, or it might've been picked up and not properly logged out. I wish that was a rarity :unsure: Either way, it's worth the trip to retrieve the bug or to verify for the bug/cache owner that it's no longer in the cache it shows in.

Bruce

Did you read through the past logs on that cache? Did any of the latest finders indicate whether the TB was still in the cache? It might still be in the cache, or it might've been picked up and not properly logged out. I wish that was a rarity :unsure: Either way, it's worth the trip to retrieve the bug or to verify for the bug/cache owner that it's no longer in the cache it shows in.

Bruce

I actually did just that earlier today (checking the logs) and saw no mention of the TB. Someone mentioned getting a coin since its placement but no TB. So it very possibly has not been logged properly. I suppose the only way to know for sure short someone referencing it is to see for myself. And hopefully that will be relatively soon.

Good thread. When I was just starting GEOCACHING, I had the best intentions and grabbed lots of TBs. Unfortunately I found the responsibility level higher than expected. I'm still sitting on one having made several attempts to contact the owner due to a problem with the TB map online and the GOAL of the TB - didn't make sense so I was asking for clarification.

I now take a TB only if I am REALLY certain I'm going to commit to promptly moving it along. Also, I've gotten better at checking the inventory of caches that I'll be hunting so that I know ahead of time if there is a TB I can do justice... I have a 10 year old daughter who LOVES TBs... she often times talks me into grabbing one so she can see the travel map online (excellent geography learning tool, by the way), or if it's "cool" and she wants to bring it home to show mom.

Next step for me will be entering one into the wild on her behalf, though I am going to make sure she knows that the chance exists for it to "disappear".

One other comment... living in a rural area, it's sometimes difficult to have access to good spots to move TBs in the spirit of the TB goal... that makes it tougher to go out and make a grab without knowing for sure you can do it justice.

As a mover of bugs, the worst thing about ALL travel bugs is their owners. Strictly speaking; the over expectant, unrealistic owners.

Amen.

Expect them to get lost and move slowly, and you might be surprised. I love moving on trackables but sometimes I just can't be bothered.

Good luck with that! Some of us have already been turned off of picking up TBs and coins...owners who want to control their every move is a big issue for some. I've had and heard of owners contacting the cacher a day or two in and then continuing their contacts until the traveler is dropped...I don't like being harassed! Some put silly requirements on them which some like, some don't. Some people have no idea how to work a TB/coin. Some people have had a bad experience like losing a TB/coin.

Some people just don't feel like you and see them as fun!!

I tend to "discover" any that I see just to keep the tracking alive so the owner will have an update on the TB status. And if I find that there should have been a TB in there but wasn't I log that as well (at least in the GC log). Sometimes I even contact the owner to let them know so they can consider removing it from the inventory. Most of my caching is urban and TB's don't always fit in micros so I leave many behind since I don't know what is ahead. I have been known to revisit an old find just to move a geocoin or TB along that has sat there for a month. I feel like I'm doing my part. :laughing:

It's also possible that some folks don't realized what they are and don't carry swag to swap so they just sign the log an move on?

I pass them up only if they are either HUGE (I had one that took me forever to drop off, because it needed a gallon-sized cache) or if I am going the 'wrong' way (passed up one that wanted to go to Iceland from Chicago, and I was going the other way). I love looking them up and seeing their map. I have two right now that I just picked up in Chicago a couple of days ago, and will drop off very soon near my home in Oklahoma (one wants pictures, one wants temperatures). I am going to get some TBs for myself and not give them a destination, so they will be free to go wherever. . . .

When I first started caching I made the mistake of picking up two travel bugs on my first couple of runs. A short time after that I had a medical issue that landed me in the hospital. I didn't get back to caching for 6 months. During that time, both of the owners contacted me several times. Without wanting to go into the details of my personal issues with them, I just old them that I would move the bug along the next time I cached.

I finally did so on crutches, just to get these people off my backs!

One of the owners even told me he had put a curse on me! Over a stupid little owl on a keychain. Seriously, people, get a life.

So now, I pass them up unless I know I'm going down the road to another cash I can drop it in or if it belongs to a cacher I know.

You put the travel bugs out there in the universe and then let them go, you should not expect other cachers to obey the TB owner's every command. Geocaching is just a hobby for most of us.

Please remember that travel bugs are usually just little pieces of colorful plastic with negligible value attached to a little metal tag. Don't pin your hopes, dreams, moods, health and future well-being on them.

