Oregon 2.95 beta released

Was going to say the same thing. Somehow I don't see Garmin supporting/troubleshooting your 3rd party maps.

They won't support them. But I suspect they will take a close look to see what is wrong in case the bug has potential to cause other issues.

Don't write them off to fast. The Oregon Beta team have been incredibly responsive. In both situations I reported, they replied within 30 minutes asking for additional files, debug reports etc.

I had this chilling experience after loading the update. The 400T froze after the validation screen went to 100%. I needed to pop the batteries to get it shutdown. The restart went smoothly and the 2.95B loaded as it should.

I was fearful that my 400T had become a brick.

Now, off to find some caches :lol:

I had this chilling experience after loading the update. The 400T froze after the validation screen went to 100%. I needed to pop the batteries to get it shutdown. The restart went smoothly and the 2.95B loaded as it should.

I had the EXACT same experience. It was the first "issue" of any type with my 400t. Restart was fine...after battery pop.

I had the EXACT same experience. It was the first "issue" of any type with my 400t. Restart was fine...after battery pop.

That happened when I put in 2.94. Reboot cleared it.

Yesterday I updated to v2.95 and was impressed with the bells and whistles...BUT i'm having issues with accuracy. Seems now the compass is pretty useless other than getting me going in the general direction of the cache. Once I get within 60 feet of GZ im on a drunken stagger all over creation. The compass pointer constantly flip-flops, I cached all morning and stopped using it all together. The sequence of events are as follows... Nearing GZ the "Dist to Dest" number slowly drops, 35'...28'...24'...18'...Then BAM!! arrow does a 180 and distance to dest says 50-60' in the other direction. All this happening with the GPSr showing 8' of accuracy. I cached hard this morning and came up with only 6 smileys, and I found those by chance, not by GPSr guidance :laughing: I have never had a DNF on a ammo can until today, and had 3 ;) , it was very frustrating. After I threw in the towel I had a pair of caches made up ready to hide, when i selected my location, it was showing accuracy over a hundred feet so I chose to just head home and sulk. Anyone else having such problems? If so, what version should I roll back to?

Yesterday I updated to v2.95 and was impressed with the bells and whistles...BUT i'm having issues with accuracy. Seems now the compass is pretty useless other than getting me going in the general direction of the cache. Once I get within 60 feet of GZ im on a drunken stagger all over creation. The compass pointer constantly flip-flops, I cached all morning and stopped using it all together. The sequence of events are as follows... Nearing GZ the "Dist to Dest" number slowly drops, 35'...28'...24'...18'...Then BAM!! arrow does a 180 and distance to dest says 50-60' in the other direction. All this happening with the GPSr showing 8' of accuracy. I cached hard this morning and came up with only 6 smileys, and I found those by chance, not by GPSr guidance :laughing: I have never had a DNF on a ammo can until today, and had 3 ;) , it was very frustrating. After I threw in the towel I had a pair of caches made up ready to hide, when i selected my location, it was showing accuracy over a hundred feet so I chose to just head home and sulk. Anyone else having such problems? If so, what version should I roll back to?

Did you recalibrate the compass?

I cached all day Thursday and my 2.95 worked flawlessly. Recalibrated after battery changes and it worked great.

Did you recalibrate the compass?

I cached all day Thursday and my 2.95 worked flawlessly. Recalibrated after battery changes and it worked great.

Yes I did, several times actually

Check to see if you have a DEBUG directory under /Garmin and if so is there a .xml file there.

If there is one, email that file along with a detailed problem description to OregonBeta@garmin.com.

They might figure something out.

IMHO you can regress to 2.94 without too much problems. It does have a power off problem but you have to do specific actions to make it happen.

Good luck.

T

Check to see if you have a DEBUG directory under /Garmin and if so is there a .xml file there.

If there is one, email that file along with a detailed problem description to OregonBeta@garmin.com.

