GTM 20 Receivers - Different Versions ?

I thought the GTM 20 FM TMC Traffic receiver only came in one version.... But I was wrong.

Can anyone explain the difference between these two GTM 20 receivers "Other" than one says it comes with "Lifetime Traffic" and is about $100 CHEAPER ??? When you click on the products, you see different units too, but the receiver looks the same to me... even the connector.

Garmin Part #010-00544-13 GTM 20 w/Lifetime Traffic MSRP $119.99

Garmin Part #101-00544-01 GTM 20 MSRP $214.27

Wouldn't you think they would designate it with different Model numbers if it were really different.

They have the MSN receivers the GDB 50 and the GDB 55. Doe sthe same but for differrent receivers.

Weird..... and confusing....

I'm trying to get some data about these GTM20's as well. I just got off of the phone with Garmin and the person I spoke with was GREAT! He said that the $214 one is "Advertisment free". It comes with a 15 month subscription, then you have to buy the lifetime sub later, after the 15 months are up. But the $119 one has ads that pop up for local merchants (only when the car is stopped, say at a light). They go away as soon as the car moves. So, it is cheaper cuz it is advertisement based... You can get one of those through a Garmin authorized retailer for about $80. He said that Garmin will sell them but at FULL retail as to not undercut their distributors... And he recomended Amazon.

What I want to know is If I buy one from eBay or used etc. does it come with the free (ad based) lifetime traffic or do i have to register it as a NIB purchaser etc.? Any one have any data or links to data on these GTM 20's? I tried searching but it won't me search for any words shorter than 5 letters! G-T-M and 20.... hard to make them bigger, LOL.

I'm trying to get some data about these GTM20's as well. I just got off of the phone with Garmin and the person I spoke with was GREAT! He said that the $214 one is "Advertisment free". It comes with a 15 month subscription, then you have to buy the lifetime sub later, after the 15 months are up. But the $119 one has ads that pop up for local merchants (only when the car is stopped, say at a light). They go away as soon as the car moves. So, it is cheaper cuz it is advertisement based... You can get one of those through a Garmin authorized retailer for about $80. He said that Garmin will sell them but at FULL retail as to not undercut their distributors... And he recomended Amazon.

What I want to know is If I buy one from eBay or used etc. does it come with the free (ad based) lifetime traffic or do i have to register it as a NIB purchaser etc.? Any one have any data or links to data on these GTM 20's? I tried searching but it won't me search for any words shorter than 5 letters! G-T-M and 20.... hard to make them bigger, LOL.

I'd stick with AMAZON. I have seen the GTM-20 and/or the GDB50 (MSN) receivers both for around $80 including shipping.

You have a 30 day return policy with Amazon that you may not have with an ebay seller.

Plus... often the Mfg will not honor the warranty on an item purchased on ebay UNLESS the ebay seller is truly an authorized dealer.

And to top off the confusion, there is a "new" GTM 20. The newly redesigned model has the traffic circuitry built into an in-line "pod" or bulge on the cable near where the connector plugs into the cradle. It also apparently does not have the LED indicators (power and data sync) of the older unit. See here for an image:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=362...amp;pvID=33724

I hear reports of this unit being worse in performance than the older GTM 20...and you also have that in-line bulge near the cradle to try to conceal as well. The bulge also supposedly contains an external antenna connector (no sign or mention of an actual available antenna anywhere)...that's just one more cable to have to deal with.

The older model has the traffic circuitry built into the 12v plug itself, the power and data sync LEDs and does not have the in-line circuitry bulge. See here for an image:

http://tinyurl.com/koh8oc

There is no mention anywhere of these product design changes...you'd think Garmin would at least designate them as v1.0/v2.0. The part number is the same yet the units are totally different. Buyer beware... :(

Edited by SergZak