These caches Need help

JABs

Ok I am sick of some local cachers not proforming maintenance on there caches and after a long time of placing SBA or Needs Maintenance on the cache page, I have even tried sending our local reveiwer or two a list of caches that require help, are full of water, have been missing and disabled for over two months and now a month later that still sit there wet missing broken or even co-ords way off.

Why have I posted here maybe it is just to vent, but allready I fell better.

These are only some of the list but I feel heaps better.

Jewel in the CrownGCP089

up there climbing a week ago and its gone.One wood one BrickGCP08Abeen wet for along timeI got the deadend bluesGCPCGAbeen wet since July 07Life SaverGCQMGQStopped by larst week with daughter tin was full of water and no sign of owner Wee Willy GCXK4FBeen missing since Dec 08 J.C's Grove GCTA4Qhas a long history of problems Holy Park GCXERPmaintenance posted July 08 Old Rankins GCT9R9

April 08 was first needs maitenance note. Vella's View GCTAQVthis one first noted wet back in Nov 07 Judy's View GCQ7PPFebuary 09 wet MEAT SHOP APPARTMENTGCX1ZFinteresting history co-ords may need updating. Total EclipseGC1BDHClarst find July 08 owner not logged since Dec 08 Rally Round GCP2VVDisabled January.

It really makes you appreciate the cache owners who read the logs or respond to the messages and take appropriate actions even that much more. I have sent messages to CO's before and had them take time to thank me for letting them know what the issues are. I have also been ignored, but I appreciate the CO's replying to me.

Edited by Winstonsdad

If one hates to see caches (especially decent ones) fall into disrepair due to lack of cache owner maintenance, one could always grab some log books, tape, new containers, etc. and do some repairs themselves for the enjoyment of future finders. It wouldn't kill a person... </.02>

Yes I'm having this problem and don't know what to do about it.

Some cache owners have responded well. I have put new logs in many caches, but there's only so much i can do on site. One ammo box needed a new seal. I don't carry those. Another: GCQ31K

is one where the object is a fake rock, or I should say, WAS a fake rock. It has been confirmed stolen. It needs to be replaced or disabled. Do I put out the expense of a fake rock into a cache that is not being maintained? No. If they want to turn the cache over to someone who will maintain it, that's another story. But I'm just not up to pouring good money into something that is not taken care of. (It's too exposed of a site anyway. I would put another type of cache there myself.)

I've written to the cache owner. People keep listing they try to find it and then get mad when they come home and read the logs to find it is confirmed Gone.

What do I do?

GCQ31K
I've written to the cache owner. People keep listing they try to find it and then get mad when they come home and read the logs to find it is confirmed Gone.

What do I do?

The owner of that cache hasn't logged into their account since October of 2008. With the string of DNF's and Needs Maintainance logs and no response from the CO, it's probably time to get the reviewer involved so the cache can at least get disabled to keep people from hunting for it.

Bruce

We also carry extra supplies to help maintain caches in need. We have no problem in doing this at all. All it takes is an extra few minutes to make things good for next cacher who comes along.

What does bother us is when we notice it's the same owner of a whole lot of caches that are in need of confirmation if they are missing after a string of DNFs. We shouldn't have to email the owner every single time when it's the owner responsiblity to maintain their own caches.

Yes, we enjoy doing what we can to help, but at the same time there's only so much we can do.

Ok I am sick of some local cachers not proforming maintenance on there caches and after a long time of placing SBA or Needs Maintenance on the cache page, I have even tried sending our local reveiwer or two a list of caches that require help, are full of water, have been missing and disabled for over two months and now a month later that still sit there wet missing broken or even co-ords way off.

Jewel in the CrownGCP089

up there climbing a week ago and its gone

This is always a tough subject. It's gone? Or not where you found it? You did not log a DNF. No 'Needs Maintenance'. 3 DNFs in a row doesn't necessarily mean very much. Owner still active. 3 for difficulty. One of our local "Cachers of the Year" admits not being able to find one of his caches. But others are logging it. If you're absolutely sure that it's gone, then you might consider logging a 'Needs Maintenance." But, how is anyone going to know that it's missing if you don't post that?

This is always a tough subject. It's gone?

The way I found out this one was gone was I e-mailed someone who had found it in the near past and asked them if it was where I thought it should be. Happened the woman I e-mailed had gone back to find it to show the unique container to her friend and confirmed it was indeed gone. This was an easy one because it's in an open area: a fake rock. It would be easy to find if you knew what it looked like.

So my next question, is how do I contact the reviewer for this area to let them know about this cache being gone when the owner seems to have abandoned it?

People do quit caching and lose interest after a while. If they have no interest they should pass it on. This person has not logged on since I think Oct 08 someone told me. I suspect they have changed their e-mail address, or they just aren't interested.

How do I contact the reviewer? I'm new to this game.

The reviewer should be the first log on the web page - the log with the green circle. If you don't see one, some old caches didn't list the publication note, then try another close cache. Email them the cache number and describe what's going on.

You could also post a "Needs Archived" log on the cache. That will be sent to both the cache owner and the local reviewer.

Jewel in the CrownGCP089

This is always a tough subject. It's gone? Or not where you found it? You did not log a DNF. No 'Needs Maintenance'. 3 DNFs in a row doesn't necessarily mean very much. Owner still active. 3 for difficulty. One of our local "Cachers of the Year" admits not being able to find one of his caches. But others are logging it. If you're absolutely sure that it's gone, then you might consider logging a 'Needs Maintenance." But, how is anyone going to know that it's missing if you don't post that?