IMHO you can regress to 2.94 without too much problems. It does have a power off problem but you have to do specific actions to make it happen.

Good luck.

T

I was thinking about rolling it back to either 2.94 or even 2.85 but cant seem to figure out how ;) Any advice? I left it out on my deck for over an hour and accuracy stuck around 150'. Kinda thinking its a hardware problem now but the way it was acting this morning makes me think the 2.95 BTW there is a file in the debug folder, i'll send it to garmin today

Edited by ark_fireman

I am having a strange problem now.

I have a Gramin power adaptor specifically for the Oregon. When I plug it in, my Oregon says, "USB cable detected. Would you like to go to Mass Storage?". If I say NO it will go to map screen for a second then ask the same question again.

Endless Loop

Also, I put the GPS in demo mode then back to WAAS and it only picks up 2 or 3 satelites where usually it shows about 12 with almost full green bars with WAAS lock.Then it says, "Lost Satelite Reception" over and over. This is with FULL sky and after over an hour!

Haven't seen this with other releases.

Any ideas?

Oh yeah, I forgot. After a few minutes, it will say, "This accessory is not supported." while it is plugged in with the Garmin Oregon Power connector in my car!

What gives???

I DID do a Hard Reset and let it sit in sun for about an hour. Stll a no go.

Ideas?

Try another cable? Sounds like dodgy connection.

This is the ONLY auto power adaptor I bought for the Oregon and it is OEM from Garmin!

This problem didn't show up until AFTER the update, unless somehow the update screwed up my connection?

I hardly think so.

A little off subject, but can you use a car charger from a Razr phone for the Oregon? I know it will not charge it.

Thanks

You can use the razr charger. Just plug it in while in the car. The OR will operate as if it is on AC. Saves battery life while traveling, plus it leaves the back light on all of the time.

It worked great today,but now I plug it in and it shows that it is pluged into the computer?

Try changing the interface to Garmin Spanner, then it will let you choose whether to go into 'connected to a computer' mode or not when you plug in the USB.

Gary

I will check it Sunday. Should I just gett a Garmin cord or will this be OK?

Edited by The Yinnie's

Good luck.

T

I was thinking about rolling it back to either 2.94 or even 2.85 but cant seem to figure out how :rolleyes: Any advice? I left it out on my deck for over an hour and accuracy stuck around 150'. Kinda thinking its a hardware problem now but the way it was acting this morning makes me think the 2.95 BTW there is a file in the debug folder, i'll send it to garmin today

I would not regress to a previous firmware version. I don't think that is your problem. Others would be seeing the same bug.

I am curious to know if you get any feedback from Garmin.

Good luck.

T

I was thinking about rolling it back to either 2.94 or even 2.85 but cant seem to figure out how :rolleyes: Any advice? I left it out on my deck for over an hour and accuracy stuck around 150'. Kinda thinking its a hardware problem now but the way it was acting this morning makes me think the 2.95 BTW there is a file in the debug folder, i'll send it to garmin today

I would not regress to a previous firmware version. I don't think that is your problem. Others would be seeing the same bug.

I am curious to know if you get any feedback from Garmin.

Think a master reset may solve things?

Think a master reset may solve things?

I have never done one but as long as you have no data to lose, it can't hurt.

Can't remember if I suggested re-installing the firmware upgrade as well.

T

I reinstalled it last night, I'm thinking theres another issue here. Its just not locking on to satelittes well at all. Getting 4 usually. Another thing I forgot to mention earlier was the last time I calibrated the compass it didnt seem to want to take. I had to turn it 3 times before the bar started moving, probably 6 full rotations before it said "sucessful". When Garmin customer service opens in the morning, i'll be one of their first customers :rolleyes:

Try changing the interface to Garmin Spanner, then it will let you choose whether to go into 'connected to a computer' mode or not when you plug in the USB.

