Hungry Trees

This thread is awesome. Some pretty interesting stuff here. I'f I ever stumble across something like this, I'll be sure to post it.

Just wait a few years and there will be a ton of ammo cans, match containers, peanut butter jars and film canisters embedded in trees.

I know of one that's like this already, Beaver Pond Intrigue -- plastic jar in a hollow tree base that cannot be removed (but is still accessible to log).

This thread is awesome. Some pretty interesting stuff here. I'f I ever stumble across something like this, I'll be sure to post it.

Just wait a few years and there will be a ton of ammo cans, match containers, peanut butter jars and film canisters embedded in trees.

Happened to me a couple of years ago.

Stage 1 was a dog tag (how appropriate ;) ) I had found somewhere. I engraved Stage 2 co-ordinates on it and screwed it onto the stub of a trimmed branch where the tree had started to grow over the stub. You needed to peer inside a hole to get the numbers. Eventually the tree closed-up the hole, but the dog-tag is still in there...somewhere.

Tree-Mendous GCT7HX A tree swallowing another tree? The bark on the bigger tree could be used as lumber.

This is the biggest tree I've seen in this area. Upon closer inspection, we realized it was 2 very different trees at one time. If you look closely at the 1st picture, the left side of the tree has very different bark. The other 2 pictures are closer side views. Best I could do at the time with phone camera.

20111014131345.jpg

1013111717-00.jpg

1013111717-01.jpg

I thought I'd posted to this, but I guess it was to the cemetery thread. I haven't seen very many hungry trees. I saw a cool one while caching a month or two ago, but it was in the dark. A wire fence went right through the center of a small tree, it almost looked like the tree was one of the wooden posts for the fence.

5065766404_c0de11cba5_z.jpg

nom nom by Ambrosia_apples, on Flickr

Patriots in the Woodlands

looks like this object is hungry for the tree.

Give it time... the tree will win.

If that location is close to home, you should go back and take a picture on the same day every year from the same spot. Would make a nice movie in about 20 or more years.

not a bad idea, remind me in a year. LOL

Austria firewood explodes in wood stove

VIENNA (AP) — Austrian police investigating a grenade blast were less puzzled by the explosion and more by where it took place — inside a wood stove that appeared to contain nothing but firewood.

The woman who owned the wood burner also had no clue at first. After all, she only put firewood inside.

Or so she thought.

Police spokeswoman Petra Datscher said Monday a World War II grenade apparently landed on a tree during fighting. It was then enveloped by wood growing around it to the point that it was invisible when the tree was chopped down for firewood and sold to the supermarket where the unidentified 22-year-old woman bought it.

The blast Sunday in the lakeside town of Gmunden shattered the stove's glass panel, but the sturdy wrought-iron stove prevented injuries.