Stack overflow message

shorbird

Beginning today, I am receiving the following pop-up message when I attempt to navigate around the geocaching.com website: "Stack overflow at line: 236". I am using Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 and Windows 2000. I can always click through the error box, but the box continues to pop up no matter what I do. Is there a fix for this, and is it at your end, or mine?

I've run into the same problem: "Stack overflow at line: 1732". It only happens when I click on photos on benchmark pages. And again when I close a benchmark page. I thought it was a problem with my computer, but it is not. I'm using MSIE 7 and Window XP 2002. That's probably where shorbird ran into the same problem. It's only been happening for two days. Something has definitely gone wrong with benchmark pages. HELP!!

I'm still getting the error when looking at pictures that are published in the benchmark section, but I don't get it when looking at pictures in the geocaching section. I notice that the pictures in the geocaching section come up superimposed in the same window I click in, and in the benchmarking section the picture comes up (after the error) by itself in a blank window.

Are all people who are getting the error using IE7?

It definitely sounds like a problem with Geocaching and MSIE 7. And t started at the befinning of this month. And a lot of benchmarkers seem to be involved. I checked today from Andy Bear's computer (also MSIE 7), and had the same problem. I get Stack Overflow at Line: 1732 when I try to move out of a Benchmark page. I have not heard any word from TPTB that they are even looking into this problem.

I saw it the other day, both lines first 235 and 1732. I was at the time using IE6 and have just upgraded to IE8. Haven't tried the benchmarks yet but will shortly.

Still shows using IE8. Only 235 on the couple of pages that I checked.

Edited by Rick618

<Also - dude - it is 2009 and win 2000 came out in 1999 - time to upgrade??>

Alright...You talked me into upgrading to VISTA.

DO NOT UPGRADE TO VISTA!!!!! There are STILL TOO MANY BUGS!!!

What you SHOULD Upgrade to is Win XP SP3, and Mozilla Firefox.

Most Internet related viruses that are webpage driven, trigger with IE, and not Firefox... That could Also be an issue.

The Steaks

P.S. Hopefully I caught you in time...

<Hopefully I caught you in time...>

No need to worry...I was kidding. I'm still on Win2000 using FireFox.

The next computer I build...I'll install XP...I have a few new OEM copies from NewEgg when I bought parts from them.

I just hate to switch operating systems now...the O/S install and then all the software takes DAYS...

I'm using MSIE 7.0.5730.11

When I go into KU1632, I see the page. When I click on KU1632 TIDAL 3 STA 1, Alpine NJ, I get the error message: Stack overflow at: line 1732. I get the same error clicking on the back arrow, 'log this benchmark', profile of the finder, 'visit this log', 'start a new search'. I do not get the error clicking on 'view original datasheet', 'nearest benchmarks', 'nearest geocaches', 'about waypoint downloads',or the options 'geocaching.com google maps', or the other options below that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also getting another error, but I cannot find it right now.

I'm also getting the same problem using a friend's computer, also MSIE 7.

Edited by Harry Dolphin

When I go into KU1632, I see the page. When I click on KU1632 TIDAL 3 STA 1, Alpine NJ, I get the error message: Stack overflow at: line 1732. I get the same error clicking on the back arrow, 'log this benchmark', I do not get the error clicking on 'view original datasheet', 'nearest benchmarks', 'nearest geocaches', 'start a new search', 'about waypoint downloads', the profile of the finder, 'visit log'. I do not get the error with'view original datasheet', or the options 'geocaching.com google maps', or the other options below that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Harry. I didn't see the error initially because Firefox suppresses it. I'll have Raine check it out and post back soon if it's something simple. Otherwise I'll open a ticket and schedule some dev time in the near future to take care of the problem. Until then if it annoys you too terribly you could temporarily switch over to Firefox. We'll try to be quick about it.