Gary

It IS in "Spanner" mode. I never changed any of the settings from previous updates. Still acting crazy. I think I'm gonna go back to 2.94 Beta and see if it still does it.

I don't know what else to do....

made an update from 2.80 to 2.95ß and tried some caches.

My Oregon 300 runs fine and stable, what I noticed:

- when I change the profiles, not all settings are changed

- seems to be faster

- best accuracy increased from 6 m to 2 m

- POI, Caches and WP were kept in memory

I only miss a cachetype-filter: eg. show next traditional caches

happy hunting

Udo

- seems to be faster

happy hunting

Udo

- seems to be faster

happy hunting

Udo

You need to do cache filtering before you load the caches to the Oregon. I recommend GSAK.

This may be the same as a previously reported symptom with 2.95. I uploaded 2.95 last Wednesday (April 1st) and geocached with it all day Thursday. Experienced no problems at all, phenomenal accuracy, good solid locks. Today during a caching trip I lost all but the 3 satellites that were positioned directly overhead (none at 45 degrees, and none on the horizon), as one would expect...accuracy (EPE) went from 8-10 feet to over 300 feet, with wild swings of the compass. It would not acquire any other satellites, and eventually reported Weak GPS Signals, and then Signal Lost. This was under wide open sky, with my wife's Vista Cx holding a steady lock on 9 satellites and reporting 11 feet EPE.

I have an Oregon 400t, with only the pre-loaded Topo, and one additional MetroGuide map installed. I did receive a "DeBug" folder in my Garmin directory when I originally uploaded 2.95 - it has a .kml error file in it. I reinstalled ver 2.95 when I got home...the situation did not change. I reverted to 2.93 and immediately picked up all the normal satellites I am used to receiving here in the MidAtlantic area. I sure enjoyed those extra features that came with the 2.95 release, but I'm hesitant to try to reinstall it. I'll e-mail Garmin in the morning.........sigh.

Bill

This may be the same as a previously reported symptom with 2.95. I uploaded 2.95 last Wednesday (April 1st) and geocached with it all day Thursday. Experienced no problems at all, phenomenal accuracy, good solid locks. Today during a caching trip I lost all but the 3 satellites that were positioned directly overhead (none at 45 degrees, and none on the horizon), as one would expect...accuracy (EPE) went from 8-10 feet to over 300 feet, with wild swings of the compass. It would not acquire any other satellites, and eventually reported Weak GPS Signals, and then Signal Lost. This was under wide open sky, with my wife's Vista Cx holding a steady lock on 9 satellites and reporting 11 feet EPE.

I have an Oregon 400t, with only the pre-loaded Topo, and one additional MetroGuide map installed. I did receive a "DeBug" folder in my Garmin directory when I originally uploaded 2.95 - it has a .kml error file in it. I reinstalled ver 2.95 when I got home...the situation did not change. I reverted to 2.93 and immediately picked up all the normal satellites I am used to receiving here in the MidAtlantic area. I sure enjoyed those extra features that came with the 2.95 release, but I'm hesitant to try to reinstall it. I'll e-mail Garmin in the morning.........sigh.

Bill

Phew, wasn't just me.. was going to post this. Saw this late yesterday (low signal and very few bars) and today when out for a few hours automotive / geocaching modes the unit seemed to be struggling to keep anything more than 2-3 birds locked. Accuracy was "ok" but not the low single numbers we've been used to over the last couple of weeks. OR 300 here, 2.95.

Edited by Maingray

I ran my 400t through automotive and geocaching modes for 8 hrs today cruising around the Jersey shore with relatively few problems. Overall I'm happy with the update.

- My 400t used to lock up after a new GSAK upload requiring popping the batteries. It doesn't do that anymore

- Profile switches between automotive and geocaching seem to be just a touch faster.

- No issue with the GPS position wandering, lack of satellites or compass needle swings

- Didn't see a whole lot of WAAS today but accuracy stayed between 8-14 feet whether the GPSr was in the truck or walking around.

