HTML fails for Long Description on 1st Submission.

GizmoGuy411

For several months now I have noticed that when I first submit our local Meet & Eat Event template to the Long Description in HTML, that the resulting page is severely malformed.

When I submit the same template again via the cache page's "Edit" button it works fine.

As a test, I just submitted our next cache event, and did not use any HTML for the initial submission. Then as above I submitted the HTML template for the first time via the cache page's "Edit" button and it worked fine.

A couple other people who have submitted HTML cache pages have noted the same problem.

The next time I submit a cache, I'll test it again by submitting a very simple HTML code the first time and see if it works ok on first try, before submitting the template.

Here is the latest Event page that submitted successfully on the second try as above: http://coord.info/GC1PE1Q

Contact me for a copy of the original HTML template if necessary.

For several months now I have noticed that when I first submit our local Meet & Eat Event template to the Long Description in HTML, that the resulting page is severely malformed.

When I submit the same template again via the cache page's "Edit" button it works fine.

As a test, I just submitted our next cache event, and did not use any HTML for the initial submission. Then as above I submitted the HTML template for the first time via the cache page's "Edit" button and it worked fine.

A couple other people who have submitted HTML cache pages have noted the same problem.

The next time I submit a cache, I'll test it again by submitting a very simple HTML code the first time and see if it works ok on first try, before submitting the template.

Here is the latest Event page that submitted successfully on the second try as above: http://coord.info/GC1PE1Q

Contact me for a copy of the original HTML template if necessary.

I'll bet you're submitting malformed HTML. I've noticed that HTMLTidy often doesn't work on the initial cache submission, but it does kick in when you edit an existing page. So you're initially loading bad HTML, but when you edit it, HTMLTidy removes the bad code.

I reported this problem back in February. Maybe it'll get fixed in the next release.

Edited by Prime Suspect

I have had the problem as well.

Even just using simple <P> tags between paragraphs, the resulting html is messed up. <br>'s are inserted before and after each <P>.

If I submit blank descriptions (with the html box unchecked) and then enter the html description (with the box checked) it works fine.

I have the same problem. My solution...submit the cache with a blank description. Then go back and edit the details.

The HTML gets chewed up so bad during the initial submission, that it isn't worth fixing. Blank page first, then edit after submitting.

I'll bet you're submitting malformed HTML. I've noticed that HTMLTidy often doesn't work on the initial cache submission, but it does kick in when you edit an existing page. So you're initially loading bad HTML, but when you edit it, HTML Tidy removes the bad code.

I reported this problem back in February. Maybe it'll get fixed in the next release.

I use the same HTML code each month. If I submit the code when I initially create the page, it fails.

So I have recently started to submit the page the first time, with essentially a blank "Long Description", then "Edit" the page and insert the HTML. (Just like "Show Stop" mentioned above.)

So the HTML does works the first time, however only if the page has already been submitted at least once previously.

And has PJPeters mentioned above, this problem also exists when you try to copy the code from the "Long Description" of an previous cache to a new cache.

Edited by GizmoGuy411

How are you constructing this template? Can you give an example here?

Here is a link to the exact HTML code as used each month for our NWOGEO Meet & Eats: Template

And again, this same code works fine when copy and pasted to the "Long Description", AFTER the first cache page submission, regardless of what was submitted the first time.

Edited by GizmoGuy411