How best to send out a proxy in replacing a missing/stolen coin

ThePetersTrio

So we've been sending out coins frequently over this past year and for the most part, we've done ok as far as the loss/stolen ratio goes. But there are several coins of ours that have been gone for nearly a year now and I'd like to make a nice proxy replicant of the coin to replace the actual one so that we may still get some benefit from watching it travel. And some cachers will still be able to obtain the icon for moving them.

I want to make sure the coin's title indicates it is now a proxy but because there are so many geocachers who absolutely HATE proxy coins, I'd like to somehow indicate that it is a replacement for a missing coin in the title too. Obviously I can clarify the purpose of the proxy in the coin's page.

Anyone have a succinct way to title the proxy that wouldn't sound as bad as:

ThePetersTrio Here Comes the Sun Proxy to Replace the Missing/Stolen Coin :laughing:

BTW, I also plan to attach a travel buddy tag to the proxy just to add something more tangible to hold and move. Hopefully that will help a little.

Any helpful hints on successful (if there are any) proxy making is welcome here. I really want to do as good a job as possible in making the proxy vs. just making a laminated photo of the coin.

I know there will be people who will want to use this thread as an opportunity to spout off about their hatred of proxy coins. I already get that, so please...can we just use this for positive posts and leave the negative ones for another proxy thread debate? Thanks. :laughing:

Not sure about the page however you can use a high quality Baseball card holder 1/4" thick print you poxy out on photo paper along with whatever other information you would like to include. you will need to seal it with plastic watertight glue then you can drill it to attach the travel buddy. Personaly I think its alot less time and hassel if you just release a new coin. However this would be a quality proxy with alot more additional information than was contained in the orginal release of the coin.

Not sure about the page however you can use a high quality Baseball card holder 1/4" thick print you poxy out on photo paper along with whatever other information you would like to include. you will need to seal it with plastic watertight glue then you can drill it to attach the travel buddy. Personaly I think its alot less time and hassel if you just release a new coin. However this would be a quality proxy with alot more additional information than was contained in the orginal release of the coin.

Thanks for the suggestion - sounds promising and I'll definitely look into that method.

I hear what you are saying about it just being easier to release another coin but typically when I purchase coins, I buy one to keep and one to release. I don't really wish to part with my keepers. And I really don't wish to buy more coins simply to replace the missing/stolen ones when I already have so many other coins set to release. :laughing:

I've been thinking along the same lines and plan on releasing those coins that have been marked MISSING and renamed STOLEN for about a year or so as PROXIES.

I'm plannig on laminating a card with the coin's picture and tracking # with a small explanation that it is a replacement for an actual coin that had been released and stolen, not a ghost for a collector's thrill. I figure that so long as PROXY is in the coin's name those that hate them will be forewarned and I can avoid been flamed for the resurrection of an existing traveler.

Have been thinkin on a way to make a proxy suitable for people who actually like to move "coins" I know some folks absolutley HATE proxys!

I have seen a simple copy cut out and placed in a plastic coin case to travel, that seemed the best so far.

I got little metal tags I can stamp numbers into, but the coin part I have not come up with a good enough idea to release my MIA coins back into circulation.

I havethought about a TB and coin ressurection graveyard, where I may be able to create Tombstone coins, possibly with pics or somethin, but a laminated peice of paper just doesnt do it for me. Thinkin washers, wood or some other medium where the proxy can be most coin-like or at least substantial enough to represent a coin or at least appeal to whomever grabs it. A rule for this would include the word "Resurected" in the coin name :laughing:

So far its just been an idea, but the more I think bout it, the more I think it'll be a good thing. Just gotta come up with a happy medium for replacement. I was also happy to grab Cruiserdudes Land Cruiser which only had a metal tag attached to the Land Cruiser. I was happy that it was at least related and reminded me of moving a Jeep TB, so that worked well to keep me happy moving a proxy :laughing:

Thinkin washers, wood or some other medium where the proxy can be most coin-like or at least substantial enough to represent a coin or at least appeal to whomever grabs it.

This is what I would suggest.

Get a heavy washer, print out a copy of the coin and glue it to the washers - then seal the whole thing in a plastic coin case and set it free. At least it will have some heft and feel to it.