- The screen locked up on me twice in automotive mode, but this used to take a power cycle to fix. Now zooming in or out fixed the problem.

My opinion: There still are some bugs, but it seemed like my 400t was 'thinking" a lot better than it has before. There seems to be a slight disconnect/lag between processing capability and presenting of information on the screen though as evidenced by the beeps for upcoming turns even though the display was locked up.

Overall, I'm still happy with the unit as compared to our old 60CSx

-galaP-

I'll go ahead and post a update of todays events. I had the entire day to kill with absolutely nothing to do so I figured i'd try it again to see if the situation improved (thought maybe the oregon fairy payed a visit last night) Well, set it on the dash of my truck and showed 22" of accuracy. I thought i can work with that and went caching. Made a few finds unit seemed pretty steady. Floating between 16-25 feet all day, locking on 4-5 birds. Then after about 5 hours it shot up to 90-125' and stayed in that range for over a hour, actually till I got home. Appears 2wheelin, maingray and I have a common problem. I'm calling Garmin first thing in the morning and i'll post with what they tell me

Bill

Exactly the same here on a 300. Spent a day working fine, did a couple of caches in the morning and while driving to another location I got the 'Weak Signal'. The 300 became useless for the rest of the day. If I powered off and back on, it would find me, then 20 seconds later it would report the weak signal again.

I regressed back to 2.86 and spent the day caching today and it was fine. I've reinstalled 2.95 this evening and I've got a good lock and 3m accuracy. I'll see if it holds.

(Haven't looked to see if I have a debug).

I believe I've isolated the problem with the Oregon not getting lock on more than 3-4 satellites. It seems to have to do with visibility to satellite 01. Rather than retyping it here you can read about it on the wiki:

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/message...w/home/10935033

If you have a version OTHER than 2.95 loaded on your Oregon and you have visibility to satellite 01 can you post the number of satellites you can lock? It isn't clear to me yet if this is a generic issue that has nothing to do with the beta or if it is an issue with the beta release.

Edited by g-o-cashers

I flashed both my wife's and my Oregon up to 2.95 this last weekend. Mine was at 2.93 and her's was at 2.85. In addition, she has Garmin CN NT (SD Card version) and I use the free Ibycus maps. We were able to get great locks on the satellites and our accuracy was great. In fact, I had set my GPS on a log and it was showing the cache was 1 ft away. The cache turned out to be underneath it. In short, 2.95 is sweet.

The odd thing we did experience was her GPS shut off 4 different times. Each time she was moving around or back out of a map. AND each time she was moving - in the car or walking back to the car. And I checked, it wasnt her just being impatient. When she pushed the power button, it booted up and took it back to the menu. I was able to navigate in and out of the map on my unit without any problems. Of course I do not have auto routing so that may also account for the difference.

I reflashed her unit with 2.95, but it just booted normally afterward. I am thinking of flashing her back to 2.93, and the up to 2.95 just to see if it makes any difference. Does anyone else have any thoughts?

Edited by WITrailRider

I think you might be right about the Sat 1 theory.

I was out this morning and was getting good accuracy. Restarted the GPS at the trail head and noticed it was picking up 01 but didn't get a lock on it. Only got 3 other sat's. Powered off and this time it did not pick up 01. Got 8 sats and great accuracy.

Found a terracache that hadn't been found in 15 months. Coordinates were bang on.

Went for a hike yesterday with my Oregon 300 logging a track at "Auto/Most Often" resolution. The accuracy was abysmal. In the photo below you can see two tracks set 15 minutes apart. One was on my way out and the other on my way back. 80ft accuracy standard (my GPS said 10 ft accuracy most of the time).

Dear Garmin, thanks for the cute waypoints refering to the Oregon trail but could you please address some of the more pressing issues (such as accuracy and tracklog performance) with your time. Thank you.

1239136456.jpg

I have been following the topic on poor accuracy.