When I go into KU1632, I see the page. When I click on KU1632 TIDAL 3 STA 1, Alpine NJ, I get the error message: Stack overflow at: line 1732. I get the same error clicking on the back arrow, 'log this benchmark', profile of the finder, 'visit this log', 'start a new search'. I do not get the error clicking on 'view original datasheet', 'nearest benchmarks', 'nearest geocaches', 'about waypoint downloads',or the options 'geocaching.com google maps', or the other options below that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have similiar problems when clicking on the links mentioned by Harry Dolphin, but with a difference. I see two different messages; "Out of memory at line 4578" and "Stack overflow at line 236" The first message appears as a user without admin rights, the second as a user with admin rights.

Vista Home Premium, SP1; IE 7.0.6001;

Bob

Sorry, Nate. I checked the referenced page above at 1:30 AM GC Time, and everything worked properly. I looked at some benchmark pages at 3 AM, and was having the same problems that I referenced on Post #19. And, indeed on the bnechmark page listed in Post 19. Now, everything seems to be working properly again. Thanks for your help.

Sorry, Nate. I checked the referenced page above at 1:30 AM GC Time, and everything worked properly. I looked at some benchmark pages at 3 AM, and was having the same problems that I referenced on Post #19. And, indeed on the bnechmark page listed in Post 19. Now, everything seems to be working properly again. Thanks for your help.

Thanks for letting me know. Maybe you had a browser window from before the fix still open. Unless you closed out your session completely it would still cause the error. Let us know if you have any more trouble.

It's broken for me again. :rolleyes:

For example. Go to this page.

Click on any of the links in the 4/14/2009 log and I get:

Stack overflow at line: 1732.

I also get a Stack overflow on line 1432 or 236 if I hit the "X" at the top of the window.

Is there an orange icon waiting in the tray to the bottom right? By updgrading Java any errors should disappear. Please do that and report back if you still have issues. Thanks.

Same issue with stack overflow line 235 before and after a Java version ugrade.

No orange icon in the tray and per the Java site updated to "Recommended Version 6 Update 13"

It's broken for me again. :)

I also get a Stack overflow on line 1432 or 236 if I hit the "X" at the top of the window.

Is there an orange icon waiting in the tray to the bottom right? By updgrading Java any errors should disappear. Please do that and report back if you still have issues. Thanks.

It's broken for me again. :)

I didn't do anything and it's working today.

I don't have an orange icon waiting in my tray in the bottom right.

It's broken for me again. :unsure:

I didn't do anything and it's working today.

I don't have an orange icon waiting in my tray in the bottom right.

It's broken again for me today. I don't get it. Why does it work for a time then stop working again?

Uh, Java and JavaScript are different things.

JavaScript is everywhere on the web these days. GC.com and the embedded Google Maps use it heavily. (Yahoo? Didn't GC.com punt the Yahoo maps?) There's no way to upgrade JavaScript without upgrading the browser; it's embedded right in it.

Hardly any website uses Java anymore. I'm pretty sure GC.com doesn't use it. (I have Java permanently turned off, yet GC.com works well for me.) Upgrading Java shouldn't accomplish anything, other than waste a little time.

Viajero Perdido: You are correct in describing the difference between Java and JavaScript. The thing we're seeing though is that for us the issue went away when we updated the Java VM. So maybe there is a toolbar that's running in a JVM process or people have an applet running.

-Raine

That's interesting, because it sure smells like JavaScript. But then, I can't look inside as easily as you can.

I'd be curious to know what the final resolution is. Thanks for the updates!

PS, a little more info: I borrowed a laptop at a geo-gathering, and in a recent version of IE, we got the dreaded popup, including when we tried to go "back", also when trying to close the window. (Sounds like a JS event handler, doesn't it?) Luckily that laptop also had Firefox, we quickly switched to that, and all was well.

(I throw a pox on IE's cryptic handling of JS errors! And I kneel humbly before the holy trinity of Firefox, Venkman, and Firebug.)