Hungry Trees

Cool!!! Did it actually take the top off of the matchsafe? That's what it looks like. All that in 4 years.

Its ironic that you brought this thread back today. While I didn't grab any pictures, I went back to a park today where I had cached about 3 years ago, and was near a huge oak that has a three-inch wire cable running through it. I was only a couple hundred feet from the tree today... wish now that I had gone over and snapped a few.

And if it got the top off of it, did it sign the log????

I guess whoever parked this wagon here forgot to come back.

01-tree_eating.jpg

That, my friend, is a genuine antique manure spreader. If you've never run one take my word for it.It's a crappy job!

You're supposed to pull it not push it.. lot less crappy. :)

Looks like that tree is trying to push it.

Don't you wonder if it continues pushing at night when no one is watching?

I am late to this thread I'm afraid (having found it from the Firetacks thread elsewhere) but I hope you all don't mind. I just had to share this particular "hungry tree"! It's located in the old churchyard at St Pancras in London, UK, and the tree is slowly eating up old gravestones that were stacked around it after they were moved to create the nearby railway in Victorian times.

The tree is known as "The Hardy Tree" because Thomas Hardy (writer of Tess of the d'Urbervilles etc) did some of the work in moving the gravestones, long before he became famous for writing. Although I live in London, I only found out about this because one of the first geocaches I ever did was located there and it remains one of my favourite ever finds :(

74b.jpg

(image by Jacqueline Banerjee at Victorianweb, used with permission)

This one isn't as dramatic as some of the others in this thread, but I found a hungry tree the other day:

5e46c582-4dd3-4b1a-9907-c6c7bfaa8462.jpg

There must've been a fence at some time. The tree picked up the top metal pole of it and devoured it, then continued growing upwards, too, so there's a metal pole embedded in a tree, sticking out in the air way above your head. Very cool!

(Neat cache, too, Lost Communities.)

--Q

And, while this tree does not appear to have eaten anything, the cache is not appropriate for the location.

P4030213.jpg

(This is a fake junction box cover)

Maybe it's just me, but if I found this cache I'd probably have laughed my butt off and marked it as a favorite! Now a whole park of them would be different, but every now and then the unexpected can be good.

I hid a micro in this amazing willow oak tree back in '05. I was alone with no measuring device, but it took 4 hugs to get around the tree, so I estimate the circumference at 18-20'.

A few months ago logs mentioned that the cache was getting stuck in its nook. I finally replaced it this week and it took almost ten minutes of gentle persistant wiggling and tugging with pliers to remove the old matchstick case.

The tree:

7668755b-81da-498b-876d-0550a97668ad.jpg

The old cache:

fef6752b-f75b-4c9c-83a5-72fe98d41a29.jpg

That's the closest you will ever get to having a muggle proof cache! :laughing:

Not really related, but interesting - tree with a penis! http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z177/Mi...61PenisTree.jpg

You call that a penis tree? Here's a penis tree... :)

5610095288_940d77b75b.jpg

Interesting story (to some):

I grabbed this pic because I thought it was funny and submitted it to Weird NJ Magazine. It had the appendage and was "eating" a rock behind it. It was published and a few months later I was contacted by someone in the Lenepe Indian Tribe, and it was confirmed that this tree was a lost Marker Tree and is several hundred years old.

Back in the day, the Lenepe Indians tied down trees on thier path to point to thinks like lakes and crops, etc. The tree would grow in a bend like that and after a year or so, the tree was untied.

Edited by Schizoid2k

Not really related, but interesting - tree with a penis! http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z177/Mi...61PenisTree.jpg

You call that a penis tree? Here's a penis tree... :)

Interesting story (to some):

I grabbed this pic because I thought it was funny and submitted it to Weird NJ Magazine. It had the appendage and was "eating" a rock behind it. It was published and a few months later I was contacted by someone in the Lenepe Indian Tribe, and it was confirmed that this tree was a lost Marker Tree and is several hundred years old.

Back in the day, the Lenepe Indians tied down trees on thier path to point to thinks like lakes and crops, etc. The tree would grow in a bend like that and after a year or so, the tree was untied.

I am more interested in knowing if anyone else sees Jabba the Hut in that rock to the right. Maybe it's just me.

Bring me Solo and the wookie! They will pay for this outrage!

Here's a hungry tree we saw in the woods up above Bergen, Norway, while hunting caches around Skomakerdiket (Cobbler's Pond). As I understand it, this particular tree was force-fed by an artist, though it seems to be enjoying its new dietary options.

bergen21.jpg

Edited by hzoi

e454c414-a376-48f9-ac34-884450213c14.jpg

This tree is close to one of my caches. I'm not really sure what exactly the thing in the middle is. It almost looks like a foil pie container.

I'll snap a more clear photo myself next time I get out there.

Edited by mobywv

Here is a tree that seems to have eaten itself in Pennsylvania.

P7020388.jpg

P7020385.jpg

(Turn your head sideways ... I can't figure out how to rotate the photo)

And, while this tree does not appear to have eaten anything, the cache is not appropriate for the location.

P4030213.jpg

(This is a fake junction box cover)

where is this tree located? I really wanna see this up close..

I have found two nice omnivorous trees.

First a tree eating a yellow HIDDEN DRIVE sign along Concord Street in Gloucester, Massachusetts. The town took it easy and planted a new sign some feet away.

8d945633-79c2-444d-82df-5120bc9883fd.JPG

Second a tree chewing on a rusty NO VEHICLES sign in the middle of the woods and on top of Pool Hill in Rockport, Massachusetts.

0f41d69e-90cb-4960-a608-84e3d17c9e34.JPG

This is actually a cache location at Richard B Russel State Park. I thought it was cool that the tree was picking up the paint off the sign.

73913_907959684477_12624558_47558076_7965007_n.jpg

Wow! You bet it is!! I have never seen anything quite like that!!

Haha, that must be some sort of super slow eco-copier ... ;) Amazing!

This one is pretty cool!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=7e97277e-ef8e-4453-b87b-24e8fe51a86f

GCC6GH BYGONE DAYS

This cache is placed in a small roadside park. This park is noted for a unique farm implement that was left sitting in the field many years ago. The story goes that the implement was leaned against a small sapling when a young farmer went off to fight for the Union in the Civil War. Killed in the war, he never returned and the sapling grew into the mighty oak that still surrounds the metal parts of the implement. Check it out at these coords. N41.34.414 and W94.53.807. Enjoy this little bit of history.

The cache is a camoed L&L. There are also some leaflets in the cache with pictures and info about the landmark, feel free to take one.