The last post shows tracks on the way out and then the way back.

I tried a 1.2mile round trip[with some tree cover and found:-

that the route out and the route back was totally different as did the last poster.

I then tried the same route three times at different recording intervals [down to one second interval]

and found that the three 'way out' were similar and the three 'way back' were similar.[i split the routes]

This I think was dependent on the position of the unit in relation to the satelites [mainly South and West] here in Wales.

It was also dependent on which side of the body I carried it on [to get an interupted view of the satelites]

Are you laughing - Try it!

It gives interesting findings.

I also tried it following a roadside kerb [an accurate route both ways]

Always the direction giving a good satelite view was more accurate than the return.

So is it a poor unit or a poor view of the satelites or dependent on the direction of travel?

Keep laughing!

eastv.pngwesty.png

The east route compared to west route [the better]- the biggest variation in the three routes in one direction was 15 feet.

To get this on the PC Mapsource I create several points on the contour lines. The two shown are 0.1miles apart on the mapsource at zoom 80 feet.

Edited by strumble

Strumble, if so then these Oregon units aren't very sensitive. I mean if my body (no fat jokes) blocks out the sats enough to effect accuracy then what's the point? I'm not going to costantly be switching my unit around on my person. I'm going to carabiner it to my pack and go, poor results be darned.

Didn't seem to effect the SirfIII units any. If it aint broken dont fix it right? Oh and I hear from press releases and developers that the Cartesio chips better delineate deflected signals, blah blah blah, and are the next generation of GPS chips. In what fantasy land do these people live? If I see in the future that any unit has a Cartesio chipset I'll be less likely to buy it.

If we all have Oregons with v2.95 then:-

Why if I walk the same footpath 3 times in the same direction [West] I only get a variation of 10 feet?

Why if I walk the same footpath 3 times in the same direction [East] I only get a variation of 15 feet?

Why if I walk the same complete footpath 3 times in both direction I only get a variation of 22 feet?

Why am I delighted with my results/accuracies when the results elsewhere are not accepted as being acceptable?

How many people have tested a set route three/ten times?

I get most of the time a GPS accuracy of 15 to 8 feet without WAAS [which accounts for my variations].

I believe that accuracy should not be measured on a route in both direction, as there are other factors to take into account.

Why has yogazoo a 80feet accuracy and I have with one identical route on three different days, a accuracy of 22feet?

I am asking not because I'm right, but because I would like an explanation.

So is it a poor unit or a poor view of the satelites or dependent on the direction of travel?

I did say

Keep laughing!
:blink::blink: Edited by strumble

I just upgraded from the last stable release to 2.95. Did the ability to move the main menu items around get hosed? Now when I select an icon through Setup, Main Menu, it just turns blue and I don't get the option to move it up or down.

Addendum:

Just figured it out. Instead of moving one at a time, you touch what you want to move and then select the new location. Sweet! :blink:

Edited by New Jersey TJ

I just upgraded from the last stable release to 2.95. Did the ability to move the main menu items around get hosed? Now when I select an icon through Setup, Main Menu, it just turns blue and I don't get the option to move it up or down.

Addendum:

Just figured it out. Instead of moving one at a time, you touch what you want to move and then select the new location. Sweet! :blink:

And you can delete (Trash Can icon) the items you don't want.

Following up on the accuracy problems for some time now. In the past weeks I used my way to and from work as a test track (consists of walking and local train ride through the city...high buildings, low buildings...quite a mixed field).

I tried beta versions from 2.86 on.

By far the worst tracks were produced by the recent firmware versions (2.94 and 2.95), which use the same gps-firmware....Lot of drift....lot of totally "drunken" tracks.... similar results to the track shown above sometimes......sometimes good results as well but usually not the kind of accuracy I would rely on... :blink:

Well, what I did yesterday is revert to 2.93 and again back to 2.95 [let the device boot up in between of course] to have the almanac cleared, to get a "fresh" satellite fix. Turned the gps on today and gave it some time to get a lock on a reasonable number of satellites (without moving....i found this to be important). Then I had a round with my bike....and the same way back....also some distance on foot to see how the device behaves with slower speed.

