Geocaching @ Oman via UAE roads

G-armi-N

I am planning to visit some cache in Hatta and Oman soils, eventually I heard that there are post and police checkpoints at the Oman borders, could someone list down what are the requirements for you to pass the boarder, well I am aware that I need to carry the following; but still some info I need to get

1. Passport- if I don’t carry my passport with me, do they consider the Labor Card which is commonly carried by some of the expats?

2. Car Insurance – I checked my Insurance and learned that my insurance geography is United Arab Emirates only, is there any insurance company along the way or prior to the boarder and purchase some policy or at least liability policy only as you will not stay long.

This are the things which I needed to get some facts, at least could someone share their experience while entering the boarders

thanks and regards

Armi a.k.a viga001

I am planning to visit some cache in Hatta and Oman soils, eventually I heard that there are post and police checkpoints at the Oman borders, could someone list down what are the requirements for you to pass the boarder, well I am aware that I need to carry the following; but still some info I need to get

1. Passport- if I don’t carry my passport with me, do they consider the Labor Card which is commonly carried by some of the expats?

2. Car Insurance – I checked my Insurance and learned that my insurance geography is United Arab Emirates only, is there any insurance company along the way or prior to the boarder and purchase some policy or at least liability policy only as you will not stay long.

This are the things which I needed to get some facts, at least could someone share their experience while entering the boarders

thanks and regards

Armi a.k.a viga001

Hi viga001

Yep caching in Oman is fairly easy. There are 2 options -going the whole hog and going all the way into Oman via both border posts (needed on a trip to Muscat for example). Or just caching in the "keyhole: between the 2 border posts. This area stretches from Al Ain up towards Hatta region. in this case you can get through via the UAE border post ONLY - the Omani post is about 40km further towards Oman. From Hatta I believe that you can get through without even a UAE post in some areas.

You need to show tyour passport and residence permit. Just let the border gaurd know that you are going into Oman for a :picnic" and will not be going as far as the Oman border post.

They normally have no problems. Also note that in Al ain - there are TWO border posts - you can only use the one near the hili Archeological park. The one closer to the town centre is for UAE and Omani nationals ONLY. No fees, no stamps are required. They may search your car, and I have even heard of some people needing to complete a form. But I've never had an issue.

If you go further towards Muscat (or northern side at RAK) - you will need to pay around AED100 to get in and get a passport stamp.

CAR INSURANCE - check with your company if you are covered for off road too. I'm with Axa - and they cover UAE & Oman. You can apply from them for additional cover - or increase your policy to a more inclusive policy. Check for 3 things - blood money - off road coverage and Oman coverage. You may also want to ask about alcohol cover too - and other people driving your vehicle.

Armi - to add to that:

Along Highway "E44" there are temporary UAE Police Checkpoints on the sides for entering back into the UAE manned by the UAE Border Guard Troops. They did not ask to see anything from me and just waved me through. Halfway across is the round-about the has a spur to the south that hits the real Oman/UAE Border Crossing. All of the geocaches along "E44" (Ar Rawdah and Abu Badi) are easy to hit up with no worries. The cache "Serenity (aka Serendipity) GC1BDYE, is very close to the Oman/UAE Border Crossing and does require you to enter Oman Officially. You might be able to work your way around the gravel field to the west to reach it but I doubt it.

I would bring your Passport/DL/Labor card with you just in case and always make sure you have insurance coverage for both sides even if your not going through the Official Border Crossing. Lots of livestock wandering around the tracks where the caches are located.

Eric