New GPS

My Garmin Etrex Legend has bit the dust. I am looking for a unit that has more current technology. It will be used for geocaching, hiking, and fishing. Fishing is in coastal areas of Washinton state and inland lakes.

I have been looking at the Garmin Colorado 400t, Garmin 60scx, and Garmin 76 scx. Any suggestions ?

For current technology, you ought to consider one of the Garmin Oregon versions out, and perhaps the Delorme PN-40. If you're into fishing, you probably should consider the coast and/or lake maps that you can get.

I'm more familiar with the PN-40 offerings: they provide NOAA coastal charts in the all-you-can-download $30 annual subscription. They are also indicating there will be inland lake charts available come June, although my impression is that this may be sold as a separate program in itself.

Of course it all depends on your desires and needs. The 60Csx has some features which are nice for fishing (if you know how to use them and get the right accessories), caching or many other outdoor activities, it is very accurate and would serve you well. The CO 400T is a nice unit as well, I don't know very much about it though. I've heard the 76 is much like the 60Csx...but also do not know much about this unit!

As others have stated, the PN-40 is one you didn't mention, but one which would be a good fit as well. It's as accurate or more accurate than any mentioned above, has access to NOAA charts, aerial imagery and other subscriber maps. Like the CO 400T, it is paperless, will route you (right out of the box in the case of the PN-40) and is either simple to use (for beginners with little experience) to technical and advanced (for those wishing to do much more than simply find a cache and post a log).

Your best bet is to do some comparing and maybe even find a store with all the models you are thinking about. Then, you can hold the units, test them and pick the brains of the store salesman (but, don't be surprised if the salesman isn't as knowledged as some in these forums, or biased toward the most expensive or model of their choice)!

Rockin Roddy

President

DeLorme Fanboy Club

Edited by Rockin Roddy
I've heard the 76 is much like the 60Csx...but also do not know much about this unit!

The 76CSx is physically larger and has it's buttons placed above the screen. The reason for the larger is size is most likely to bring down the density as it is designed to float. You could say that it is the Marine version of the 60CSx. When it comes to non cosmeticals differences I believe there are none.

Stay away from the Colorado. Bad History. And it appears to be EOL'd by Garmin.

If you want Garmin, the Oregon is the paperless caching GPS to go with.

The 60CSx is a fabulous unit. Just doesn't support paperless caching.

There is nothing wrong with the colorado's. It seems they have worked out a lot of their issues. Been using it for over a year now and no serious problems after the last firmware uograde. As for it being the end of line, I doubt it being still relatively new. Costco just started selling these so that usually says they are still making them and selling them.

I also own a oregon and its really good also, it seems garmin has put more time into updating this unit than the colorado but the oregon is a great line of products.

Depends on how much you want to spend.

I'm sure it is not me, but it is getting old seeing you bash the Colorado on every possible thread you see.

You remember what your mother said....if you don't have anything good to say....

I'm sure it is not me, but it is getting old seeing you bash the Colorado on every possible thread you see.

You remember what your mother said....if you don't have anything good to say....

He may be giving opinion based on outdated information (or personal experience), this would explain why the disdain. Seen it with the PN-40 too, many used it before the updates and such and sometimes still give outdated information.