PN-20 Public Beta 1.6

For those that have a PN-20, check out the Public Beta

Hello:

DeLorme is pleased to announce that the Public Beta of the PN-20 1.6 firmware update is now available for download.

-New Features/Fixes:

-Geocaching support:

-Added graphics to the Geocache Comment page which indicate Size, Difficulty and Terrain.

-Moved the Hint to the bottom of the Comment for Geocaches sent from the Send to GPS Plugin.

-Added a new Geocaching page, which separates Geocaches from Waypoints. This page allows you to sort Geocaches by Name/Distance/Logged/Not Logged.

-Added new Geocaching Symbols to match those used by Geocaching.com.

-Field Notes support allows you to create field notes directly on the PN-20, which can then be uploaded through your account at www.geocaching.com.

-Geocaching wizard steps you through the process of Routing to a Geocache, Logging your Geocache find, Entering a Field Note then moving on to the next Geocache you want to find (closest, or selected from the list).

Known Issues

- Improvement of the comment character limit for geocaches is still under development. The current limit is 800 characters.

Important Note: The Earthmate PN-20 1.6 firmware update is beta software. DeLorme does not guarantee that the included enhancements and fixes are complete. DeLorme does not guarantee that the Earthmate PN-20 will function as advertised while using beta software. No Earthmate PN-20 software technical support is available while using beta software. You may revert your Earthmate PN-20 to its original firmware version by following the instructions below.

Instructions for Updating the

Instructions for updating firmware:

1. Save the PN-20_1.6_Beta.zip file from this Forum post to your desktop

2. Unzip the file, and save the .exe file (PN-20_1.6_Beta.exe) to your desktop

3. Connect your PN-20 to your computer

4. Double-click PN-20_1.6_Beta.exe

5. Follow the instructions presented in the utility to completely the update process.

*Please note* Once installed, the updater can also be found by going to Start>Programs>DeLorme>PN-20 Updater.

If you choose to revert your device back to an earlier firmware (such as 1.5), follow the steps below:

1. Remove the existing updater firmware on your computer by going to Add/Remove Programs and looking for DeLorme Earthmate GPS PN-20 Update.

2. Download the latest release firmware at http://delorme.com/support/supporttemplate.aspx?id=416 and save to your desktop.

3. Plug in your PN-20

4. Double-click the Firmware Update executable icon on your desktop.

5. Text in the updater will indicate that no update is necessary for the firmware - right-click in the Title Bar of the update application window and choose Force PN-20 Update.

6. When the update completes, click the Finish button. You will now be back to fw 1.5.

VERY IMPORTANT - for the proper symbols to be sent by default to the PN-20, you must download and install (with no browser windows running) the newest version of the Send to GPS plugin attached to this post. If you are using an earlier version of the plugin, it will not properly identify the correct geocaching symbols on the device even with the 1.6 beta firmware. There is a zip file containing a setup for both PCs and Macs - make sure to download the appropriate one.

Please note: you must be logged in to the forum to see and access the firmware download.

If you experience any problems with the 1.6_Beta or the latest version of the Send to GPS plugin, please reply directly to this topic.

I just did the 1.6 beta and loaded 50 caches in (only took 3 beers!) I wanted a backup unit for my boat and figured I would try out Delrome before I spent 300-400+$$$$ on one I didn't like. After just 3 days with the PN-20 I have to say I'm a believer. I still haven't used any of the $140.00 of free map down loads yet. If the PN-40 is better it must be awsome. Oh yeah I have had GPS's for over 10 years and just bought a Legend HC for the wife before this (for $50.00 more) sigh.

I just loaded this update into my PN-20, and it has some kick-butt features for geocaching. However, I have some questions.

I loaded my .gpx files into Topo7 for transfer to the GPSr. I also used the "Send to GPS" button on the cache pages to send some others for comparison's sake. They do not turn out the same. The ones I used Topo7 for only have the standard treasure chest icon and do not have the cache ID, size, difficulty, terrain, inventory, or log entries like the ones I loaded using the "Send to GPS" button. Also, when I loaded a cache I had already found using the "Send to GPS" button, it loaded it as one I hadn't found yet.

What gives? Is there a way to make Topo7 load them in the new format that 1.6 now supports? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

'Goose

p.s. Someone with a contact at GC.com might want to have them update their "Field Notes" page. It only mentions the PN-40 as being able to do it. With this update, the PN-20 is capable as well.

Edited by DatCrazyMongoose

I just loaded this update into my PN-20, and it has some kick-butt features for geocaching. However, I have some questions.

I loaded my .gpx files into Topo7 for transfer to the GPSr. I also used the "Send to GPS" button on the cache pages to send some others for comparison's sake. They do not turn out the same. The ones I used Topo7 for only have the standard treasure chest icon and do not have the cache ID, size, difficulty, terrain, inventory, or log entries like the ones I loaded using the "Send to GPS" button. Also, when I loaded a cache I had already found using the "Send to GPS" button, it loaded it as one I hadn't found yet.

What gives? Is there a way to make Topo7 load them in the new format that 1.6 now supports? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

'Goose

Replied to ya over <----

http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?p=111729#111729

Darn you ben! You beat me to it! IMHO, this update now solidifies the PN-20s position as the best handheld GPSr you can get for geocaching under a buck-fitty! (That's $150 if I confused you). :laughing:

bdev, your patience has been rewarded! :unsure:

You mean my impatience? ;) LOL. I am glad I decided to keep this unit. After the update, its everything I could want in a GPSr for geocaching.

So psyched!

I'd been warbling between getting the Garmin Vista or Legend HCX and the Delorme PN-20.

I decided to order the PN-20 Wednesday night, crossing my fingers that the update would come out before summer, but ready to use it even without it. They supposedly shipped my unit Yesterday (Friday) for arrival around Wednesday, so I am so happy the update is out!

Can't wait!

Got it in and the updates and plugin installed.

A bit disappointing that the "Send to GPS" button/plugin is crippled in that you don't get the cache description/hint unless you are a premium member, instead you get an ad to become a premmie. Funny how that is not mentioned as a Premmie Benefit on the membership page.

Aside from that, everything seems to work.

Since I have an iPhone, I can log in anyways to check the description/hint and even log my finds from the field.

I'll become a Premmie myself one of these days, but just disappointed in the way that was handled.