Your opinions on a "piggybacking" TB.

Castle Mischief

We had tossed around the idea of releasing a "piggybacking" travel bug that would have the mission of (temporarilly) physically attaching itself to another travel bug and travel in unison to the next cache were it would then (in theory) re-attach itself to another TB and travel along with it. Kind of like a TB remora or cocklebur.

I've hesitated in releasing such a bug due to the negative reactions I've seen to groups or cache owners that tag or label bugs as they pass them along, altering them from their released state.

Your thoughts?

We had tossed around the idea of releasing a "piggybacking" travel bug that would have the mission of (temporarilly) physically attaching itself to another travel bug and travel in unison to the next cache were it would then (in theory) re-attach itself to another TB and travel along with it. Kind of like a TB remora or cocklebur.

I've hesitated in releasing such a bug due to the negative reactions I've seen to groups or cache owners that tag or label bugs as they pass them along, altering them from their released state.

Your thoughts?

Well at first I thought "Grrrrrr..." Then I read temporary and now am thinking ;) .

I guess I'll have to be in the minority here because I say if it's not your TB you have no right to have your TB attached to it. I wholeheartedly agree with Eartha on this one!

If you want to have a TB latch onto another TB then maybe try releasing 2 different TBs of yours from 2 different locations (maybe one on the East coast and one on the West coast) with a goal to meet up somewhere down the line and latch onto each other and then travel back to you or to some other location that you find appealing. That way you get to kind of do what you want without imposing on somebody elses TB and maybe having hard feelings.

That's my 2 cents. Good luck! :)

If you want your TB to travel with a pal, why don't you give it a mission to carry other TB's? Let Tootles have a mission to visit specific places (every state, national park, etc) and have him/her offer to give another TB a ride.

Would that work for you and Tootles?

As a TB owner, I wouldn't mind your TB hitching a ride. I really like the idea.

However, as Eartha has pointed out, you don't know what every TB owner would think. You'd have to be very careful to state in the mission that if a cacher wants to attach it to another bug, that that cacher has to contact the other bug's owner for permission FIRST.

That would, however, be no guarantee that these instructions would be followed. : (

No one should be attaching anything to another person's Trackable item, without first asking if they mind if you do so.

The key word is temporarily. Like has been suggested using a carabiner or some other non-restrictive, loose fitting attachment device. The "host" continues on its mission and at some point down the road the two bugs go their separate ways (forever wondering about what might have been... *sniff*)

But I respect your firm stance on the attachment of tags and other such kibble that detract from the released state of the bug and I expect that there are other bug owners that feel the same way- which I why I sent out feelers before releasing such a bug.

Attach it to one of mine and let 'er go!

I personally dont mind, but other bug owners may have a problem with it. You could put on your bug's page, to ask the current holder to get permission from the owner of the bug they attach it to. That would probably only work if they had another bug in their posession though. In the field, that would be a problem.

I'd be happy about a piggyback TB being attached to any of my TBs, as long as it was a temporary thing.

I love the idea of the Travel Bug blanket TB - and it's got a great mileage on it. :D

It wouldn't bother me in the least if someone put my TB in a temporary blanket/scarf/hat TB for a while, I think it's a nice variation on the TB theme, but I can appreciate that other owners might not be pleased about it.

MrsB :D

I wouldn't have a problem with a TB attaching itself to mine, for one hop or longer, as long as however it is attached doesn't damage my TB or hitchhiker. Of course, some Tbs would lend themselves more to giving a "piggy back"; for example, I just released two TBs, one for each of my twins. It would be great if they could give a "piggy back" to a child's toy or similar!

We've had pretty good luck with the Swarm of Bugs:

Having almost had to pay excess baggage to bring this back to Europe :anibad: I'm disappointed to see that it seems to have apparently got lost in an event. :laughing: Hopefully it's at the bottom of someone's caching bag, slowing them down on the trail...