Why have I not posted a note or SBA is it is the same owner who I am always posting those note on his cache pages this one is a little distance from his place (40km) alot of his other caches that need help are withing 10-20km of the town he lives in and he even drives parst several each on the way to work.

It is just hard when sometimes you don't even get a answer. The answer is yes it is gone only one place an Ammo can could be hidden up there, posting a note or sending an email usually gets no answer or if I am lucky he will disable it with a . for a reply and then it will stay disabled for a couple of months till I send him another email or post a SBA not.

Yes I know I sound like the cache police but I try to keep our area up to date, just needed to vent.

Ok I am sick of some local cachers not proforming maintenance ...

Is that how you choose to live? Sick and angry over the simple fact that if someone puts a freaking box out in the world for people like you to enjoy they can get wet when people like you don't do your part to maintain them? Your part being to shut the lid, not drop the lobook in a canal and such? I can tell you that I didn't pour water in my cache and I sure as hell didn't drop the log book in a canal and then complain it was wet but man do I ever hear about it.

Yes it's my job to maintain my cache to my standards on my schedule. It's not to chase around the people who want surgury room clean cache.

Find the balance. A cache that's missing. Yup, that's a problem. A cache with a wet log?, find a pen that writes on them, it won't be the last you ever see. Sign the log and get on with life. The world didn't end with a damp or wet cache that you had the pleasure of finding.

Maybe we should have a "certified princessa and the pea caches for the discriminating finders who don't like a damp, icky world" those kind of people could place and maitain their own caches.

Ok I feel better with that off my chest.

OK, I think I've got this figured out now.

I'm going to be sure to carry dry log sheets when I cache. I already carry baggies for those that need new baggies.

I wrote the reviewer, and he/she told me to log that that missing cache needs archiving. I said I'd take over it, and they said there's nothing to take over since it's missing. they said the person who placed it owns it so I shouldn't just replace the container. I need to note it needs archiving and then if that doesn't rattle the cage of the owner, then it will disapear and anyone else can place a new cache there and (hopefully) maintain it.

I have some waterproof paper I'm going to carry with me for all these wet logs.

The containers belong to the owners so I can't do anything about them.

I'll do what I can and not worry about the rest.

I do want to say, I had a GREAT experience with one owner recently checking on their cache when I suspected it missing. They were RIGHT on it and found it gone (a different one).

there are a lot of cache owners out there that deserve cudo's (good mention) for all their hard work in making sure the rest of us have fun.

I'm going to place my first cache soon. it's good for me to see the responsibility and importance of good cache maintance.

And it's good for the rest of us to remember, "it's just a game".

SS

Jewel in the CrownGCP089

Why have I not posted a note or SBA is it is the same owner who I am always posting those note on his cache pages this one is a little distance from his place (40km) alot of his other caches that need help are withing 10-20km of the town he lives in and he even drives parst several each on the way to work.

It is just hard when sometimes you don't even get a answer. The answer is yes it is gone only one place an Ammo can could be hidden up there, posting a note or sending an email usually gets no answer or if I am lucky he will disable it with a . for a reply and then it will stay disabled for a couple of months till I send him another email or post a SBA not.

Yes I know I sound like the cache police but I try to keep our area up to date, just needed to vent.

Okay. Only one possible place the ammo can could be (within reasonable distance of cachers who hide it 'a bit better'.) Absolutely sure that it is gone. Fair enough.

Sometimes geocaching runs slower than molasses in January (or July for those Down Under).

I would suggest the first step being: Posting a Needs Maintenance' note stating that you are positive that it is missing. This warns other cachers that it is missing. They may enjoy the view or the adventure, but they will not find the cache.

Then, I would shoot a note to the reviewer explaining the situation. (This has worked for me.) "Dear Reviewer: Havng found this cache previously, I am absolutely certain that it is missing. I have posted a 'Needs Maintenance' note." This puts the situation in the hands of the reviewer to do what said reviewer wishes to do, or wishes not to do. With any luck, said reviewer will post a note asking "What's Up?". Followed by making it temporarily unavailable. Followed by archival if nothing is done in a reasonable amount of time (varying from two weeks to three months...) This is the way the system was designed to work.

But, with absolute certainty that it is missing, I would definitely start with the 'Needs Maintenance' note.

OK, I think I've got this figured out now.

I'm going to be sure to carry dry log sheets when I cache. I already carry baggies for those that need new baggies.

I wrote the reviewer, and he/she told me to log that that missing cache needs archiving. I said I'd take over it, and they said there's nothing to take over since it's missing. they said the person who placed it owns it so I shouldn't just replace the container. I need to note it needs archiving and then if that doesn't rattle the cage of the owner, then it will disapear and anyone else can place a new cache there and (hopefully) maintain it.

I have some waterproof paper I'm going to carry with me for all these wet logs.

The containers belong to the owners so I can't do anything about them.

I'll do what I can and not worry about the rest.

I do want to say, I had a GREAT experience with one owner recently checking on their cache when I suspected it missing. They were RIGHT on it and found it gone (a different one).

there are a lot of cache owners out there that deserve cudo's (good mention) for all their hard work in making sure the rest of us have fun.

I'm going to place my first cache soon. it's good for me to see the responsibility and importance of good cache maintance.

And it's good for the rest of us to remember, "it's just a game".

SS

There ya go -- & that's the spirit!! And it's the game you're helping, not necessarily someone who won't take care of their responsibility. (For whatever reasons)

~*

~*

when I can't get an owner response to a definite "gone missing or needs more repair than I can do" cache I will log a needs archiving with a note to the reviewer asking them to at least disable the cache to save future seekers a wasted trip. Our local reviewers are pretty good about disabling and then trying to contact the cache owner to give them ample opportunity to make things right before they actually archive.