There, I feel better. Rant over.

Without wanting to go into the details of my personal issues with them, I just old them that I would move the bug along the next time I cached.

If I had been one of the bug owners I would had made an offer of assistance to take them off your hands.

(And this goes for everyone) If you ever find yourself in a situation that you won't be able to drop the bugs for a while just let the community know. No explanations needed. There are plenty of people who would be happy to take handoff, even if it's through the mail.

Either broadcast the request to the world at large or find one cacher you feel comfortable communicating with. They don't even have to be local to you.

Without wanting to go into the details of my personal issues with them, I just old them that I would move the bug along the next time I cached.

If I had been one of the bug owners I would had made an offer of assistance to take them off your hands.

(And this goes for everyone) If you ever find yourself in a situation that you won't be able to drop the bugs for a while just let the community know. No explanations needed. There are plenty of people who would be happy to take handoff, even if it's through the mail.

Either broadcast the request to the world at large or find one cacher you feel comfortable communicating with. They don't even have to be local to you.

I just ventured into the world of travel bugs by finding one in a cache and deciding I needed to learn about them. I did post that I found it, logged it, and per chance was able to put in into a different cache in a far location, two hours away. I wonder if some like me don't know how it works and are shy about learning as they don't want to feel foolish for not knowing. The instructions are very good for new folks like me. Maybe it should be pointed out to people in the weekly e-mail to read about them. Or reread if some forgot. Use it as a reminder that hey, these things are out there. It does take more time but I'm not hurrying to get big numbers, just looking when it's convenient. I'm not competing against anyone. Also at meetings it could be a topic, how they work, any questions, any problems, like that.

I'm getting to the point where I don't want to pick up trackables, because I don't want to be the last person to see them "alive".

Ahuh - I feel similar and I haven't even started yet :unsure:

I've read many logs and noticed a few MIA TBs and Geocoins - and yep I thought ohh the last logger saying they'd found the trackable must still have it.

Then I read what a muggle was! :yikes:

The answers here have been helpful. We have a few TBs to send forth as a novelty. So we'll keep them compact to move around small caches; and won't set unrealistic goals. If they move anywhere - its an entertainment bonus.

If trackables go missing in action I can imagine young children being upset, but adults should set the example that getting out into the environment is the true value of involvement. It's been nice to read descriptions of beaut places in people's logs, and thanks to those who also add photos.

So now, I pass them up unless I know I'm going down the road to another cash I can drop it in or if it belongs to a cacher I know.

Please don't avoid TBs because of these odd people.

Us nice people :yikes: 'appreciate' others moving TBs for us when its convenient - not when we prefer.

I think its very admirable to have hobbled to a cache to pass it on.

Me? Under such duress...I would have tossed it in a bin and emailed the coordinates of the landfill to the owner. Shock can snap people out of hysterical states :unsure:

I've passed up travel bugs because at first I wasn't sure what they were. Now I pass them up because when I come across them in the field I don't know what their goal is. I've read more stuff on this topic (this thread included) that has explained things better for me.

I've started to "watch" a few travel bugs in my area that have goals to get across country to California. I figured when I go to California in a couple of months I can then go to wherever the travel bugs are and pick them up and take them with me. Is that an acceptable way to move travel bugs?

I've passed up travel bugs because at first I wasn't sure what they were. Now I pass them up because when I come across them in the field I don't know what their goal is. I've read more stuff on this topic (this thread included) that has explained things better for me.

I've started to "watch" a few travel bugs in my area that have goals to get across country to California. I figured when I go to California in a couple of months I can then go to wherever the travel bugs are and pick them up and take them with me. Is that an acceptable way to move travel bugs?

Yes it's acceptable. Keep in mind you don't have to fully complete a goal to assist a bug. Even small jumps help. Most of the time people are happy just to see their bug picked up and moved somewhere.

One things about meeting a goal, and most of the time this isn't a concern, but if you are moving a bug a great distance check to see how long it has been out in the field. If it's only been in a couple caches the owner might not want to see the goal reached so quickly. Not a common issue but not unheard of either. When in doubt just check with the owner.

Rant

I pass up travel bugs because virtualy all of them have borring goals. Travel to lots of caches? Come on! The only one that I have seen other than my own with a different goal, I could not help with, so passed it up.

That said, I do pick up travel bugs sometimes even though they have borring goals. But I very often leave them.