What "extras" do you like to see on a coin?

Brassine Family

Hello geocoin fanatics!

I am in the begining stages of having my own trackable coin minted through Oakcoins. My plan is to put some in caches, FTF prize etc. and have some for trade. I will also be selling some to lower my overall investment.

The question/questions I have is:

Just have all the same plating?

what plating is more desireable?

or is there a chance the coin would POSSIBLY be more popular if I have them plated in different metals?

If so, what would be the most popular metals?

Is it more desireable to have Sequential Numbering?

Is a coin with a personal icon a major plus?

any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

I am not minting a coin to make money, I just want to be able to have a trade worthy coin, plus if I give a coin to someone, I want them to like it, and not think it is some lame trackable coin and pitch it in the garbage when I walk away.

By reading posts of some of the new coins that are getting ready to be minted I would say that copper seems to be very popular. I personally love the two tones but a lot of it depends on the design. As for icons, I would say yes because that's part of the fun of collecting.

haha copper and 2 tones are my fav too!! ive seen alot of peps like black nickle and antiques

Hello geocoin fanatics!

The question/questions I have is:

I usually pick the one plating that I like best for a coin and keep that one. I don't try to collect every combination of color/metal. The plating I usually keep is the one I feel looks most striking with the coin design and colors. For example, gold plating with red enamels looks fantastic, copper with green, silver with blues. 3D coins look great in antique metals. Mostly enameled coins that are more graphic or cartoonish look great with black nickel.

For me, it really depends on the design. See above.

or is there a chance the coin would POSSIBLY be more popular if I have them plated in different metals?

I don't know for sure. You would certainly give folks more choice for trading.

If so, what would be the most popular metals?

above

This is a fun option for a personal coin, but it is not high on what draws me to a coin. The person, the circumstances under which I receive it, and the design are probably the highest.

For me, yes, a major bonus. Can't resist the icons.... :laughing:

That's just me, though. There are lots of folks here with many varying opinions. Good luck with your personal.

It depends significantly on your design, but you'll learn quickly that everyone here has their favorites so a variety certainly doesn't hurt :laughing:

Again depends on the design, but if your coin is going to have a feel of antiquity or age then you definitely want to go with the antique metals. If your coin will have a cartoonish feel to it then black nickel is great! If you want your coin to have a clean and sharp look then I'd go with a polished finish. Just remember that whatever finish you choose the metal itself is a color and it should work with your design and not despite it. Don't pick a metal color just because you want variety, choose it because it works well for your design. :laughing:

Only if they're non-trackable I think. Many here do like to trade for specific numbers, but I don't know if it would make a difference in mass appeal.

Definitely. It's always nice to have an icon that is specific to your coin. It's part of the personality of the coin. :D

Look for feedback, but be true to yourself. You'll never make everyone happy so design for you first. You need to be proud of the coin foremost. It's an extension of your geo-personality and will be around forever so take your time to get it right. Don't rush, don't make any concessions that you don't have to. Quality seems to go much further around here than quantity :laughing:

The most common platings are gold, silver and copper or depending on the design antique gold (bronze), antique silver and antique copper. 2 tones are attractive if the 3D design works for it and that call is YOURS. As already mentioned do the coin you want to do as you won't please everyone. But my nickel's worth is that a personal coin will get more attention than a first attempt at a commercial one... unless you have a really really amazing design.

Just have all the same plating? if the desire is to sell some and give some away maybe two platings?

what plating is more desirable? Depends on the design, when I made mine I wasn't a fan of the antiques, I preferred the gold and nickel as well as black Nickel Landsharkz convinced me to have a few samples made so I was able to see 6 versions of my coin and decided the shiny gold/nickel just didn't work but the antique gold,silver and copper looked great. I still have a bunch that I trade, gift and send on missions I suggest picking a few combination's (I had 6 versions) for samples and go from there

or is there a chance the coin would POSSIBLY be more popular if I have them plated in different metals? Popularity for me is based more on the design. my favorite plating is antique copper and Black nickel but on some coins it doesn't work

If so, what would be the most popular metals? my favorite is Antique copper but the plating should compliment the design

Is it more desirable to have Sequential Numbering? sequential numbering do\esn't make a difference to me

Is a coin with a personal icon a major plus? a custom Icon is a big seller for a lot of people myself included but I will buy a coin that doesn't have one if it is a must have coin I haven't been buying many coins latley do to finances so it has to be pretty special for me to buy it.

Edited by plumbrokeacres

My 2 cents is that you a) should start by doing a coin that YOU like and B ) get samples before you decide on platings.

Even mint photos don't always do the coins justice - you really need to see them in hand to decide what metals look best with your design, IMHO. With our first coin I had a very specific idea in mind for a plating and then when I had the sample, decided against it because it just didn't look the way I had imagined it.

If you decide to make them trackable, you can always have the tracking numbers put on the samples so you can have 1 of a kind coins to either give away, trade or sell....or send traveling.

Good luck! ;)

Edited by ThePetersTrio

I always like it when I can read the tracking numbers. There's some coins out there where the tracking number is so micro-sized, it's almost ridiculous. I've been to a number of events where older geocachers hand the coins to much younger geocachers just so they could read them the tracking number!

For those who know what I'm talking about, yes, I did get some of those coins with the large print tracking numbers. :P

I like coins that are round, antique finished and sequentially numbered. I almost always avoid shaped one unless they have a special meaning to me. Selling more than one finish publicly is a turn off to me, and being trackable is something I could take or leave, it doesn't matter to me either way.

My favorite coins are the ones that have a lot of heart put into their design :mad:

I know it's a cheesy answer but it's true. If it means a lot to you, that's the *extra* I like to see.

As far as aesthetics, I love antiques, and I love translucents. Glitter is cool too, and I seem to be drawn to the complicated designs with multiple levels and a lot of detail, I usually opt for the silver (or nickel) plating but it really depends on the design what platings and colors complement it.

For me, the importance of trackability decreases with respect to the amount of heart and meaning in the design (b/c if it's really meaningful, it's not getting set free anyway :lol:) but I'll agree that if it's trackable, I'd like to be able to read the numbers :rolleyes: