A Shape File Question

Hi ripmyfly, if you are hoping to put these boundary shapefiles into your 60CSx it is not really possible. Having said that, let me add that you CAN load up to 20 "Saved Tracks" made from some of the boundary layers, but is labor intensive. A line or polygon shapefile can be edited to make it one continuous polyline to serve as a saved track and loaded. But it is very limited and would require editing with GIS software or some other utility software first. Plus, I see that this TN data is projected in the Tennessee State Plane, NAD83 coordinate system, and would need to be re-projected to Lat/Lon WGS 84 to upload into your 60CSx.

I just downloaded your TN Zip file and opened the shapefile. There are 817 individual polygon features. If you are hoping to upload some boundaries you'd have to pick 20 or less of the ones you really want. Unless I misunderstand what you hope to do. If you are building a custom map to create a transparent map to load it could sure be done to have them all, once it is projected to Lat/Lon.

I just downloaded your TN Zip file and opened the shapefile. There are 817 individual polygon features. If you are hoping to upload some boundaries you'd have to pick 20 or less of the ones you really want. Unless I misunderstand what you hope to do. If you are building a custom map to create a transparent map to load it could sure be done to have them all, once it is projected to Lat/Lon.

I sure do appreciate you all's time. Unless there is a site that explains all this or a book Im afraid it's Greek to me. I believe that the 8oo+items are each individual Wildlife Management Areas. I would only need 12 - 15 of these. So if I can figure it out it will cut down my labor time. But hey I lost my job so time isnt a issue right now Im afraid.

Thanks again!!!

Example of a custom map using shapefiles from your ZIP file....semi-transparent polygons allow background map to show through. Color and pattern of polygons are changeable. Create a pattern of your choice in a graphics program...save as .bmp...import it into genTYP to create typ file to alter the polygons. Custom types is covered in the cGPSMapper manual.

Screenshots from Garmin 276c of White Lake WMA area (shown over Topo 2008)

20wht.jpg

20wht3.jpg

20red3.jpg

20grn3.jpg

Edited by rws

I noticed that the WMA individual areas are all classified in "Layers" in Google Earth. Is there a way to just get the outline of all these WMAs and convert them to "Paths" in Google Earth and then resave the file as a .kml and convert to a Mapsource .gdb file using GPSBabel? I'm not that familiar with Google Earth and the manipulaton of layers within it. Tracing the individual areas as "Paths" is the only way I could see to get the outline for Layers and was hoping there is an easier way to just get the outline of each WMA area.

Thanks for any help.

There may be easier ways I'm not aware of, but I *think* you can still do what you want with the trial versions of OziExplorer. You have to load the blank map, then you can open the shapefiles and convert them to tracks. It should be fairly simple to select the tracks that you want and send them to your device or save them as a .gpx file. Use WGS 84 for datum.

1) Get GPSMapedit.

2) Import the shape file(s).

3) Convert the areas to polygons.

4) Convert the polygons to polylines.

5) Create Garmin map.

Thanks for information. I can get it imported but I don't have something correct and after changing numerous things I still don't think I've got the coordinates being projected correctly. In Step 3 of the import process if I set the Coordinate System to Lat/Long deg. then the map does not not even appear on the PC screen. If I set the Coordiate System to UTM North Hemisphere then the map appears on the PC screen but the coordinates don't seem to be converted. I am setting the Datum to NAD83 since that is what TWRA said it was. This is all new to me so any help will be much appreciated.

1) Get GPSMapedit.

2) Import the shape file(s).

3) Convert the areas to polygons.

4) Convert the polygons to polylines.

5) Create Garmin map.

Thanks for information. I can get it imported but I don't have something correct and after changing numerous things I still don't think I've got the coordinates being projected correctly. In Step 3 of the import process if I set the Coordinate System to Lat/Long deg. then the map does not not even appear on the PC screen. If I set the Coordiate System to UTM North Hemisphere then the map appears on the PC screen but the coordinates don't seem to be converted. I am setting the Datum to NAD83 since that is what TWRA said it was. This is all new to me so any help will be much appreciated.

The shapefile is using TN State Plane coordinate system...If you're using GPSMapEdit I don't think that option is available in the drop down box.

Edited by rws

I noticed that the WMA individual areas are all classified in "Layers" in Google Earth. Is there a way to just get the outline of all these WMAs and convert them to "Paths" in Google Earth and then resave the file as a .kml and convert to a Mapsource .gdb file using GPSBabel? I'm not that familiar with Google Earth and the manipulaton of layers within it. Tracing the individual areas as "Paths" is the only way I could see to get the outline for Layers and was hoping there is an easier way to just get the outline of each WMA area.

Thanks for any help.

Just save the layers you want to a .kml file. The convret that to a .shp file using KML2SHP. Then open the .shp file/s into gpsmapedit and off you go Edited by coggins

I made up a custom map of the TN Wildlife Management Areas using the data available at the link in ripmyfly's post. The map installs into Mapsource where you can then upload it to your GPS. It will overlay your Garmin basemap or Topo maps and displays in red.

Download and open the zip file....read the READ_ME_FIRST.txt file for installation and use instructions.

Custom TN WMA Map

map displayed on a Garmin 276c over Topo 2008 at 8 mile zoom

25Red8m.jpg

map displayed on Garmin 276c over Topo 2008 at 2 mile zoom

25Red2m.jpg

rws, Great!!!, Thanks,

For my future info. with .shp files... I was able to get it to work with ExpertGPS where I was saving polylines for all WMA areas and saved as a .gpx file (13 Mb). When I would try to open the .gpx file in GPSMapEdit in would lock up a 4% loading and Mapsource wouldn't ever open the file. Was this due to a problem with my file or possibly because I was using the trial version of ExpertGPS? I thought it was a little odd that the TWRA Lands.shp file was only 4 Mb and my ExpertGPS.gpx file was 13 Mb. Thanks for the custom map.

Thanks for all the help! I have one more problem. I just upgraded to the new version of MS via the check for updates button. After the install I get a data box that says problem w/ Product Tigerdata please reinstall product tigerdata. How do I do this & will I loose all the stuff I have in MS currently?

Thanks for all the help! I have one more problem. I just upgraded to the new version of MS via the check for updates button. After the install I get a data box that says problem w/ Product Tigerdata please reinstall product tigerdata. How do I do this & will I loose all the stuff I have in MS currently?

What is the tigerdata product? A custom map? If so get a copy of MapSetToolKit and delete that map....Mapsource should then start up.

What is the tigerdata product? A custom map? If so get a copy of MapSetToolKit and delete that map....Mapsource should then start up.

Will that was easy. Thanks.