Oregon and GPS co-ordinates

On my first GPS , a Garmin Etrex H , I can have the GPS co-ordinates showing all of the time as I track the cache , effectively counting down until you arrive. Unfortunately I don,t know how to set up the Oregon with the same option , or even if it possible. I can keep going in to Co-ordinates , but it only gives a 'snap shot 'of that instance . Would appreciate anyone's help on this topic. :lol:

Any of the data fields can be changed. If you tap on a field that you don't want, you can choose "Location" and the GPS co-ords will be shown on the screen. You can also display the "Distance to Destination" which will count down as you go.

206.gif

OK then, whilst we're at it....

Does anyone know if it's possible for an Oregon to show 2 types of position, e.g. WGS84 and OSGB, which I used to be able to do on my aged Magellan Sportrak and is useful for finding out where I am (with reference to an OS map). It's less of an issue with the limited map on my 400t but there have been a couple of occasions when I'd have liked to know so I could tell which was the best route to the next cache.

Also, does the Oregon have a nice screen showing the position & strength of the satellites like the picture in an earlier post? I've had a little look and not found it yet but then finding things isn't my strong point. (I should really take up a different hobby!)

Does anyone know if it's possible for an Oregon to show 2 types of position, e.g. WGS84 and OSGB, which I used to be able to do on my aged Magellan Sportrak and is useful for finding out where I am (with reference to an OS map). It's less of an issue with the limited map on my 400t but there have been a couple of occasions when I'd have liked to know so I could tell which was the best route to the next cache.

If it's like the Colorado, then on the "Trip Computer" page, you can choose between two formats for "Location", one called "lat/lon" and the other "selected" - or you can have them both on the screen at once. "lat/lon" is "hddd°mm.mmm'", eg N45°12.345 E001°33.345. That's probably what you mean by "WGS84", although in fact WGS84 is a model of the earth, and you can use it with lots of coordinate formats. "selected" is whatever you've chosen as "Position Format". If that's "hddd°mm.mmm'" then you get the same thing twice. [:unsure:]

Also, does the Oregon have a nice screen showing the position & strength of the satellites like the picture in an earlier post? I've had a little look and not found it yet but then finding things isn't my strong point. (I should really take up a different hobby!)

Cant help you with the two format query but if you want to see the strength and position of the satellites screen just lightly touch the small satellite bars at the bottom of the screen ( near to where you can see how much battery you have left ) and up the big satellite screen will pop .

Hope this helps

Can't help you with the two format query but if you want to see the strength and position of the satellites screen just lightly touch the small satellite bars at the bottom of the screen ( near to where you can see how much battery you have left ) and up the big satellite screen will pop .

Hope this helps

Wow - so it does! Thanks for that, I'd have got there eventually, no doubt by accident halfway up a hillside and wondering how I did it. I should have thought it through a little harder because, as previous posts have pointed out, most things can be replaced by something else if you tap on them. Help for the hard of thinking is always appreciated!

If it's like the Colorado, then on the "Trip Computer" page, you can choose between two formats for "Location", one called "lat/lon" and the other "selected" - or you can have them both on the screen at once. "lat/lon" is "hddd°mm.mmm'", eg N45°12.345 E001°33.345. That's probably what you mean by "WGS84", although in fact WGS84 is a model of the earth, and you can use it with lots of coordinate formats. "selected" is whatever you've chosen as "Position Format". If that's "hddd°mm.mmm'" then you get the same thing twice. [:laughing:]

Thanks for that. I've had a play but I've not quite got there yet - I can get to see 1 lat and long and 1 osgb as required but then it expects everything to be in OSGB co-ords - not much use for caching. Alternatively I can get to see 2 sets of lat and long, having specified hddd mm.mmm as the format but using the osgb map and you get the slightly odd set up of showing 2 sets of lats and longs but which are different (not surprising given the maths but a little unnerving if you don't expect it). Haven't yet found a way of showing a GB grid ref that also allows you then to enter waypoints as hddd mm.mmm! But having played around I'm coming to the conclusion that it's not that vital as it's very quick to switch between data formats so it's probably irrelevant!