Batteries for a 60CSx

matsprt

Hi All,

I'm looking for suggestions on batteries for use in my 60CSx. One can sure burn through a couple of normal Alkaline batteries quickly.

I have been researching rechargables and I'm looking for input from members that are using them. Who is happy with what battery brand/recharger brand/mAh rating etc... ??

TIA

matsprt

Maha makes some good chargers. I've been perfectly happy with Duracel and Engergizer rechargables that you can buy off the shelf.

I've been pretty happy with the Energizer rechargeables that I get Wal-Mart. I've been less happy that it seems every time I get a new set the mAh value has dropped but the price has not. The set I picked up last November were 2500 mAh. The set from January - 2400. Last week - 2000.

Edited by Castle Mischief

Hi All,

I'm looking for suggestions on batteries for use in my 60CSx. One can sure burn through a couple of normal Alkaline batteries quickly.

I have been researching rechargables and I'm looking for input from members that are using them. Who is happy with what battery brand/recharger brand/mAh rating etc... ??

TIA

matsprt

Are you changing the "battery type" in the setup menu when you go from one to the other? I typically see a day or two of hard caching at least on Alkaline batteries.

One thing that will definitely eat any battery is having the backlight on at more than 10-20%.

I've tried several different brands of rechargeables and they all seem to lose their capacity over time.

I've recently tried Rayovac Hybrid rechargeables and have been quite pleased. They seem to fully recharge each time and they hold their charge longer, even in storage.

You can find them at Target.

Be sure you change your setup in the Garmin to NiMH. Not sure what that does to usage or whether that info is used to evaluate the battery charge level.

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

Yes, I was aware of the ability to change battery setting on the 60CSx. However I do have my backlight set higher that your noted 10-20%. I'll give that a try.

I'm not so sure I'm dissapointed with the battery life, I'm just thinking that there are better options that just burning through normal batteries like I do now.

Are you changing the "battery type" in the setup menu when you go from one to the other? I typically see a day or two of hard caching at least on Alkaline batteries.

One thing that will definitely eat any battery is having the backlight on at more than 10-20%.

Yes, I was aware of the ability to change battery setting on the 60CSx. However I do have my backlight set higher that your noted 10-20%. I'll give that a try.

I'm not so sure I'm dissapointed with the battery life, I'm just thinking that there are better options that just burning through normal batteries like I do now.

The 10-20% is for the 'dark of night' only. During the day, it shouldn't be needed at all...and if it's connected to a power source, the level is your choice since it's not on batteries anyway.

I use rechargable Energizer NiMH tha I got at Sam's Club for $19. The set included 8 AA batteries and 4 AAA plus a charger for 4 batteries.

2 fully charged batteries last about 13-15 hours of heavy use.

Much cheaper in the long run, plus you're not tossing all those batteries into the trash.

I started with Panasonic rechargeables and 4 years later I'm still using them. Granted they don't last all that long anymore, but I can usually get a full day of caching out of them in my 60CSX. They last about 3 hours in my PN40.

I purchased a bunch of Energizer rechargeables about 6 months and my experience with them has not been good. I've had to throw about half of them away. Sometimes I put them in the charger and they get a "null" reading which means the battery is bad. Maybe I got a bad batch, but I'm not a happy camper because some didn't last beyond a month.

I just bought 8 Sanyo Eneloops after hearing a lot of good things about them. I probably won't have an opinion regarding them for a few months. The claim is that they don't lose their charge when they are not being used the way most other NiMHs do.

As far as a charger I have a La Crosse BC900 and it is an excellent one. You can change the settings from slow charge to fast charge, charge AAs and AAAs together. It's the best charge I've come across.

Edited by briansnat
I purchased a bunch of Energizer rechargeables about 6 months and my experience with them has not been good. I've had to throw about half of them away. Sometimes I put them in the charger and they get a "null" reading which means the battery is bad. Maybe I got a bad batch, but I'm not a happy camper because some didn't last beyond a month.

That's odd. My original set is over 2 years old and have held up well. I got a second set last year when we took a week long camping trip where we wouldn't have power to recharge them, and they've held up too.

I find it interesting that there are such opposed opinions on what I think are the same battery. Other than the label being the same might they actually be different "models" so to speak ??

I have read several reviews and tests that were done looking for the "best" and even those never seem to match. I think I'll just plunge in and try a brand, see how they hold up and if not happy try another brand. I did find this article that some may find helpful. One downside is this current update is not dated.

