Remote Caching

CondorTrax

FYI

Received this the other day from a cacher outside of our area. I've hidden the name and his state.

Not sure how you guys feel about this but it sorta waters down the caching experience.

----------------------

Hey fellow cacher,

My name is (HIDDEN), and I really enjoy caching. I would love to find a cache in all 50 states, but I don't have the resources to travel the country, so I'm getting creative. I'm wondering if you'd like to team up for a day. Here's what I propose:

You go find a cache nearby, take a picture or two, sign in for us both, and send me the pics, and GC numbers (if there are any tb's - bonus!!!)

I'll do the same in (HIDDEN), and send you all the info. Then we can each log both finds, through our virtual caching partnership.

I would really like to try this, so please let me know if you're interested, Thanks, (HIDDEN)

FYI

Received this the other day from a cacher outside of our area. I've hidden the name and his state.

Not sure how you guys feel about this but it sorta waters down the caching experience.

----------------------

Hey fellow cacher,

My name is (HIDDEN), and I really enjoy caching. I would love to find a cache in all 50 states, but I don't have the resources to travel the country, so I'm getting creative. I'm wondering if you'd like to team up for a day. Here's what I propose:

You go find a cache nearby, take a picture or two, sign in for us both, and send me the pics, and GC numbers (if there are any tb's - bonus!!!)

I'll do the same in (HIDDEN), and send you all the info. Then we can each log both finds, through our virtual caching partnership.

I would really like to try this, so please let me know if you're interested, Thanks, (HIDDEN)

This usually referred to as Cheating... :lol:

WHAT?? You have to be kidding! What fun is there in that?

I climb "Secret Spot" knees shaking with mental coaching secretly going on in my head.

How do I email the experience.

Yesterday I saw a HUGE Horn Owl flying near GZ at a cache, I'm beside myself in excitement see an Owl in the wild - geocaching at it FINEST!

How do I email the experience?

I find each stage in "Who's Watching You!!!!" with all the waves of emotions experienced?

I go cache fishing at "Downtown/Main Street USA: Scotch Plains, NJ" with fishing gear from a 24/7 tackle shop?

I sort through "Decoys Are For The Birds" looking for the real cache.

I find a surprise at "Rook in the Reeds".

I explore a real BAT cave with my wife and kids at "A Mine is a Terrible Thing"

How do I email the PRICELESS experience?

I can't and I wouldn't - PERIOD! These are treasures that I personally experienced. A virtual smiley is not even close to experiencing the real deal!

MaitreMind

Well, there have always been cheaters persons using alternative methods for logging caches that they have not actually found. Arm chair cachers, for one. And we've had a few cachers who've gone through the area, and logged caches that they've never signed. (Including the twenty mile u-turn on the interstate, and driving the rig down a poorly maintained, unplowed road during a major snowstorm.)

One of my favorites was: icon_smile.gif September 11, 2008 by 'Hundreds of miles away'(45 found) Found it via webcam conference with my friend 'deleted' from NY.

Caching by cell-phone!

But "Hey! I cheat! You want to cheat with me?" does take the cake.

Here is a courtesy copy of the email/PM which I recently had my outsourced staff in India send to every geocacher in the world who has an account at Groundspeak, on my behalf:

Dear Highly Esteemed Fellow Geocacher:

I am a geocacher and my name is Vinny. I live in the state of Maryland and, while I would love to log finds on every cache in the world, I do not have sufficient time and money to do so, and therefore I am a victim of circumstances and a victim of a mean and unkind and nasty world. Since I am a poor helpless victim of circumstances beyond my control, I have decided to "...make lemonade out of lemons", to borrow a term from the motivational speakers, and I have therefore devised a creative and wonderful way to solve my dilemma. And, I am asking you to help me with my goal of logging a find on every geocache in the world. Here is my plan:

I notice that you have several thousand finds on geocaches around your country, including some finds on geocaches in other countries as well. I propose that we form a temporary "osmotic geocaching symbiotic partnership", similar to the symbiotic relationships seen among varied organisms found in nature, and that, as part of this symbiotic osmotic partnership, you will be able to claim an osmotic find on every cache that I have found, via osmosis, and that I will be able to claim an osmotic find on every cache that you have ever found. And, the best thing is that if anyone tries to challenge us on any of our osmotic finds, we can simply point to the fact that there is indeed a signature in the logbook from our osmotic geocaching partner.

