Etrex fades off - How do I get it to work properly again?

The screen on my Etrex Venture HC fades away frequently. :lol: After that, it is off and I can turn it back on, only to have it do the same thing a few minutes later. This even happens when it is connected to the computer. I would like to know:

What causes it

How I fix it

Edited by GeoBigDawg

The screen on my Etrex Venture HC fades away frequently. :lol: After that, it is off and I can turn it back on, only to have it do the same thing a few minutes later. This even happens when it is connected to the computer. I would like to know:

What causes it

How I fix it

This is probably a stupid question, but have you asked Garmin support about the problem?

I've always had great support from Garmin.

My 60csx also was doing something like this and was fixed by the last firmware update.

There was also an issue with the E-Trex line that the battery contacts would not make good contact with the batteries. Garmin fixed it by putting fairly rigid foam under the spring contacts. (Density of a styrofoam cup but not as brittle)

Try just stretching out the flat springs a little bit and clean them up with a pencil eraser.

I had the same problem with my etrex Vista CX after having the batteries completely die out. Was about ready to sent the unit back to Garmin when I found a post on another forum that explained that in some cases if the unit is on and the batteries complete die the unit's processor is placed into a power off loop, where the screen fades shortly after power up.

The solution was to make sure you have fresh batteries in the unit, turn the unit on and as soon as the first screen appear press and hold the power button until the unit turns off. This should clear the loop the unit processor is in. I tried it on my Vista and it has worked fine ever since.

P.S. I've also had to do this with my 60CSX when the batteries died before I could shut the unit off properly.

Both the Vista and 60CSX had the latest firmware available at the time this happened.