'caching with a PDA

edwardsofredmond

My brother was kind enough to hand-me-down his PDA, along with a new external GPS unit for it, a SpaceMachine PocketMap GPS. I've been trying to find a gps program to install on the PDA, but haven't been able to find anything that will load easily, let alone run properly. I've been trying to run NavMobile, since it seems to be the easiest to use. I have it installed, as best as I can tell, since the icon is shown on the Programs page on the PDA, but when I click on it, nothing happens

Does anyone have ANY idea what I'm doing wrong? I'd really like to get this going ASAP, since I plan to bring this with us, so we can do more 'caching on our road/overnight/camping trips. We would all like get and and do this, and I'm hoping I can use this, before I have to suck it up, and get a handheld gps - especially since this was all free to us

Edited by edwardsofredmond

ok, so it seems I need maps of the areas I want, now. Looks like that's where my confusion was... I was expecting this to do it all, in the same way a streep mapping gps does - turn it on, enter my destination, and go. I didn't know I'd need maps, to go with the mapping software (that's ok, this is where I'm rolling my eyes too... newbie still learning). I was just expecting some real basic topo map of the US to be included, so I would enter my coords, follow the digital compass, and "read" the terrain too. Since learning THAT's not the case, I guess I better go find my maps ...

Edited by edwardsofredmond

Get a real GPS. Use the Axim for paperless caching.

GPXSonar lets you read your cache files. MS Streets and Trips (and other applications) let you see maps on your PDA for planning. YOu get to keep your PDA since you will drop your GPS. The real GPS can take being dropped a lot more than your PDA.

That's a nice PDA even if it is a hand me down.