Please, I urge you, help me today to escape my victimhood and to create a new life for myself, one of glory and fame, wherein I will be able to log all 788,000 geocaches in the world over the next four months! I thank you in advance for having made the wise choise to become one of my temporary osmotic geocaching partners, and I am so confident that you will agree with my most excellent proposal that I have already instructed my outsourced logging staffers in India to start logging online finds on my account for every find shown on your Groundspeak geocaching account. Thank you for helping me in my goal to log every gecocache in the world, and have a wonderful day!

Vinny of Vinny & Sue Team

He's sent this to a few people, unfortunately not me. I'd really like to add his state to my cache map.

I also have an idea like like this one. I always wanted to read War and Peace but it was a bit too long and I never got around to it. I have however read many other books.

So if one of you has read War and Peace let me claim it as read and I'll give you a list of books I have read and you can claim that you read one of them. Actually since War and Peace is so long, you can claim reads on two of my books.

He's sent this to a few people, unfortunately not me. I'd really like to add his state to my cache map.

I also have an idea like like this one. I always wanted to read War and Peace but it was a bit too long and I never got around to it. I have however read many other books.

So if one of you has read War and Peace let me claim it as read and I'll give you a list of books I have read and you can claim that you read one of them. Actually since War and Peace is so long, you can claim reads on two of my books.

Strangely he sent it on or around April 1.

THERE IS SOMETHING ABOUT THAT DATE, BUT I CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT IT IS -- :D

I think his name is Cornflicker and if I did not know better I think you have all been had. My wife claims that I am a sceptical person and never accept wooden nickels and she says she feels sorry for me, because I never get to join in the humor of the situation , she claims that next to the word serious in the dictionary is my picture. I think I should like to lighten up a bit, so I am in.

This is the second biggest hoax since Bernie made off with all the money. :D

I tried to read War and Peace, but only got through War.

The following is an actual log, to show you a variation of remote caching, this appeared on a cache I did in Florida a couple of days ago: Found It Log

Nice location. I wasn't able to take the cache and log it because there were too many people around.

I am glad I checked the logs, cause it told me that I needed to shove a few of them out of the way, so I did. :P

Edited by Packanack

Strangely he sent it on or around April 1.

THERE IS SOMETHING ABOUT THAT DATE, BUT I CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT IT IS -- :D

I think his name is Cornflicker and if I did not know better I think you have all been had. My wife claims that I am a sceptical person and never accept wooden nickels and she says she feels sorry for me, because I never get to join in the humor of the situation , she claims that next to the word serious in the dictionary is my picture. I think I should like to lighten up a bit, so I am in.

This is the second biggest hoax since Bernie made off with all the money. :D

I tried to read War and Peace, but only got through War.

The following is an actual log, to show you a variation of remote caching, this appeared on a cache I did in Florida a couple of days ago: Found It Log

Nice location. I wasn't able to take the cache and log it because there were too many people around.

I am glad I checked the logs, cause it told me that I needed to shove a few of them out of the way, so I did. :P

I seriously think the Mid-Atlantic forum is being trolled, most likely because the phony logger Oculus Prime (who had all his logs deleted by TPTB) was first exposed here. Then we had this guy who was obviously fake logging caches for a couple of weeks, but hasn't logged in in months. Now this. I wonder, did Mr. Dolphin receive a copy of this email? :D

I seriously think the Mid-Atlantic forum is being trolled, most likely because the phony logger Oculus Prime (who had all his logs deleted by TPTB) was first exposed here. Then we had this guy who was obviously fake logging caches for a couple of weeks, but hasn't logged in in months. Now this. I wonder, did Mr. Dolphin receive a copy of this email? <_<

No, Dolphin only know what he read here. Perhaps he has a reputation for being cynical? :)

I seriously think the Mid-Atlantic forum is being trolled, most likely because the phony logger Oculus Prime (who had all his logs deleted by TPTB) was first exposed here. Then we had this guy who was obviously fake logging caches for a couple of weeks, but hasn't logged in in months. Now this. I wonder, did Mr. Dolphin receive a copy of this email? <_<

No, Dolphin only know what he read here. Perhaps he has a reputation for being cynical? :)

Oh, just saying that you were the one who "discovered' OP the phony logger, and brought it up here. :huh: Although a Google search shows that a couple regional Geocaching organizations were discussing his antics as well.

If you tell my wife that I mowed the yard and cleaned the gutters, I'll tell yours you read W&P.

FYI

----------------------

Hey fellow cacher,

I'm confused by the standards of this cacher . . . "Sure, I'm more than willing to log a cache I've never been near BUT there's no way I'm logging a find without my name on the log!"

Just think, I could finish that Delorme challenge up pretty quickly! And with this method, why stop at every state? Why not every country?