And tracks today looked wonderfully smooth when riding the bike (no reasonable difference between in and out tracks as well, could even figure out which side of the road I was driving on). And the "on foot" track looked MUCH MUCH better when compared to the previous days!! :P:D:D

This of course needs further testing, maybe someone else has similar experiences or would like to give it a try...

Maybe this hotfix feature is not that good after all....if my experience can be verified then I suggest Garmin to implement an option to clear all the previously collected satellite data or to give the user the choice to switch off hotfix alltogether.

Some screenshots:

444e.png

Picture shows tracks done with different firmware versions, walking....inner city 5 story buildings+high church nearby...

pink: firmware 2.93.....ok

cyan: firmware 2.94.....bad

blue: firmware 2.95 before getting a "fresh" lock (see above)....bad

green: firmware 2.95 after getting a "fresh" lock (see above)....just walked up the street and back again...looks ok, similar to 2.93

533.png

Picture shows tracks done today with firmware 2.95 after getting a "fresh" sat lock.

Biking to work in the morning, back in the afternoon....tracks look perfect (at least for me)

204b.png

Picture shows tracks done today with firmware 2.95 after getting a "fresh" sat lock.

yellow:bike, green: on foot.....When tracks indicate different sides of the street it shows where i actually were :blink:

Ok that's it for now, curious how the story develops....

Edited by lunarpatrol

I walked along the 'kerb' of the road in both directions and the variations were not more than 6 feet! The points were at 1 second intervals.

Here is screenshot #1 of mapsource at zoom level 80 feet with the track in both directions.

Here is screenshot #2 of the Oregon at zoom level 20 feet with the part track in both directions showing the biggest variation.

ghi.png553z.jpg

Edited by strumble

Add me to the list of accuracy issues. Loaded the update yesterday, went for a caching run this morning. Experienced everything that ark fireman did, and it maintained that attitude the entire time I was out. Would approach GZ and as the distance to destination dropped, right towards the end it would go nuts. I've never gotten frustrated with my gps until today, I was ready to throw it into a tree! And the whole time the accuracy stated 8' :blink: More than 1 cache was found today at least 10' from where my Oregon was telling me to be. At one point I was standing looking at the cache while being told it was 24' the other way.

And theres nothing I can say about WAAS that hasn't already been said here.

Here is what I sent to Garmin.

I installed the new 2.95 beta version and it worked perfectly for three days. I tested its different modes and there were no problems. On the fourth time, however, it caught signal from four satellites only while actually there should have been many more satellites because the spot was high in the mountain and it was an open space. After I climbed down the mountain and went back to town there was even an instant when the signal was lost and that was really abnormal. I cannot send you any data from the GPS report because I got really disappointed and reinstalled 2.85 beta version and then again installed the latest 2.95 beta. Now the GPS works properly but I am afraid the same issue may occur again. Before going up to the mountain I reistalled 2.93 because I didn't want to face any similar problems. I personally think this is the biggest bug so far and I hope it will be fixed in the next version.

FYI, the debug file remains even if you change software versions. I sent Garmin the file when I was using 2.94 and noticed the file also contained information on 2.93. I'm not sure if your lack of satellites will generate a bug report entry, but you could take a look and see if the date and time of any entry matches the date and time you had satellite trouble.

I installed the new 2.95 beta version and it worked perfectly for three days. I tested its different modes and there were no problems. On the fourth time, however, it caught signal from four satellites only while actually there should have been many more satellites because the spot was high in the mountain and it was an open space. After I climbed down the mountain and went back to town there was even an instant when the signal was lost and that was really abnormal

After all my posts on my accuracy I now experienced this same problem :blink: