Buying New Garmin Maps - DVD or microSD?

I'm a long time user of maps on DVD, so I'm pretty familiar with MapSource and loading maps from it. I'm currently using a 60CSx with NT 2008, DVD version.

I have an Oregon on the way, and want to buy a 2009 map set for it . . . I don't know if I want to continue buying the DVD or if I should buy the maps on microSD. I've never purchased a set on microSD, so I'm curious about the differences between the two.

I know if I buy the DVD version I'll need to buy a microSD for the Oregon to load the maps to. Are there any advantages to buying them on pre-loaded on microSD? Once I use the preloaded microSD in one GPS, can I use it in another? Does the card version still include a version of MapSource so that I can manage waypoints and the like via computer?

Thanks!

DVD- Can plan/use maps on PC but maps are "locked to" one GPS by GPS serial #.

Card- Cannot install / use on PC, but card can be moved/used in more than one GPS (ie-maps are locked "to Card")

Also, cannot log additional data to card with pre-installed maps on card.

I can put additional material on the pre-installed card. I put geocache gpx files there all the time. I can't put additional maps on there.

I had a similar situation to the OP. I had CN 2008 on my PC and linked to my 60CSx. I decided to buy CN 2009 on microSD card so I could use it in both my OR 300 and my 60CSx. The only down side is that I cannot view the new roads on my PC but that is not a huge issue.

What I like is that I now have CN 2009 on the microSD and I can also load topo maps on the OR's internal memory. Get best of both worlds.

Tequila,

If I buy 2009 maps for the Oregon on a card, can I still access the Oregon with my existing MapSource 2008 (locked to the 60CSX) and view the Oregon's waypoints on the 2008 maps?

- - - -

I had a similar situation to the OP. I had CN 2008 on my PC and linked to my 60CSx. I decided to buy CN 2009 on microSD card so I could use it in both my OR 300 and my 60CSx. The only down side is that I cannot view the new roads on my PC but that is not a huge issue.

What I like is that I now have CN 2009 on the microSD and I can also load topo maps on the OR's internal memory. Get best of both worlds.