See Below:

Digital Image Accessories Review: The Great Battery Shootout

That's odd. My original set is over 2 years old and have held up well. I got a second set last year when we took a week long camping trip where we wouldn't have power to recharge them, and they've held up too.

Edited by matsprt

I started with Panasonic rechargeables and 4 years later I'm still using them. Granted they don't last all that long anymore, but I can usually get a full day of caching out of them in my 60CSX. They last about 3 hours in my PN40.

I just bought 8 Sanyo Eneloops after hearing a lot of good things about them. I probably won't have an opinion regarding them for a few months. The claim is that they don't lose their charge when they are not being used the way most other NiMHs do.

As far as a charger I have a La Crosse BC900 and it is an excellent one. You can change the settings from slow charge to fast charge, charge AAs and AAAs together. It's the best charge I've come across.

I am surprised that you had such a bad experience with the Energizers. I've been using the E2 rechargeables for a while now without problems. I do use the charger that came with the set. Could there be a difference in the charger that is causing the problem?

Choices:

Sanyo Eneloop 1500mAh NiMH

Duracell Rechargeable 2500mAh NiMH

Sanyo/GE 1750mAh NiMH

Energizer 2500mAh NiMH & 1750mAh NiMH

All recharged with the Energizer 15-minute charger, either in the car of wall transformer.

So-far, the Eneloop batteries have held up the best.. even with the low output, though I actually had one pair go sour in the past few days.. over a year old, I think probably their 20th charge, I started hearing a loud POP from the batteries. (the vent popping?) the cases were warm to the touch, but I discarded them.. It wasn't the charger, though. the charger still works with others.. Just this one pair.

I haven't gotten adventurous to go back to Radioshack.. Who makes their NiMH? I got a bunch of them ages ago with my 1st digital camera (an old Kodak DC-250) , because the camera was chewing up Alkalines like candy, yet I was able to get more than 20 photos out of the 4 NiMH they made. (also used their 2-Hr Charger.)

I've had bad luck with the Energizer rechargables as well. I still use my Sony rechargables that came with the digital camera we bought three years ago. Although, the charge is not lasting as long anymore (about a days worth now). But for the GPSr, still use alkaline batteries. I get at least a solid two days worth of hard caching (on for 8-10 hours at a time).

I have been using the same Tenergy 2600mAh NiMH rechargeables from BatteryJunction.com for over three years now with great performance.

Tenergy AA: http://www.batteryjunction.com/1po20aaba.html

They also have some Titanium 2700mAh batteries that are billed as the "Worlds Best Battery".

Titanium AA: http://www.batteryjunction.com/1po20aaba.html

I think I may pick up some of these since my Tenergy batteries are starting to get a bit old, and I also use them in a Mini-Mag LED flashlight, so they have been through many usage cycles.

The differences reported here on the performance of various brands of batteries, my well be in how they were charged and cared for. BatteryJunction.com has some great advice on the care and feeding of your rechargeables! Follow their advice and whatever brand you use should give you their best performance.

Rechargeable Battery Information and Care: http://www.batteryjunction.com/info.html

Edited by GizmoGuy411

Just curious, did you get that from the packaging or your own testing? All those I've seen says 2000 mAh.

I've been very happy with my Eneloops. I bought 8 from Amazon more than 2 years ago, and another 8 from Costco a few months ago. I split them into pairs and always use and recharge them that way - not sure if it makes a difference though. I use them in my daughter's camera, my external flash unit, and of course my GPSr. The low self discharge properties mean that when they're drained, I recharge and toss them into my backpack, and when I need them, they're not flat like my Energizers.

Just curious, did you get that from the packaging or your own testing? All those I've seen says 2000 mAh.

I've been very happy with my Eneloops. I bought 8 from Amazon more than 2 years ago, and another 8 from Costco a few months ago. I split them into pairs and always use and recharge them that way - not sure if it makes a difference though. I use them in my daughter's camera, my external flash unit, and of course my GPSr. The low self discharge properties mean that when they're drained, I recharge and toss them into my backpack, and when I need them, they're not flat like my Energizers.

My bad... I jotted from memory.. they're 2000mAh.. You're expecting clear memory from a 45-yr old schoolbus driver?

have you tried the energizer lithium battiers, i use them in my 60cx and i get about 16 to 17 hrs. out of them. they are a little pricey, but they are the best batteries i have found. they are not rechargable.

My owner's manual recommends that lithium batteries not be used.