Screen on a GPSr

joezha

I am comparing a 256 color screen vs a 4 level gray scale. In what situations would one be more adventagous over the other?
Reading color maps!

Huge advantage no matter which one you decide on.

haha, youre joking with this sentence structure right? Huge advantage no matter which i choose?

Do color maps show changes in elevation better? Im using a grayscale gps right now and have yet to come across a drastic change in elevation that wasnt on the topo map or one that I couldn't quickly belay across.

So far I get a lot of "omg color rox".

Don't grayscale displays have better battery lifes?

Are there things not properly labeled on grayscale topo maps that are more apparent on color ones?

Definitely NOT. Speaking for Garmin, the best battery life unit Garmin ever made was the Vista/Legend/Venture Cx, rated at 32 hours on a pair of AAs. The B&W's did half that. Simply do a comparison of units, battery life is published for all and is quite accurate.

Are there things not properly labeled on grayscale topo maps that are more apparent on color ones?
For sure, use this screenshot from the Above the Timber website as an example:

ArchesColoRiver.gif

I see National Park, BLM and wilderness areas all at once simply by area color, only one has text. Try that with B&W.

When color came out I thought it was more gimmicky than useful, which was also my opinion on cell phones. Who needs a color screen? After mistaking a trail for a topo line and missing my turn I decided to go color. Detail is way more easier to see at a glance. My cell phone is only useful with color because of the camera, otherwise I can see the numbers and letters just fine in B&W.

I am comparing a 256 color screen vs a 4 level gray scale. In what situations would one be more adventagous over the other?
Reading color maps!

Huge advantage no matter which one you decide on.

haha, youre joking with this sentence structure right? Huge advantage no matter which i choose?

Do color maps show changes in elevation better? Im using a grayscale gps right now and have yet to come across a drastic change in elevation that wasnt on the topo map or one that I couldn't quickly belay across.

So far I get a lot of "omg color rox".

Yes when taken out of context, the sentence structure is incorrect. When placed in context with MtnHermit's comment, is a correct and accurate response.

Color maps provide much more detail than monochrome. If this isn't a true statement, we'd still be using the old IBM blue screens right?

Color provides instant visual cues to specific features from woodlands versus above the timberline, to parks versus neighborhoods, to waterways versus roadways just to name a few. It's a major advantage. It isn't just about elevation changes.

Battery life is minimally impacted by it. It isn't enough to worry about it. You should be carrying spare batteries anyway so this negates the battery life issue.

-=-=spelling=-=-

Edited by TotemLake

Most of the comments here are spot on. Current color screens are great for maps, readability in sunlight is a lot better than it used to be, and battery life impact is negligible.

There is only ONE specific instance where I still prefer a good monochrome screen over any color models I have seen: Bicycling.

With a handheld GPS, you are constantly, automatically adjusting the viewing angle. When it's bolted to your handlebars, the viewing angle is fixed -- even though the light around you (sun or shade, angle of incidence) constantly changes. For that situation, I've never found a color screen as consistently and easily readable as a good monochrome screen.

BUT -- on a bike I'm more interested in numeric displays and the occasional backtrack trail. If I used maps on the GPS as my cue sheet, I might still prefer a color screen in spite of visibility drawbacks.

AND -- the above is my opinion only. Everyone's visual acuity and preferences differ, and many folks surely find their color screens more readable in those cases than I would.