I have a couple like this Travel Lion (Recycled Tracking # from Stolen Geocoin)

I just re-used the number as a travel bug and didn't bother with the photocopy of the original (which I didn't even take a picture of anyway), I used the tags Castle Man is selling.

i like you idea. :laughing:

i have my own metal coins and i can hit there the coin number in.

i love also your coinpage. :laughing:

thank you. :laughing:

I use a picture key chain. That way it does have a "feel" to it. It has a place to add your travel buddy. It seals pretty good. If it is underwater, it will fill. But it does stay rather dry. I have glued some and it works pretty good also.

As you can see, I have the coin images on one side, and the explanation on the other.

So far I haven't had anyone to say anything about them. The have been received pretty well.

Let me know if you are interested. I do take coins for trades!! :laughing::laughing:

DSCN5863.JPG

Thinkin washers, wood or some other medium where the proxy can be most coin-like or at least substantial enough to represent a coin or at least appeal to whomever grabs it.

Get a heavy washer, print out a copy of the coin and glue it to the washers - then seal the whole thing in a plastic coin case and set it free. At least it will have some heft and feel to it.

this is what I normally do and people seem to enjoy them.

Found one like this last weekend. It was done so well that at first we thought it was a real coin. A slight let down when we realized it was a proxy, but we moved it on just the same. :laughing:

For a name, how about "The Lost, But Not Forgotten, HERE COMES THE SUN Proxy Copy Replacement Traveling Laminated Card" :laughing:

No mistaking that one. :laughing:

:laughing:

I like it! Thanks Eartha!

And thanks for all of the great suggestions so far. Maybe I'll try a couple of different things and see which gets positive (or negative) reactions.

Ive sent out 2 proxy's so far. They havent been out long, but so far so good. I think they are well made copies.

I use a washer (if the coin is siver/nickel I leave it plain, if im using a gold or bn coin i do a quick spraypaint of the washer to match) , then I filled the center with a little bit of Mighty Putty. Color copy of the coin glued to the washer with liquid nails. I then put about 2-3 coats of clear polycrylic (small can bought in home depot). Placed the coin in a pvc jacket & sent on its way. Coin has good weight, looks good & I think will hold up to the elements.. Havent had any complaints yet. I clearly stated on the coins page that the traveler is a copy.

Here is a link to a forum thread I used for ideas on proxy's. Good luck:

Inventive coin copy ideas

Edited by Tha Saint

Every coin that either I have or my team members have all been sent out as proxies. We take a photo of the coin, use a photo editing program, combine the photo & information together, then laminate it.

It is clearly explained on the coin page that they have the copy or proxy coin as we can then keep the original & share with others at events & so forth. We have quite a few of the AGT Cache coins (Allegheny Geo Trails) which you cannot buy,, but must do at least 6 AGT caches, grab your stamp (in your passport book) & have it verified by 1 of the 10 Counties involved in order to obtain your AGT Coin.

My take on this is simply if I am busting my butt to do 6 or more caches (ratings range anywhere from 1-5, dif & ter.) in order to get a coin then it is staying within my collection & not someone else's. As to where I also have a Firefighter coin that was bought the very same day a good friend of mine (whom was a firefighter) was killed in the line of duty (I bought the coin earlier that morning prior to this) & it was delivered the same day he was laid to rest. This coin was dedicated to him for his bravery, courage, honor, friendship & so forth. It has quite a bit of personal meaning behind it with me, so I keep it within my collection & send a photocopy or proxy out.

I have only 1 or 2 complaints since I started doing this with my coins & quite a few that have stated they like the idea & may be doing it also.

If a cacher does not like the idea of moving a proxy or copy coin then fine, leave it for the cacher that may want the icon & move it along it's way.

I know this is an older topic but I figured I'd post anyway. :D

I've been buying a lot of activated coins lately and want to keep the coins in my collection but since they're activated I've made proxies to send out traveling. I've been gluing good color copies of the coins to painted heavy poker chips and then putting them in acrylic cases from Valley Coin. I bought round and rectangular cases and both work good but I prefer the rectangular because I can put a mission and the tracking # so they are plainly visible. Either way I generally re-type the tracking # on the coin so it's easy to read. So far people have really liked these but I haven't done many so we'll see once they are out in the real world. I do make sure to clearly put Proxy in the title of each so people know ahead of time. My biggest issue has been getting good, clear pictures of the coins.

Proxy2.jpg

Proxy1.jpg