Oregon 2.95 beta released

I think I'm calling Garmin tomorrow. The compass is completely useless (yes, it's calibrated... I had a Colorado for a year and found 700+ caches with it.).

And yesterday, we were about 2 hours from home (trying) to cache with the Oregon along with another couple who had bought my Colorado. I'm glad they came along because I never found anything with the Oregon. And after the third cache, in clear-blue sky, the Oregon lost GPS signal completely and never got it back like it should. New batteries and no interference. The Colorado was humming right along, but the Oregon was completely useless. If it ever did get a signal, it was way, way off. One time it even reported that it has 600+ feet of accuracy!

I've left it on all night and today, it seems to be picking up more signal. But I'm about to take a major vacation and if it zones out like this when we're 2,500 miles from home, I'm not going to be a happy camper to say the least.

Has anyone had any similar experience?

If you read back through this thread (especially near the beginning) you'll see there are quite a number of people who have had reception problems with this beta release. I saw this for 3-4 days after the upgrade but it has been okay for the last week or so. Still seeing some significant drifts compared to the 60csx however.

I think I'm calling Garmin tomorrow. The compass is completely useless (yes, it's calibrated... I had a Colorado for a year and found 700+ caches with it.).

I've left it on all night and today, it seems to be picking up more signal. But I'm about to take a major vacation and if it zones out like this when we're 2,500 miles from home, I'm not going to be a happy camper to say the least.

They'll say that it's BETA firmware and if it's important you should be using the latest offical final-release firmware.

Haven't had time to read thru all of this yet so let's start with....

I've had my 400T for less than a week but it is ver. 2.20. Do I need to back track and make each update or can I update straight to the newest version?

You can go straight to the latest update. All updates are inclusive.

You have to decide whether you want to upgrade to the last official release (Use Webupdater) or install the latest beta release that is being discussed in this thread.

If you read back through this thread (especially near the beginning) you'll see there are quite a number of people who have had reception problems with this beta release. I saw this for 3-4 days after the upgrade but it has been okay for the last week or so. Still seeing some significant drifts compared to the 60csx however.

I just installed 2.93 to see if it's better. Hopefully it'll be more stable (according to what I've read about the firmwares).

BTW, thanks for your wiki. It's been very helpful. :(

Test #3, unfortunately I didn't have my 60CSx with me today but it was nice and sunny :laughing:

3463085445_3f3a476968.jpg

Blue = WAAS enabled, Green = Turned off WAAS and backtracked, Red = Walked same path in same direction as Blue with WAAS still off.

I was fairly careful to walk within 6" of the positions for each track... (really annoying some folks when I wouldn't step off line) and all three tracks are within 5 mins.

Interestingly this time both the WAAS and non WAAS varies and this time I had the GPSr at hip height in the Oregon sturdy case.

In the previous test (where it matched the 60CSx) I had the unit in a breast pocket of a Tilley VOMP I was wearing (LISTEN, I'm trying set a standard for geek uniform here :laughing:) and it was similar in results to the 60CSx lower down in one of the side pockets... I'm now wondering if the unit is really getting thrown off quite considerably and isn't taking into account attenuation if your body is in the way.

Cup your hand over the top of the Oregon and watch the signal drop... horrible!... do the same on a 60CSx and actually it drops about the same but the 60CSx still tracks better.

More testing to come.

Edited by iamasmith

so to hit on what Sgt. Pepper said...I just bought my Oregon today and it says it has version 2.42 on it...should I go to the latest beta version being discussed here or just try another earlier version? (thanks in advance for the help...I'm still new and trying to figure it all out!)

Here are four days worth of comparisons between a 60csx (red) and the Oregon (green) with 2.95 against the yellow reference. Garmin has still got their work cut out for them with this chipset -- there's one drift on the order of 150' and none of the Oregon tracks is very accurate. I'm always amazed by how consistent the 60csx is.

090421_or_60csx.png

Here are four days worth of comparisons between a 60csx (red) and the Oregon (green) with 2.95 against the yellow reference. Garmin has still got their work cut out for them with this chipset -- there's one drift on the order of 150' and none of the Oregon tracks is very accurate. I'm always amazed by how consistent the 60csx is.

090421_or_60csx.png

Do you still have your Colorado and if so,how do you think it would compare? Seems the 60csx is really hard to beat. Does this all come down to chipsets?

so to hit on what Sgt. Pepper said...I just bought my Oregon today and it says it has version 2.42 on it...should I go to the latest beta version being discussed here or just try another earlier version? (thanks in advance for the help...I'm still new and trying to figure it all out!)

Personally i'd shy away from 2.95b. Theres lots of folks having good success with it but also quite a few that havent. I really liked the new features but I had a pretty bad time with the compass and accuracy in general so I rolled back to 2.86 then to 2.93. The 2.93 seems very stable... so far

Cartesio chipset. Same as the new Delorme machine. Not sure if "better" or "worse" than than the SiRF but clearly the drivers for WAAS and moving accuracy aren't mature yet.

My experience has been that with 2.95b stationary accuracy is as good as other units out there. It's the moving tracking accuracy that's buggered up. I've kept with it as road routing and caching (all I use OR for here) works A-OK. My WAAS has got better and better with each Beta.